HBO's Chernobyl Mini-series drops next week.

105,061 Views | 688 Replies | Last: 12 mo ago by gigemJTH12
Michael Cera Palin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Not Chernobyl but from atmospheric nuke testing during WWII and the Cold War. You can purchase pre-atomic lead and steel forged before WWII which isn't contaminated. The only time it would make a difference is if you're trying to build shielding for a highly sensitive radiation detector.

Only places I've ever heard of it being needed are the national labs.
schmendeler
AG
I believe one of the ways art experts detect fake masterpieces is by testing the paints on the canvas. If they have certain isotopes then they know the painting was created after nuclear testing.
trip
AG
I moved to Frankfurt Germany in June of 1986. The playground sand was covered due to fall out. My mom was freaking out over the situation.

I know, Cool story bro.
cbr
AG
All I know is I got a deal on a car trailer one time long ago From some Cajun welder. Had that trailer for years. Friend of mine borrowed it to haul off an old cop car we bought for scrap to a junkyard.

He crosses the scales and the whole ****ing place lights up with sirens, lights.... they crawl all over
It and finally figure out the trailer is hot enough to set off their hazmat alarms with radiation. Told my buddy 'you can leave the car, but get that ****in trailer outta here'

Lol. That sucked. No telling what that scrap iron cake from to make that trailer.
Bregxit
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Started this show on Sunday and have 1 episode left to go.

Man, this show is fantastic. I really knew next to nothing about Chernobyl before this, so this has been a really fascinating watch.

This will win every miniseries category at the Emmys this year, no question.

Though, I do have one complaint. Did we really need half an episode of shooting dogs? That felt a bit much. That could have been one scene.

Looking forward to watching the finale tonight.
aTmAg
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Though, I do have one complaint. Did we really need half an episode of shooting dogs? That felt a bit much. That could have been one scene.
Could of been worse. They edited the really bad stuff out.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Point being, we didn't need to spend 20+ minutes with those guys.

Would've rather seen all the different types of "cleanup" being done besides just the dog killing.
aTmAg
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Point being, we didn't need to spend 20+ minutes with those guys.

Would've rather seen all the different types of "cleanup" being done besides just the dog killing.
I don't know. He pointed out what the other guys did (like cutting down trees, and whatnot) and those things seem like damn boring TV. They did show tractors turning over crops and dudes walking the fields to pick up radiated bicycles and whatnot. So it's not like didn't inform the viewer that those things were going on.

I didn't like watching it either, but I think that is sort of the point. Chernobyl sucked. There were victims all around. Including animals and the guys sent to shoot them.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I mean, the second he walked into the house, you knew he was going to see a litter of puppies. I guess it just felt heavy-handed to me.
Aggies76
AG
For me was the hardest scene to watch of the whole series. Glad it wasn't more graphic than it was.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I mean, the second he walked into the house, you knew he was going to see a litter of puppies. I guess it just felt heavy-handed to me.
It was based on an actual account from Chernobyl if I recall correctly from the podcast. So I wouldn't call it heavy-handed.
aTmAg
AG
And they didn't show what happened when he ran out of bullets.
veryfuller
Staff
AG
I was talking to my wife about the dog stuff. I think its interesting that some of that was more disturbing than the human effects, and that may be the point that the show is trying to make here. Like...why do I care so much about them shooting this dog and it not suffering when they are literally sending people onto a roof with radiation exposure that is going to cut their lifespan in half?
bobinator
AG
Yeah, I'm with you also. I thought that took up a disproportionate amount of screen time.
jenn96
AG
That's exactly why they showed it. They knew that more viewers would be affected by the dog deaths than the human deaths and suffering. Not because we're all psychopaths but because it just hits a different part of our emotions.
Aggies76
AG
I know.... something about the innocence and trusting nature of our animals makes it hurt us more.

Also the series may have been showing how we become desensitized to killing. The first day was the worst for the dog hunters until they "got used to it". But that deal with the puppies was another thing altogether.
gomerschlep
AG
I also noticed the amount of time spent on the dogs, I took it as a way to express how much long tedious work would have to be taken to clean up the disaster without shooting scenes about all the different facets of the work and the decades it took. I guess I could see that more people would care about the dogs, but I don't.
ham98
I'm kind of surprised by how much dog ownership there was in the soviet union
I bleed maroon
AG
ham98 said:

I'm kind of surprised by how much dog ownership there was in the soviet union

Backup food supply?
Batzarro
AG
We need a follow up mini-series by the same creators: ***ushima
schmendeler
AG
I'd like to see one on deepwater horizon or that train in Canada that went off the rails and basically burned a whole town to the ground.
Michael Cera Palin
AG
Batzarro said:

It really wouldn't make for good tv. Other than some intense scenes during the tsunami there wasn't really much that happened that would be considered very entertaining. The staff did everything they were supposed to, but Mother Nature was too strong that day.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Absolutely fantastic finale. I loved that they explained the entire series of events in detail.

Legasov is a hero as far as I'm concerned.

And seeing all the images with the real historical facts was absolutely chilling. Especially the part about everyone on the bridge dying.

You knew from the shot of the baby being held up in the glowing night sky what that meant. F-ing brutal.

Great, great show and I hope to see it win Best Miniseries.
Joseph Parrish
AG
PWestAg18 said:

Batzarro said:

It really wouldn't make for good tv. Other than some intense scenes during the tsunami there wasn't really much that happened that would be considered very entertaining. The staff did everything they were supposed to, but Mother Nature was too strong that day.
Yeah, it'd probably have to focus more on the tsunami than ***ushima. You won't have the same emotional connection with ***ushima because the the event wasn't devastating.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
This was just absolutely beautiful / chilling.

Joe Exotic
AG
Joseph Parrish said:

PWestAg18 said:

Batzarro said:

Yeah, it'd probably have to focus more on the tsunami than ***ushima. You won't have the same emotional connection with ***ushima because the the event wasn't devastating.

Not to mention the Soviet aspects of lying and a culture of misinformation was just as fascinating as the the reactor issues. That face the would be missing from F-Shima
Batzarro
AG
Bo Darville said:

Joseph Parrish said:

PWestAg18 said:

Batzarro said:

Not to mention the Soviet aspects of lying and a culture of misinformation was just as fascinating as the the reactor issues. That face the would be missing from F-Shima
Agreed, it is a different story to tell, less severe, less fatal and sequels usually aim to be more "intense." Though I did hear about heroic volunteering by TEPCO technicians volunteering to work past the lifetime radiation limits to help make safe the facility.
Chipotlemonger
AG
I don't necessarily think that only nuclear events warrant a look at for a mini-series like Chernobyl. I do think that there are many other historical events that would be great to be presented in this format.

A while back, I watched the Gunpowder mini-series. It was a little over-the-top at times, and it could have told the story better of the Gunpowder Plot. However, it was a quick little series and period piece on an interesting historical event.

There should be more shows like these.
Gig-Em2003
AG
Chernobyl creator said on Ringer podcast he's already working on another series for HBO. He described it as a "true story, closer to home".
Joe Exotic
AG
Gig-Em2003 said:

Chernobyl creator said on Ringer podcast he's already working on another series for HBO. He described it as a "true story, closer to home".

Our plight to leave the Big 12 and the oppression by the sips?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Great watch.

Mike Elko
AG
AustinAg2012 said:

DannyDuberstein said:

That is Paul Ritter. Dyatlov.
Yeah, F that guy! (Dyatlov, not Ritter.)
Standing by this statement 100%. What a scumbag.

Great series. Deserves all the accolades coming its way.
mslags97
AG
This was incredible! Just finished, and I have not had a chance to read the comments here yet. Loved this.
rynning
AG
Just started this with a week free trial of HBO Now.

The first episode can be skipped because it's everything you'd expect: explosion, confusion, injury and death. The series really picks up in episode 2.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.