Anyone watching Jeopardy?

54,977 Views | 496 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Old School Brother
Rudyjax
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thanks. I didn't watch all of Kens reign, as it got boring after a while.

Am I smarter or are final jeopardy questions easier?
Rudyjax
AG
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/alex-trebek-reveals-tumors-shrunk-114016430.html

James?
Rudyjax
AG
Confucius
oragator

Some supposedly leaked footage shows him losing tonight
07ag
AG
what was the consensus on when we can discuss a particular day's episode? today's has already aired in houston, fwiw
https://ts.la/eric59704
Rudyjax
AG
07ag said:

what was the consensus on when we can discuss a particular day's episode? today's has already aired in houston, fwiw
Most people thought you should wait until the next day. Others felt as soon as it was aired was fair game.

The latter wins because you can't control what others post.
aggietony2010
AG
I Am Mine said:

07ag said:

Most people thought you should wait until the next day. Others felt as soon as it was aired was fair game.

hell the fact that there's activity on this thread is a spoiler he lost today. I didn't even have to open the Reddit thread to know. I saw "723 comments" and knew the king (well, I guess Ken reigns still) was dead
07ag
AG
aggietony2010 said:

I Am Mine said:

07ag said:

hell the fact that there's activity on this thread is a spoiler he lost today. I didn't even have to open the Reddit thread to know. I saw "723 comments" and knew the king (well, I guess Ken reigns still) was dead
with a normal holzhauer day he would have passed ken jennings total $ winnings in regular play today, which would have been noteworthy of being discussed, imo
https://ts.la/eric59704
aggietony2010
AG
07ag said:

aggietony2010 said:

I Am Mine said:

07ag said:

with a normal holzhauer day he would have passed ken jennings total $ winnings in regular play today, which would have been noteworthy of being discussed, imo

perhaps, but not nearly to the scale his loss drove discussion on Reddit. I think most of us assumed he'd get there
Rudyjax
AG
There has only been about 4-5 new posts.
Another Doug
AG
if you are reading this you already know what happened
Liquid Wrench
Not a spoiler: It's crazy how much James has driven traffic on r/Jeopardy. That was a fairly small and quiet sub a lot of days.
PhatMack19
AG
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
aggietony2010 said:

I Am Mine said:

07ag said:

nah.... we had two dozen or more posts the day a semi hot chick was on there and her odd behaviors.

but the give away was that there were 10+ threads with spoiler bars.... like this one

Rudyjax
AG
Rick Gosselin on twitter got me.

****ing goose.

Post removed:
by user
double aught
AG
We'll see you on the Champs Tourney, James. What a run.
EMY92
AG
That shows how great Ken Jennings was, he won another 40 games without faltering.

James is the most dominant in racking up the dollars per game.
Bunk Moreland

Old Tom Morris
He said it was lost on the clue just before the first DD in Double Jeopardy. It took a second for the answer to come to him, she buzzed in and got it instead, and the square she went to next which had the DD was the same one he was planning to choose.
Post removed:
by user
Old Tom Morris
And Jennings streak is looking like Dimaggio's 56 or Ryan's 5000. To be as dominant as James, yet he still batted past multiple close calls and then finally one that was too close. So many students of the game now vs the robots that would stick with a category amd bet conservatively. Jennings changed the game re: DD hunting, and we'll find James changed it for DD betting.
Counterpoint
AG
Was Alex crying at the end?
Old Tom Morris
He knew she had to miss for him to win, so his hope was a really hard question that he may miss too, yet leave himself enough to beat the 3rd place guy in case 3rd place was the only one that knew it. It was a savvy wager. He knew she'd bet at least $20,000, but he left himself enough to beat 3rd olace guy $22,001 to $22,000 in case 3rd somehow lucked into being the only one that knew it
Rudyjax
AG
third coast.. said:

What I don't get is his final jeopardy wager. Wtf was that?

It was his only chance if they both missed.
Old Tom Morris
To boil it down, the right move is to play "runaway game" strategy vs 3rd wben you know 1st will bet enough to drop below whatever that safe "runaway vs 3rd" wager would leave you with.
Old Tom Morris
What's surprising to me is that it was a Monday contestant that brought him down. She never saw him play, although it doeant take a rocket scientist to realize that when you're up against a 30+ day champ averaging $80k per game, you better go big when the door opens.
Rudyjax
AG
I assumed she had seen him. When was that filmed?
Bunk Moreland
Old Tom Morris said:

What's surprising to me is that it was a Monday contestant that brought him down. She never saw him play, although it doeant take a rocket scientist to realize that when you're up against a 30+ day champ averaging $80k per game, you better go big when the door opens.

Read an interview of her in the Chicago tribune. She is a librarian at some university, super smart and did some major thesis in school on jeopardy trivia.

Her strategy was also to go big and DD hunt.
Post removed:
by user
Charpie
AG
third coast.. said:

i hate her and hope she loses tomorrow.
hph6203
AG
third coast.. said:

What I don't get is his final jeopardy wager. Wtf was that?

Jay: 11,000
James: 23,400
Emma: 26,600

A rational bet by Emma is at least $20,201 (which she does bet), because the maximum James can get is $46,800 and a bet of $20,201 would beat James' maximum by $1 ($46,801). So that takes him buying his way to a win with a big bet out of the equation against Emma, she has to miss the question for him to beat her.

Now James has to hope Emma misses the question and that he maintains the win against Jay whether James is right or wrong. Jay can wager all of his 11,000 to get to 22,000, so the most James can bet, get the question wrong and still win if Jay gets the question right and Emma gets it wrong is $1,399, because it would leave him with 22,001 or $1 more than Jay.

He's trying to maximize his winnings by maximizing his odds of playing another day, rather than maximizing his winnings every day.

Basically he can't beat Emma unless she gets the question wrong, so he just worries about guaranteeing a win against Jay.
Aggie09Derek
AG
^ what he said
Post removed:
by user

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.