Anyone watching Jeopardy?

54,991 Views | 496 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Old School Brother
AgPediRPh
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Current champion James is a professional gambler. He is betting HUGE and killing it! $110K today and $250K for 4 day total.
Silky Johnston
How does Trebek look?
JetAg
AG
That dude is fun to watch! I can't believe how smart he is and that he's not afraid to bet big when he hits a daily double. He's making some bank.
double aught
AG
Hope he sticks around a while. Looks to be the real deal.
lunchbox
Silky Johnston said:

How does Trebek look?
I think they are still airing episodes taped before he went public with the cancer news.
tx1c
AG
I happened to see it on Monday. That guy is impressive. I wish I could have watched the $110k day.

I did the online test last night. I did really bad.
Big Cat `93
AG
Do they still offer the online test at only certain times during the year, or can you take it whenever now?
Southlake
We DVR it every day. This guy is great. I thought the Atlanta sports guy was good, but he's better.

Love his betting angles. Fearless yet carries an air of humility. Knows and understands the importance of the DDs.

Funky smile.

PS. Hey Big Cat!
Liquid Wrench
Missed his earlier episodes but saw yesterday. Have the dvr set now. Dude's a machine.
tx1c
AG
Big Cat `93 said:

Do they still offer the online test at only certain times during the year, or can you take it whenever now?
It's just three days at at time: last night, tonight, and tomorrow night. But you have to register. I get the emails, the announcement to register was about a month ago. The test seems to come around about every year or year and a half. I'm guessing; I really don't remember how often.
I've tried three times and done poorly three times. The online test questions are much harder for me to get than the ones they use on the show.
Big Cat `93
AG
Thanks. One of these days I'll give it a shot.

Howdy, SL.
jm94
AG

In the wrap up, he said that's the day his daughter was born. (11/09/2014)
PatAg
AG
The online questions are actually designed to be harder, so you aren't crazy for feeling that way.
Southlake
I did the on line test and got 21/25 correct. I then had to submit my test to an application site.

I didn't think the test was too hard, but just like in Jep, one of the keys is topics you are familiar with.

I had an uncle who was on Jep. 20 years ago and he said when you show up, you actually get coached for an hour on how the signaler works and how Alex runs the game as well as inappropriate behaviors. It's actually more controlled than you'd think because the viewers can't see many of the breaks in play. Players also get coached in Final Jeopardy on the math behind their bets - which amazes me because so many times you see FA numbers dorked up.

They also have a wardrobe for the contestants to pick from if they wish.

But, playing the game in your living room (when you don't really have to say, "what is" before the answer and operate the signaler is to totally different from being on TV in front of millions.

All that being said, I'm really pretty good on my sofa, but am sure I'd suck in the real game.
Big Cat `93
AG
That's exactly what I'm afraid of happening if I give it a go. And becoming a meme.
Fairview
AG
Can't have a Jeopardy thread without the Kirsten Cutts video....

JetAg
AG
Fairview said:

Can't have a Jeopardy thread without the Kirsten Cutts video....

I was definitely watching intently when she was on the show. Those 5 or so shows were my favorite since watching Jeopardy. I was pretty devastated when she lost.
Counterpoint
AG
Big Cat `93 said:

Thanks. One of these days I'll give it a shot.

Howdy, SL.
You can still register and take this year's test! (It even says it on the site). You just can't register while the test is actually happening.
double aught
AG
Yesterday was a relative breeze for him again. The girl seemed like a decent player and might've given him a run for it had she gotten that daily double right.

And final Jeopardy was one of the easiest ones in a while.
Redstone
AG
I saw the Ken Jennings run, which was superior to all games/contestants listed in this thread.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Counterpoint
AG
Redstone said:

I saw the Ken Jennings run, which was superior to all games/contestants listed in this thread.
For now...
Rudyjax
AG
He missed the final jeopardy yesterday but had a big enough lead and didn't wager enough to lose if he missed.

The Milkman
AG
Redstone said:

Ken aint got s*** on Kirsten.
double aught
AG
89K today.
Counterpoint
AG
So now he has the top two wins of all time? Not a bad week! I want him to break ALL the records, but I feel like he won't last long enough because of his strategy. EVENTUALLY he has to miss one of those huge daily doubles, right? So far he's gotten really lucky because I think the only daily double he ever missed was when he only had like $2000 in the bank to risk (and of course he went all in).

Rudyjax
AG
Counterpoint said:

So now he has the top two wins of all time? Not a bad week! I want him to break ALL the records, but I feel like he won't last long enough because of his strategy. EVENTUALLY he has to miss one of those huge daily doubles, right? So far he's gotten really lucky because I think the only daily double he ever missed was when he only had like $2000 in the bank to risk (and of course he went all in).

That's what I thought as well. I'm sure he's ok with that too.
AgPediRPh
AG
I think James gets bored, so that's why he bets big. It also seems like once he gets a big lead, James lets the other players answer easy questions for a while before getting back on track.

And yeah I think one of those 10K+ bets will eventually do him in.
Rudyjax
AG
He lets them get the low dollar questions.

Rudyjax
AG
Mookie Blaylock sent me this link earlier today.

Liquid Wrench
If the Double Jeopardy and Final Jeopardy questions stay easy like they've been lately, then we could see a lot of records broken.
Southlake
I agree. The DDs and FJ used to be more challenging and the best players are taking advantage.

I noticed Holtz only bet 5k during DJ in his last game after betting all at the start. He's an intuitive bettor
Liquid Wrench

Quote:

He's an intuitive bettor
Yeah. Using birthdays and anniversaries for his wagers shows he's not sitting their figuring out the one-dollar-more-than bets you usually see.

The show's had some ebbs and flows in standard difficulty over the years. I guess they got enough of a boost from the repeat winners and record setters that they realized it could help the show's ratings if they move away from asking 60-year old librarians about lesser-known 19th Century French poets. I really notice it on my weaker subjects. Like you would not need to know anything at all about physics to have answered the quantum leap question this week.
AgPediRPh
AG
Yeah I don't know a lot about Russian history, but the Romanov FJ question was a gimme. I doubt Rasputin would be canonized.
JetAg
AG
Rudyjax said:

Mookie Blaylock sent me this link earlier today.

They need to hire James to be the "Beast" on that show.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.