TCTTS - make this a movie

9,042 Views | 113 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by bearamedic99
ORAggieFan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Here is a super long twitter post that is worth a read and would be a cool movie with a good writer. Hard to beat drugs and cons.

Easier to read version here https://threader.app/thread/1130704462950076416
Raptor
AG
Hollywood gets ahold of it and it's an all female lead with Alec Baldwin playing Donald Trump.
This post is for Cretaceous Level Subscribers only.

TCTTS
AG
Before I even clicked on this, and saw just the subject line, I was ready to explain why it wouldn't work, without even knowing what "it" was. I have friends and family members who send me articles/books all the time, that they think we should adapt, and I swear, it blows my mind what people think is "movie worthy."

This, however, delivered.

At least as an on-the-edge-of-my-seat tweet thread.

Funny lead, great antagonists, and a hilariously riveting predicament.

My only notes would be ...

- There doesn't really seem to be anything motivating this Shane guy other than the thrill of ******* with someone and scoring some extra cash. In the movie version, that's not quite enough. Shane would have to be in desperate NEED of the money; he needs a life-saving surgery, has to pay off a gambling debt with a ticking clock, there's been a foreclosure on his house, etc. Something along those lines. And then, lo and behind, he comes across this brick of heroin, he has a choice to make, and hijinks ensue. Or else you risk not having much empathy for him, or a reason to root for him, as he does kind of come off like a bit of a thrill-seeking d*ck, when you get down to it (though, admittedly, a hilarious d*ck).

- The MS-13 guys would in some way need to get the upper hand at one point, and there'd likely need to be some kind of final square-off with them. As bad as those dudes were, and as much as they deserved what they had coming, it's not enough to simply almost have an almost run-in with them at a motel and then *****with them just for the thrill of ******* with them after.

All that said, A) I'd be shocked if some Hollywood someone or another isn't already talking to this guy, and B) depending on how much you have to add to the story, you start to getting into that blurred area of whether you even need his life rights or not. At a certain point, frankly, it becomes WAY easier to just create an original story from scratch, and borrow the very basic premise, without having to deal with this guy at all.

That, and frankly, while this story is most likely true, there's one thing that yells "fake" to me and it's the fact that this Shane guy thinks he's 100% free and clear, to the point where he's using his real name and publicly admitting to selling a ****-ton of drugs. As viral as this has gotten, it'd be relatively "easy" for these MS-13 guys to not only hear about this in jail, but then have one their buddies find this guy and kill him. I just don't think that even this Shane guy is that stupid, and I don't know, he kind of wraps it up with too perfect of a bow at the end. But I could be wrong...
Sports-Ag
AG
Wow. I felt all these reactions while reading.

Lastly just because it's funny.

ORAggieFan
Well, I'll take that summary.
double aught
AG
That's a pretty good read.
JW_TXAG13
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Todd Phillips

Calling it.
Punked Shank
AG
Good story and alot of his writing style screams made up to me...but that may be him selling the story...but still entertaining. Had a I Hope they serve beer in hell feel to it
Satellite of Love
Jansen90 said:

Look at when TCTTS posted and the time of this tweet. He read the tweets, downplayed the idea on TA, started making phones calls to his buddys, and by 1:30 am bought the movie rights before anyone else could.

TIL, TCTTS is a big shot Hollywood director paling around with us smucks on TA in between shooting movie scenes.
bad_teammate said on 2/10/21:
Just imagine how 1/6 would've played out if DC hadn't had such strict gun laws.

Two people starred his post as of the time of this signature. Those 3 people are allowed to vote in the US.
caddy
TCTTS's notes sound like the script for True Romance to me
Duncan Idaho
He's Richard Linklater
JW_TXAG13
AG
My exact thoughts
Sex Panther
AG
I didn't want to say anything, but TC is Werner Herzog
ORAggieFan
TCTTS said:

My only notes would be ...

- There doesn't really seem to be anything motivating this Shane guy other than the thrill of ******* with someone and scoring some extra cash. In the movie version, that's not quite enough. Shane would have to be in desperate NEED of the money; he needs a life-saving surgery, has to pay off a gambling debt with a ticking clock, there's been a foreclosure on his house, etc. Something along those lines. And then, lo and behind, he comes across this brick of heroin, he has a choice to make, and hijinks ensue. Or else you risk not having much empathy for him, or a reason to root for him, as he does kind of come off like a bit of a thrill-seeking d*ck, when you get down to it (though, admittedly, a hilarious d*ck).

So, I was thinking about this and was reminded of the movie "21" as compared to the real story. Back in the day, I had spent some time with J.P. Masser, known as Mr. M and played by Kevin Spacey in the movie. Met a few of the students as well. The truth in the movie was basically there was a group from MIT that would count and use signals. The rest was pure fiction. Funny to see a nice, small nerdy Jewish guy being played by a mean Spacey for Hollywood.
TexasAggies06
AG
Post removed:
by user
Quinn
AG
Very entertaining, but he made that story up or extremely embellished it, right?
COOL LASER FALCON
There's only one acting choice for the lead if I'm making this movie.

jackie childs
Quinn said:

Very entertaining, but he made that story up or extremely embellished it, right?
i hope so...or if not, that it occurred long enough ago that the statute of limitations has run
Punked Shank
AG
COOL LASER FALCON said:

There's only one acting choice for the lead if I'm making this movie.

Yes.
Raptor
AG
27 people named Shane Morris in Atlanta

MS-13 has Google as well
This post is for Cretaceous Level Subscribers only.

TCTTS
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
TCTTS said:

I swear, it blows my mind what people think is "movie worthy."
One of these days, it would be interesting to see you post a "bottom 20" or some such of all of the serious dog**** that people throw your way. My expectations are really high/low (as in someone wanting you to figure out how to do a buddy cop movie where one cop is an anthropomorphsized pineapple with a devil-may-care attitude and the other is a by-the-book do gooder with a deep secret that leads to zany adventures).
TCTTS
AG
My "favorite" so far has been from one of my brother-in-laws, who went to Iowa State. Apparently their football stadium is the first stadium named after an African American. My brother-in-law was like, "You should totally do a movie about him." And I go, "Ok, what's his story?" And he goes, "Oh, I have no idea."

It's stuff like that. Where people think a little nugget or the most bare-bones fact can somehow be made into a movie. Or they'll send me an article or book that's 95% like a movie that's already come out. There was an article - I can't remember the details - but a friend of my dad sent it to me and it was basically the exact same plot as Remember the Titans. And when I told him as much he goes, "Yeah, but this would be Remember the Titans set in TEXAS." And when you try to explain that's not how it works, they think you're just not being creative enough or that you're just blowing them off.

On the flip side, we currently own the rights to a Texas Monthly article that DID come at the recommendation of a friend's wife, an article I'm personally adapting (and almost done with), so it's not all bad.
Quinn
AG
Great idea - we definitely need to hear about some of the worst pitches TC gets.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
I guess that makes more sense -- just factoids that don't really move the needle or have any usable plot or rehashes of stuff that has been done.

Is that just something you have to suffer because of the nature of your work and because for the 999 garbage ideas that get tossed your way, there really is the 1 good one?
TCTTS
AG
Exactly. When we started our company, which is all about acquiring articles/books/life rights, then either adapting them in-house or packaging them with talent, studios, etc. - I never anticipated how many friends/family/colleagues would send us material. And how many times I would have to explain why their recommendation wouldn't work. It's kind of a headache, as we find most of what we go after on our own, but it's totally worth it when one or two of those suggestions end up being gold.
ham98
TCTTS said:

My "favorite" so far has been from one of my brother-in-laws, who went to Iowa State. Apparently their football stadium is the first stadium named after an African American. My brother-in-law was like, "You should totally do a movie about him." And I go, "Ok, what's his story?" And he goes, "Oh, I have no idea."

It's stuff like that. Where people think a little nugget or the most bare-bones fact can somehow be made into a movie. Or they'll send me an article or book that's 95% like a movie that's already come out. There was an article - I can't remember the details - but a friend of my dad sent it to me and it was basically the exact same plot as Remember the Titans. And when I told him as much he goes, "Yeah, but this would be Remember the Titans set in TEXAS." And when you try to explain that's not how it works, they think you're just not being creative enough or that you're just blowing them off.

On the flip side, we currently own the rights to a Texas Monthly article that DID come at the recommendation of a friend's wife, an article I'm personally adapting (and almost done with), so it's not all bad.

The cartel next door?
Mr.Ackar07
TCTTS said:

Or they'll send me an article or book that's 95% like a movie that's already come out.
Have I told you about this story I wrote called Billy and the Cloneasaurus?

redd38
AG
I definitely wouldn't be posting about stealing $10,000 from MS-13 under my real name and picture.

He ded
Dekker_Lentz
AG
TCTTS said:

While I don't know if it should be a movie per se. Jack Trice's story is pretty interesting. Basically he was the first African American football player at Iowa State in 1923 and died from injuries suffered from a game against Minnesota.

"During the second play of the game, Trice's collarbone was broken. Trice insisted he was all right and returned to the game. In the third quarter, while attempting to tackle a University of Minnesota ball carrier, Trice was trampled by three Minnesota players. Although he claimed to be fine, Trice was removed from the game and sent to a Minneapolis hospital. The doctors declared him fit to travel and he returned by train to Ames with his teammates. On October 8, 1923, Trice died from hemorrhaged lungs and internal bleeding as a result of the injuries sustained during the game. "

From 1924-1989 Iowa State and Minnesota didn't play as a result.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Trice

Also looks like there was a play and maybe a movie pitch floating around.
TCTTS
AG
Interesting. Maybe my brother-in-law was on to something!

(but yeah, doesn't sound like there's quite enough there)
'03ag
Years ago on the Football Board somebody suggested that the story of E King Gill would make a great movie . . .

Imagine the Hans Zimmer swell as Gill suits up, walks out of the tunnel . . . And stands there for 90 minutes.
TCTTS
AG
I've got a better A&M football movie I've kept tucked away in my back pocket for years. I don't know if I'll ever do it, as the story would have to be embellished ever so slightly, and would require a ton of research, but man, it would be epic...
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.