HBO's Deadwood feature film - 2019

8,053 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PooDoo
Aggies76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Loved it. Didn't want it to end.
Bunk Moreland
Finally got to watch last night. Really enjoyed it. Knew it wouldn't be perfect old school Deadwood and that's fine.

Thought Olyphant and Gerald McRaney(Hearst) were both excellent.
aTmAg
AG
I haven't watched it yet, though I have it recorded. I binge watched the original several years ago and haven't seen it again since. Will I be confused as hell? Should I try to rewatch the original again? Or is reading wikipedia about the last few episodes good enough?
MW03
AG
Nah, they do a good job with flashbacks and exposition to catch you up. I don't think it would land if you hadn't seen the series at all, though.
expresswrittenconsent
aTmAg said:

I haven't watched it yet, though I have it recorded. I binge watched the original several years ago and haven't seen it again since. Will I be confused as hell? Should I try to rewatch the original again? Or is reading wikipedia about the last few episodes good enough?

I haven't seen the original since it aired. There were some plot points I had forgotten but the way they tell the story you are reminded. So no, you dont need to rewatch or reread a season3 (or series) plot summary to enjoy this, but if you're a super fan, revisiting or refreshing what happened previously might make it slightly more enjoyable.
The biggest thing for me was that the first 20 minutes felt a little choppy as we were reintroduced to all the characters, and it took me probably 15 or 20 minutes getting used to that style of dialogue again.
aTmAg
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

aTmAg said:

I haven't seen the original since it aired. There were some plot points I had forgotten but the way they tell the story you are reminded. So no, you dont need to rewatch or reread a season3 (or series) plot summary to enjoy this, but if you're a super fan, revisiting or refreshing what happened previously might make it slightly more enjoyable.
The biggest thing for me was that the first 20 minutes felt a little choppy as we were reintroduced to all the characters, and it took me probably 15 or 20 minutes getting used to that style of dialogue again.
To get used to all the F's being thrown around?
expresswrittenconsent
Haha, meant to include that I was ready for all the c-suckers, but it was the - I guess formality but maybe just phrases written by milch. It was authentic/true to the show, I had just forgotten it from 13 yrs ago. But once Seth Bullock first becomes annoyed i was fully back into that world.
mazzag
AG
Gerald McRaney is one of my all time favorites. I despise that i despise him in this role. But he's been perfect at it.

ETA-he's an ole miss alum and almost 72.
Ag 11
AG
I watched it a couple weekends ago and got drunk and forgot how it ends. Guess that means I get to watch it again.
beanbean
I thought it was pretty meh. The part at the end where it started snowing seemed kind of hallmark movie-ish.
aggierogue
AG
Enjoyed it.
Shelton98
AG
brucoh said:

I thought it was pretty meh. The part at the end where it started snowing seemed kind of hallmark movie-ish.

Me too.
Aggies76
AG
Shelton98 said:

brucoh said:

Me too.
Yeah but I thought the final scene with Al, Jewel and Trixie made up for it.
Woody2006
AG
Rarely have I been as satisfied with an ending to a series.

Do I like the way they went about it in the first place? Of course not. But I can't imagine how they could have done this any better. I feel like a whole season all these years later would have ended up being disappointing.
PooDoo
AG
It was a perfect Deadwood ending because it left you wanting to see more.

Glad to see the Doc was still alive... I was hoping Little N General was still caring for Drunk Dan but his absence was understandable. F'n Hearst and that loopy c Trixie!
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.