Anyone watching Jeopardy?

54,972 Views | 496 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Old School Brother
62strat
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I thought the guy looked familiar. I saw him on the chase show.

How bad did that chick contestant feel when she buzzed in and a got a wrong answer after homeboy blazed through 5 correct ones hah.
txaggiefarmer05
AG
Took the online test on the first night and got 37 for sure, maybe one or two more partial answers I might get credit for. Apparently that's right around the cutoff. Hoping for a call back audition
double aught
AG
106K today. At this rate he'll pass Ken Jeopardy in a couple months.
JetAg
AG
double aught said:

106K today. At this rate he'll pass Ken Jeopardy in a couple months.
Just another day at the office. So damn impressive. Hope he keeps it going.
AggieEP
I'm in the same boat as some of you, looks like he intentionally cools it on the easy questions to let the other players get some play time. That said, today he almost had a perfect 1st round.

I also think he knows how easy the daily double questions have been so there isn't much risk in his bets. And if he hits it with a big bet, it pretty much locks up the victory for him. If he misses one, it just means he'll have to buckle down a bit more on the easier clues.

I always think of how pissed I'd be If I got my one shot to be on jeopardy and a dude like him is the returning champion. He demoralizes his opponents and toys with the game with his oddball bets. And with him it's not just the knowledge but the quick response time, I get a fair share of questions right while watching but they don't always pop immediately into my head.
The Milkman
AG
A few times during his run his competitors have fallen into a trap of playing his style. He will run through the bottom clues, someone else will get one, and they'll stay down there. They can't be playing his game
Rudyjax
AG
The Milkman said:

A few times during his run his competitions have fallen into a trap of playing his style. He will run through the bottom clues, someone else will get one, and they'll stay down there. They can't be playing his game

The guy who played against him yesterday planned on playing the exact same style from the beginning.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Jeopardy/comments/bdh2v2/jeopardy_recap_for_mon_apr_15/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app

Or at least that's what he says.
The Milkman
AG
I think anyone going up against him needs to hunt the DD as quickly as possible and take the option off the table for him to double up. That is if you think you can beat him without that help.

Rudyjax
AG
Good luck controlling the board unless he misses a question .
FarmerJohn
AG
His strategy is annoying for the home viewer, but it is the correct one. As a contestant, you have to do the same, hope you get the daily doubles and not him, and above all be fast with the buzzer. The only modification I would think is to tone down the bets if they last until late in the second round, where you wouldn't have some time to rebuild.
Rudyjax
AG
FarmerJohn said:

His strategy is annoying for the home viewer, but it is the correct one. As a contestant, you have to do the same, hope you get the daily doubles and not him, and above all be fast with the buzzer. The only modification I would think is to tone down the bets if they last until late in the second round, where you wouldn't have some time to rebuild.
If you notice his play, he goes 1000, 800 and then when he gets a big bank, he goes DD hunting.

DJ, he goes straight to DD hunting. he wants to hit the DD early enough so if he misses, he can build again.

Southlake
He's the best player I've ever seen. His strategies are twofold: obviously win, but also bet DDs well enough to maximize money. KJ played to win, but as I remember, his DD bets were focused on winning the game, not building a high score and bank. I wonder if KJ had bet more on his DDs how much more money he could have made?

I like JH's demeanor too. He's aggressive without being arrogant and is a Family guy. He good enough to not only ace the game, but be relaxed enough to send messages to his family by including their birthdays and anniversaries in his wager amounts - looks like he's running out of birthdays!

Seems Alex really likes him too. And I think it's wonderful that with Alexes' tragic cancer diagnosis, Alex is getting a chance of working with one of the best all time players, giving him an extra boost and something to really relish as his career winds down.
Rudyjax
AG
I read these were filmed prior to the diagnoses.

Anyone know if that is correct?
watty
AG
Is there something new to Jeopardy that I don't know? Y'all are talking about betting strategies and stuff. Is there anything besides daily doubles and Final Jeopardy?
Aggies76
AG
watty said:

Is there something new to Jeopardy that I don't know? Y'all are talking about betting strategies and stuff. Is there anything besides daily doubles and Final Jeopardy?
Nope those are still the only 2 places to wager.
Liquid Wrench
watty said:

This guy is wagering on all three daily doubles plus final almost every episode.
watty
AG
I guess it's just been a while since I watched but didn't everyone do that? Or are people giant wusses when it comes to wagering their money?
Liquid Wrench
It's not that common for one player to get all 3 daily doubles in the same game. He's pretty good at finding them. And he wagers much bigger amounts than most players.

You just have to watch him to see what we're talking about. The guy is an android.
Rudyjax
AG
He always does a true daily double in single jeopardy and large amounts in double.

Most would do like 1-2k in single and 4-5 at most in double.

He's a gambler as a profession so he goes big.
The Milkman
AG
watty said:

No but the top jeopardy players have begun to actively use more game theory strategy than I remember ever seeing when I was younger
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
I love that he isnt wasting his time with the lower dollar questions. hes going for value, so while yes, the questions are more difficult, the difficulty far outweighed by the higher dollar amount and increased likelihood of DD. He basically brought NBA-level analytics to Jeopardy, lol
Liquid Wrench
If anyone wants a spoiler or recap for today's episode:

https://thejeopardyfan.com/2019/04/final-jeopardy-4-17-2019.html
watty
AG
Cool stuff, thanks y'all.
Counterpoint
AG
I hate that this is even a legit question to ask, but who do you think will be off of Jeopardy first, James or Alex?
DannyDuberstein
AG
LOL at the smirks by his competitors today
Post removed:
by user
Rudyjax
AG
I answered the final jeopardy question before they reviewed the clue.
Rudyjax
AG
This is amazing from the link above.

https://thejeopardyfan.com/2019/04/james-holzhauer-ken-jennings-comparison.html
JetAg
AG
Rudyjax said:

This is amazing from the link above.

https://thejeopardyfan.com/2019/04/james-holzhauer-ken-jennings-comparison.html

Thanks for sharing that. Really informative. While I watched a lot of the KJ shows I enjoy the way James plays much more.

Hope he keeps it going!
Rudyjax
AG
Don't know who KK is.
JetAg
AG
Rudyjax said:

Don't know who KK is.
KK = Kliff Kingsbury (former tech coach)

KJ = Ken Jennings (former Jeopardy champion - the longest winner in J history)
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
JetAg said:

Rudyjax said:

Don't know who KK is.

I wonder if he will beat out Brad, the guy that has won the most money in Jeopardy history.
Post removed:
by user
Rudyjax
AG
Champ Bailey said:

JetAg said:

Rudyjax said:

Don't know who KK is.

I wonder if he will beat out Brad, the guy that has won the most money in Jeopardy history.

Brad has beaten Ken head to head a couple of times, hasn't he? His team beat Kens team, but that wasn't all on Ken.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.