Star Wars Rewatch Project: ROGUE ONE: A STAR WARS STORY

10,705 Views | 95 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Dekker_Lentz
YouBet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Easter egg for those that aren't aware of it....in the beginning of the movie as we are leaving Jedda for the first time the camera is showing a sky shot of the fallen Obi Wan statue. The very next scene we go to the planet Wobani.

An obvious anagram and confirmation of who that statue is. I'm not sure I noticed this during first watch.
Flashdiaz
AG
The only time I use the 3D function (and 3D BluRay) on the Projector is for the last 30 min of Rogue One... it is awesome!
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
YouBet said:

Easter egg for those that aren't aware of it....in the beginning of the movie as we are leaving Jedda for the first time the camera is showing a sky shot of the fallen Obi Wan statue. The very next scene we go to the planet Wobani.

An obvious anagram and confirmation of who that statue is. I'm not sure I noticed this during first watch.
I agree with the anagram, but never seen any confirmation that the statue is Obi-Wan. For one thing it looks ancient. Obi-Wan is 60 years old when Rogue One takes place, it seems unlikely that this planet with its ancient Temple of the Whills would also have an enormous statue to a Jedit who had been active in the last 40 years.
Flashdiaz
AG
And why immortalize Obi Wan and not Yoda? Yoda would have taken less material and be more budget friendly
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG

Quote:

And why immortalize Obi Wan and not Yoda? Yoda would have taken less material and be more budget friendly
Yarael Poof would have been really fun, if not that affordable.

It must have been really difficult to spar with lightsabers against this guy and resist cutting his head off.
Flashdiaz
AG
It's only like that when he's excited.
YouBet
AG
Ah. I thought it had been confirmed it was Ben.
cbr
AG
Flashdiaz said:

yoda was contractually obligated to sesame street for eternity.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Just rewatched. Still awesome. 10/10 eending.
jokershady
AG
tamuangry
jokershady said:

This is hands down my favorite Star Wars movie! I love it! Love it! Love it!

Where do I start?

The negative: the first time seeing it, it was a bit tough to follow at the beginning. The planet hopping got me lost at least once. And the music wasn't great.

But other than that.....

This film gives me a lightsaber sized erection with a giant Death Star on the end of it! Here's why in no particular order:

The acting: all new characters that I completely 100% cared for by the end of the film. They were fighting for something bigger than themselves and what makes it better is that we the audience knew it was even bigger. This whole story is the foundation that brings hope to the rebellion to defeat the empire and the actors pull us in from the start.

K2SO: hands down the best droid in Star Wars. Yes, yes I love R2 and BB....BUT you can't understand them. Now, I agree this has an advantage because it leaves their words open to interpretation based on their movements and sounds, which is damn entertaining and cute....BUT....a sarcastic converted empire droid with no inter monologue was so damn unique. And this was the first time a droid showed growth/change in a Star Wars film (doesn't trust Jyn at the beginning, does at the end). And his sacrifice at the end hit me....did not want to lose him.

Grand Morph Tarkin: my jaw hit the floor in his first scene. Holy **** they actually brought THE character back. Yes, the CGI isn't perfect....but this was unprecedented...a milestone one could argue. Loved that they did this (however it was pivotal to this specific story and I hope this doesn't become a trend).

Emotional scene 1: the scene where Jyns dad is talking to her (the message) via hologram...laying out everything about he implemented the weakness, how much he loved her and sacrificed for her.....and watching Jyn see this and the emotion she showed....it was genuinely the first time I got a lump in my throat from a Star Wars film that wasnt triggered by nostalgia from TFA.

The beach battle: about as war-movie epic as Star Wars will ever get without an R-rating. Everyone dies on the beach....literally everyone by the time the Death Star shows. But there's fighters, ATATs, soldiers, bombs, espionage....the whole damn thing is a rush.

I'm one with the force and the force with me: can't remember his name.....but *****...who didn't love this guy? He was such a bad ass. Took out a whole platoon of storm troopers with a stick...shot down a tie fighter with a bow...has strong knowledge of the force (kinda?)....and gives his life for the rebellion when it wasn't his fight. He did it because he could tell the force wanted it........think about it...in the raining planet scene he follows Jyn after she leaves the ship because he senses how the force is moving around her and that "her path is clear."

The space battle at the end: ok....the space battle in ROTJ is great....but this is better! Original actors from ANH...red 5s call sign...following ships individually connecting us with the individuals of the rebellion...the corvette making a Star destroyer crash into another one...the hyperspace ships jumping into each other...****ing epic all of it!

Darth ****ing Vader!: holy balls! I can't believe the hallway scene was a last minute thought. I was losing it during this scene. This was really the first time we saw Vader go ape **** on the rebellion......sure he had scenes showing how evil he was before, but those really consisted of 1v1 with another Jedi or just force choking some dude.......THIS!?.....**** your blasters and I don't care how many of you there are I'm Darth ****ing Vader and I'm going to ruin your ***** He cuts a dude in half! So cool!

Emotional scene 2: right after Darth Vader makes the rebel soldiers in that hallway piss themselves, we get the best...and most perfect ending to any Star Wars movie! First, we see the rebel ship carrying the plans break away from the main rebel cruiser....and then....woah man....we see the obvious back side of Princess Leia and the best lines of, "what did they bring us?" "Hope." I was doing everything I could to not lose it right there. I was hoping they'd do something like that......but didn't know what to expect and was completely nerded out by the end.

I saw this with my dad. We went to the theater in separate vehicles. We ended up talking in the parking lot for over 30 minutes cause there was so much we loved about this film! If I had one wish that pertained to the Star Wars franchise it would be to make it that every time I saw this film it would be as if it was my first time viewing it so I could relive the excitement over and over.

Hell there's probably more I can add but it's late and I probably have made enough typing errors already.....I'm pretty much this girl in this video below except not THAT extreme:

That about sums it up for me.

PatAg
AG
I think what was so awesome about the Vader scene, is we already pictured him being able to do stuff like that in our minds. It was clear everyone was scared of him, we knew he was extremely dangerous. He would just choke people for the hell of it in military meetings.

The scene is just so briliant, the 5 seconds of the claxon alarm just going off, and then you hear him breathing in the pitch black into his lightsaber flaring up.
oragator
The best one made since Empire.
For all my complaints about 7, the thing it did really really well was bring back the original feel of Star Wars. What was great about this is that it went a very different direction stylistically and still was a complete success. There is that one moment in the middle of the final battle when it becomes clear it is essentially a suicide mission, and it brings so much more poignancy to the ending, and to the original trilogy in doing so. It makes the final battle in 4 mean more, it makes the eventual win in 6 mean more, and does it with original characters (save a couple), and without stepping on anything anywhere in the cannon.
Should have been a guide post in many ways for how to move the franchise forward. Sadly, Disney went Disney.
BMX Bandit
Quote:

it seems unlikely that this planet with its ancient Temple of the Whills would also have an enormous statue to a Jedit who had been active in the last 40 years.
tell that to Bama.

and rouge one is fantastic.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Guys. For the love of God. It's ROGUE ONE. Not Rouge.

Rogue.
Urban Ag
AG
Granted, I was disappointed in TFA, but a year later we saw Rogue One in the theatre and I could barely contain myself as to how original trilogy awesome this movie was/is. Solo as the next "SW story" was good but, IMO, suffered some box office malaise for reasons outside the actual quality of the film. Seemed like shortly after, Disney declared they were shelving the other "SW Stories" ideas.

That sucks. Rogue One is so damn good. They obviously have the capability of making more stand alone movies like this in the SW Universe.

Still holding out hope that at some point they make a stand alone "Saving Private Ryan" type film set during the Clone War. Can you imagine something like a live action version of the Point Rain episode of the Clone Wars?
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
BMX Bandit said:

Quote:

it seems unlikely that this planet with its ancient Temple of the Whills would also have an enormous statue to a Jedit who had been active in the last 40 years.
tell that to Bama.

and rouge one is fantastic.
I was working for the Batt when A&M unveiled the oversized Earl Rudder statue over by the MSC. A girl I knew was a news reporter and covered the event and had made friends with Margaret Rudder. At the official unveilling, Mrs. Rudder whispered to her "Dear, I don't want to say anything, but General Rudder was not that tall."
BMX Bandit
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Guys. For the love of God. It's ROGUE ONE. Not Rouge.

Rogue.

Rouge
Rouge
Rouge
Rouge
Rouge.
Rouge
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Rewatched it just now after the random Twitter trend a few days ago reminded me of it. The last third of Rogue One was my favorite Star Wars viewing experience ever.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Rogue One is so good.
TCTTS
AG
You guys see the sequel?

Dekker_Lentz
AG
TCTTS said:

You guys see the sequel?

So, should the sequel be Rogue Two or more artistic and be Red Five?
Red Five
AG
Dekker_Lentz said:

TCTTS said:

You guys see the sequel?

Obviously
israeliag
AG
I won't forget the feeling I had watching a DISNEY Star Wars movie and coming to the realization that, holy ****, theyre all gonna die.

Spoilers
Solo Tetherball Champ
Head Ninja In Charge said:

Rewatched it just now after the random Twitter trend a few days ago reminded me of it. The last third of Rogue One was my favorite Star Wars viewing experience ever.

The first third was interesting, the middle was a bit of a mess, but that last bit was an incredible roller coaster.
MGS
Dekker_Lentz said:

TCTTS said:

You guys see the sequel?

Red Five #2?
Dekker_Lentz
AG
MGS said:

Red Five #2?

So, looking through the movies and wookieepedia, here is my proposed names for Rogue One through Jedi.

Rogue One
Red Five (ANH)(Luke)
Echo Seven (ESB) (Han on Hoth)
Gold Leader (ROTJ) (Lando's Falcon at DS2 raid)

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.