Shows that actually had a GOOD ending?

8,335 Views | 114 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Humorous Username
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Please don't misinterpret any of this as me claiming that one show is definitively better than other. Again, I'm just stating my personal preference.

That said, I'm in 100% agreement that the first two season of Parks and Rec are no bueno, while The Office takes a pretty steep dive after Michael leaves.
Bunk Moreland
The Office goes from elite to very good after Jim and Pam's wedding. It falls off a cliff when Michael leaves and ultimately gets downright unwatchable at some point. The finale was wonderful though.

Parks and Rec was funny in a silly way in s1-2 then became elite for a handful of seasons. About the point of Recall Knope it fell from elite to very good with elite moments sprinkled throughout till the finish.

jeffk
AG
All already mentioned by my favorites are

FNL - Taylor's "You May never know how proud I am of you." to Vince and that perfect montage set to Delta Spirit's "Devil Knows You're Dead" to Riggin's last Texas Forever may never be topped for me.

Justified - "We dug coal together."

Parks and Rec - I literally hated the first several episodes of the final season but they executed the turn perfectly and nailed the series ending in a way I didn't think possible.
gonemaroon
AG
6 feet under, literally knowing how the entire cast lived out their life
oragator
I watched the first season off P&R on Netflix, and stopped watching. I told a friend about it, and they assured me that season 1 was not great but to stick with it, glad I did, I never felt a drop off, but I think for some reason when you binge watch the episodes seem more stable, because if you hit a bad one you are on the next one on five minutes, there isn't a week to sit around and critique it. Makes shows more watchable.
I will say it again, Ron Swanson is my all time favorite sitcoms character. It's him, Norm from Cheers, Homer before they made him totally stupid, Cartman, and of course have to hold a spot for Hank Nono.
TCTTS
AG
Agreed. Second go around, Recall Knope is the first time it dipped for me, even if just a smidge. I think that's why I'm liking the final season so much is partly because that stuff's over and done with. And yeah, for me, when The Office starts to introduce the cameraman as a character, and the plot starts to involve their documentary being an actual thing in that world, it really is unwatchable.
TCTTS
AG
oragator said:

I will say it again, Ron Swanson is my all time favorite sitcoms character. It's him, Norm from Cheers, Homer before they made him totally stupid, Cartman, and of course have to hold a spot for Hank Nono.
Please tell me you mean "NoHo Hank." Because I really want to start calling him "Hank Nono" now.

(And yes, Ron Swanson is my all time favorite as well.)
PatAg
AG
I think Jim if my favorite character of all between the two shows, but I like Parks and Rec more than The Office. Love both.

Brooklyn Nine Nine is easily my favorite current show.
Fenrir
The flu episode of p&r is among my favorite episodes of any show. Chris and Ben made that show so much better.
91_Aggie
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

LOST
Stop trolling
Muy
AG
Cheers
Duncan Idaho
powerbelly said:

Parks and rec is my all time #1 sitcom.

It was good.. great even but never really reached the high water mark of the first season. It just wasnt the same show after markeft and Christmas and Ben came on.
Muy
AG
Yeah, Newhart was great. I wasn't a Mash fan but I did enjoy their last episode.
oragator
Haha, yeha, long day, thanks for catching it.

But as a reward,

TresPuertas
AG
I'm one of about 9 people in America who watched Treme, but I thought they did a great job wrapping it up. The Wire as well. Both were David Simon projects so I guess that tells us something

I've watched the office in its entirety about 3 times and I'll agree that the last couple of seasons were kind of a disaster but the way it ended was a huge rebound.

I was pretty ambivalent about last night. I've accepted that nobody was going to ever be happy, myself included, so I've decided to put it to bed and let it be. *****ing about it at this point isn't going to get me anywhere. It's over. Time to move on

And sorry to be negative Nancy but I've got to reiterate that HIMYM was the all time worst ending of any show I've ever invested in. I literally HATED the show by the last season but I had been watching it for so long I had to go ahead and finish it
jeffk
AG
Stop.
Pooping.
powerbelly
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

powerbelly said:

Parks and rec is my all time #1 sitcom.

It was good.. great even but never really reached the high water mark of the first season. It just wasnt the same show after markeft and Christmas and Ben came on.
You set the hook a little hard on that one.
Bunk Moreland
Mentioned on P1... The Shield was pretty good. Was so fitting for Vic to have to go out like he did.
hph6203
AG
Chernobyl. It's not over yet, but it will.
Duncan Idaho
Not to mention that autocorrect really ****ed it up.

But hey, if I hooked someone with the dexter/Monty python post....
PharmD4
AG
Not the type of show OP was looking for, but the first thing that came to mind was Mythbusters. The finale was fantastic.
Bunk Moreland
Am i the only member of the Brandanequits fan club? I thought he was great. The problem was he was a more sarcastic version of Jim. Not his fault but Jim was already a thing. Everything worked out right with him leaving and Ben/Chris arriving so no hate or blame on anyone.
Paladin05
AG
Twelve Monkeys on Syfy. Stunningly good finale. One of those that makes you glad you stuck it out for the whole series.
Azariah
AG
The Shield had the greatest ending of anything I've ever seen.
CowtownAg06
AG
Parks is my #1 all time period of any genre. I love the Office too, but to me what sets Parks apart is finding comedy in the joy of the characters. Mike Schur has said that they started out with Leslie Knope being a female Michael Scott. Once they realized that she was the hero of the show and not the joke is when it took off.

To make this relevant to the ending, the finale of S6 would have been perfect. However, I always wonder what happens to characters after their stories are done, and to get that in such a fulfilling way was excellent.
Beat40
TCTTS said:

I'm literally almost done with a Parks and Rec rewatch, smack dab in the middle of the last season, and you're crazy if you think the last season is anywhere even in the vicinity of "trash." I'm actually shocked at how strong it's ending, as I didn't remember it being this good the first time around.

And while I'm at it, I might as well stoke the fire even more... I love The Office, and it is inarguably the more iconic show, but my rewatch of Parks and Rec has solidified it as my favorite of the two. I don't know that I've ever loved a cast, top to bottom, as much as I love the Parks and Rec crew.

100% agree with you. I love The Office, but after my rewatch of Parks and Rec, I decided I liked Parks and Rec more.

For me, I connect with the P&R characters more.

As an accountant, Ben's character is awesome.

"You should let me do the talking. Accountants and Lawyers speak the language. Obviously accountants at e a little more bad boy, but there's a respec there."
rhutton125
AG
I liked the ending to Chuck, even if people don't care as much for the final season. (It's a show that faced cancellation many times, so there are several "could have ended there" finales and midseason finales, because they thought that was maybe all they'd get.)
gambochaman
AG
Game of Thrones
Zombie Jon Snow
AG

Great
---------------
Sopranos
The Wire
Justified
M*A*S*H
Cheers
Breaking Bad
The Wonder Years

Good
--------------
The Americans
Game of Thrones
How I Met Your Mother
Downton Abbey
Mad Men
30 Rock

Not Good
---------------
LOST
Seinfeld
Friends
easttexasaggie04
AG
I've never seen The Leftovers. Do you recommend?
TCTTS
AG
Absolutely. But see my follow up post below. If you can make it through season one, all the better (it really is good, it's just... a lot), but if not, maybe watch the pilot and the S1 finale, and read about everything else, knowing the show becomes something completely different (and far superior) in seasons two and three...

Quote:

Season one is one of the slowest, most maddening, most depressing shows I've ever seen. It's good, no doubt, but I could never sit through it again. That said, they completely retool the series in season two - same story/core characters, but a new setting (Texas), along with new/additional cast members, who are great. It remains just as dour at times, but takes some crazy, captivating risks that are just so thrilling to watch. Season two is a masterpiece, IMO, and then season three takes everything I loved about season two, but goes in an ever cooler, Lost-like direction, changing settings yet again, but culminating in one of the best series finales I've ever seen. Honestly, what I'd do is just read a recap of season one, maybe watch the season one finale, but then start "fresh" with season two. It's an entirely different experience.
FTACO97
AG
I'm still baffled why they tried Scrubs season 9 as season 8 finale was awesome.

I nominate Big Bang Theory as that was a solid finale.
Cancelled
AG
Newhart.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
JABQ04 said:

Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

M * A * S * H

Glad to see this was first.
For anyone older than 40, it should be the only choice.

I don't watch much TV these days, but when I was younger and all through my years at A&M, M * A * S * H was my go-to show.
Broba Fett
Bruce Almighty said:

Breaking Bad
Sopranos
Band of Brothers
King of the Hill
Black Sails

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.