HBO's Deadwood feature film - 2019

8,056 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PooDoo
aggierogue
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Loved the series. Was cut short due to cost. The movie is bringing everyone back to finish the story.
Aggies76
AG
May 31 can't get here fast enough.
aggierogue
AG
Aggies76 said:

I'm surprised more people aren't into this one. Deadwood is up there with the all-time greatest series.
FbgTxAg
AG
In!
The greatest argument ever made against democracy is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter.
Bunk Moreland
https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/tv-features/deadwood-rides-again-movie-set-visit-milch-825534/

Fantastic article by Sepinwall who spent a few days on set last fall
Duncan Idaho
aggierogue said:

Aggies76 said:

I'm surprised more people aren't into this one. Deadwood is up there with the all-time greatest series.

Made me feel dumber than usual with all that fancy talking and iambic pentameter

And I am not going to be happy with a movie, I want another season
Bunk Moreland
This might be the best interview I've ever read/seen/heard from an actor.

Olyphant is so honest and candid. I encourage everyone to read it.

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/tv-features/timothy-olyphant-deadwood-interview-835207

Here's a great exchange

Quote:

I've heard many conflicting accounts of the cancellation over the years, including one that pinned it to a panic that ensued after you bought a new house. Care to clarify?

I'll tell you my version, and I already said this earlier: I fully understand that my memory of how it happened may not be how it happened, even for me. This is a story I've told over the years and every time you tell it, it changes. And let me also preface this with, I've never been one to let truth get in the way of a good story. So, if you are holding onto facts and you're going to call me on these facts, go **** yourself.

Sure.

OK. Fair enough. Here is what I remember. First of all, Ian and I in Season Three were renegotiating our deal. We were getting ready to start the season and our deals had not been completed. At the time, the late, great James Gandolfini, God rest his soul, had been in the papers quite a bit for refusing to go back to work. Well, Mr. McShane and I didn't want to be those guys, so we're like, "We'll go back to work in good faith, and we'll work this out as we go." As I recall, we must have shot seven, eight episodes at least, before I remember getting the call that we had come to a new understanding. And the two of us got a lovely raise and back pay for all the episodes we had already shot. I say that only because when I did go buy a house, I felt confident that my conservative estimate was, "Only count on one more season, because anything more than that, even though they've just given us this big raise, you never know." See how funny it sounds now? So, yeah, I went and bought a house. I think a lot of cast members bought houses that year. Why would they give us a raise if they were going to turn around [and cancel it]? I wonder if the HBO people have an understanding that they gave Ian and I a big raise when obviously the show was going to blow up. They would never even have had those negotiations. It's hysterical to think how backward-ass that situation was. So anyway, I bought a house, and yes, I don't think I had been in the house but a few days when Mr. Milch called me in the morning and said, "Bad news, the show is over." And I said, "Really?" He said, "Yeah." And I told him he should come over and see the house before I sell it.

Now, as I understand it from others, no one else had been informed of that. So my then calling my rep to say, "Hey, the show has been canceled," led to a series of phone calls. It was a bit of a grass fire, if you will, that became difficult for the two sides to then walk back. In fact, the show was not over at all, but that by the time that spread around, no one wanted to back down from it. And so, it just became fact.

Did you wind up selling the house?

No. I'm a glass-half-full type of mother****er, and I said to myself, "Well, thank God I didn't know they were going to cancel the show. I would never have bought this house." And let me put this under the list of why these people owe me. What we have to thank for this is the villain in [Live Free or] Die Hard and a ****ing bald head in Bulgaria shooting Hitman. That's what that phone call led to. "How about the villain of Die Hard?" I said, "Sure." And they're like, "Do you want to read the script?" I said, " I get it. I'm in. I just bought a house. Did you not hear? They just canceled my ****ing show. Yes, I'll do it." "What about this video game adaptation?" "Yes to that too. I'm in. I've got to make up some TV money." You know what, though? Those experiences were equally valuable. Oddly enough, those kinds of experiences, perhaps arguably more valuable than these. You know? Find yourself bald in Bulgaria doing some pile of ****, that will get you up a little earlier in the morning and make you work a little harder.
Prosperdick
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

This might be the best interview I've ever read/seen/heard from an actor.

Olyphant is so honest and candid. I encourage everyone to read it.

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/tv-features/timothy-olyphant-deadwood-interview-835207

Here's a great exchange

Quote:

I've heard many conflicting accounts of the cancellation over the years, including one that pinned it to a panic that ensued after you bought a new house. Care to clarify?

I'll tell you my version, and I already said this earlier: I fully understand that my memory of how it happened may not be how it happened, even for me. This is a story I've told over the years and every time you tell it, it changes. And let me also preface this with, I've never been one to let truth get in the way of a good story. So, if you are holding onto facts and you're going to call me on these facts, go **** yourself.

Sure.

OK. Fair enough. Here is what I remember. First of all, Ian and I in Season Three were renegotiating our deal. We were getting ready to start the season and our deals had not been completed. At the time, the late, great James Gandolfini, God rest his soul, had been in the papers quite a bit for refusing to go back to work. Well, Mr. McShane and I didn't want to be those guys, so we're like, "We'll go back to work in good faith, and we'll work this out as we go." As I recall, we must have shot seven, eight episodes at least, before I remember getting the call that we had come to a new understanding. And the two of us got a lovely raise and back pay for all the episodes we had already shot. I say that only because when I did go buy a house, I felt confident that my conservative estimate was, "Only count on one more season, because anything more than that, even though they've just given us this big raise, you never know." See how funny it sounds now? So, yeah, I went and bought a house. I think a lot of cast members bought houses that year. Why would they give us a raise if they were going to turn around [and cancel it]? I wonder if the HBO people have an understanding that they gave Ian and I a big raise when obviously the show was going to blow up. They would never even have had those negotiations. It's hysterical to think how backward-ass that situation was. So anyway, I bought a house, and yes, I don't think I had been in the house but a few days when Mr. Milch called me in the morning and said, "Bad news, the show is over." And I said, "Really?" He said, "Yeah." And I told him he should come over and see the house before I sell it.

Now, as I understand it from others, no one else had been informed of that. So my then calling my rep to say, "Hey, the show has been canceled," led to a series of phone calls. It was a bit of a grass fire, if you will, that became difficult for the two sides to then walk back. In fact, the show was not over at all, but that by the time that spread around, no one wanted to back down from it. And so, it just became fact.

Did you wind up selling the house?

No. I'm a glass-half-full type of mother****er, and I said to myself, "Well, thank God I didn't know they were going to cancel the show. I would never have bought this house." And let me put this under the list of why these people owe me. What we have to thank for this is the villain in [Live Free or] Die Hard and a ****ing bald head in Bulgaria shooting Hitman. That's what that phone call led to. "How about the villain of Die Hard?" I said, "Sure." And they're like, "Do you want to read the script?" I said, " I get it. I'm in. I just bought a house. Did you not hear? They just canceled my ****ing show. Yes, I'll do it." "What about this video game adaptation?" "Yes to that too. I'm in. I've got to make up some TV money." You know what, though? Those experiences were equally valuable. Oddly enough, those kinds of experiences, perhaps arguably more valuable than these. You know? Find yourself bald in Bulgaria doing some pile of ****, that will get you up a little earlier in the morning and make you work a little harder.

If you loved this you'll love this episode of Dinner for Five back in 2004 right after Deadwood first came out.

Although Jon Favreau as the host can come off as a pretentious d-bag (especially chomping his cigar) the show was a great inside look at Hollywood and this one was one of my favorites. The five were Timothy Olyphant, David Milch, Jay Mohr, and Michael Rappaport (and of course Favreau as the host).

Milch is especially funny and candid. Excuse the picture quality and close-ups, not sure why they couldn't get the original format but definitely worth 30-40 minutes of your time:

Aggies76
AG
I will read, watch or listen to anything involving Timothy Olyphant. He is just so entertaining.
cupcakesprinkles
AG
Never watched the last episode so it is still one of the best series of all time!
expresswrittenconsent
Aggies76 said:

I will read, watch or listen to anything involving Timothy Olyphant. He is just so entertaining.

Agree. Loved Go back in the day.
Hell, I saw that shaved head Bulgarian movie and only enjoyed it because it olyphant.
Aggies76
AG
I'm re-watching the first season of Deadwood in anticipation of the movie. It's even better than I remembered. And that story arc with the Reverend Smith is without a doubt the saddest thing I've ever seen on TV.
ja86
AG
Aggies76 said:

I'm re-watching the first season of Deadwood in anticipation of the movie. It's even better than I remembered. And that story arc with the Reverend Smith is without a doubt the saddest thing I've ever seen on TV.
i have started a rewatch myself. ****sucker is becoming a part of my vocabulary just from osmosis lol
blinnboy83
I've been watching this show for the first time over the last couple months and am down to the last episode before the movie. Really glad it's moving forward after the negative comments I've read concerning the ending. It's been a real pleasure, easily one of the most enjoyable shows I've watched.
Aggies76
AG
Here's a great summary of the characters and catch-up:

https://tv.avclub.com/deadwood-lives-again-a-catch-up-guide-to-its-cast-and-1835079721

PatAg
AG
blinnboy83 said:

I've been watching this show for the first time over the last couple months and am down to the last episode before the movie. Really glad it's moving forward after the negative comments I've read concerning the ending. It's been a real pleasure, easily one of the most enjoyable shows I've watched.

Negative comments?
Trident 88
AG
PatAg said:

blinnboy83 said:

Negative comments?
About the lack of a proper ending, I'm sure.

Swedgin! C**ksucker!
CheeseSndwch
Tonight's the night you ****ing hooplehead **********s.
JABQ04
AG
Glad I saw this thread. Too bad I'm working tonight but I'll be watching this at 5 am. Man I wish they kept this series going.
chris1515
AG
A little background:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/30/travel/deadwood-south-dakota-hbo.html?action=click&module=Features&pgtype=Homepage

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/15/arts/television/deadwood-the-movie-hbo.html?module=inline
BQ78
AG
Tied up the plot better but overall predictable and not as well written as the series.
jock1020
AG
I absolutely loved it. 13 years waiting for closure and I feel like they stuck the landing. Yes, it was beat for beat what you expected. But they executed it so well. If we aren't going to get a full season, you can't ask for much more than what we got tonight.
Bunk Moreland
BQ78 said:

Tied up the plot better but overall predictable and not as well written as the series.

Because they wouldn't let Milch rewrite on the fly like he did during the show run
aggiepaintrain
AG
Fcking Perfection
elfurioso92
AG
Thought it was great. Glad they got the chance to wrap it up.
Wes97
AG
It wasn't the greatest thing ever broadcast but they did a damn good job of hitting most of the beats of the original show.

Now after the end of GOT and this Deadwood movie I can say I have officially reached the point of wondering why I should keep paying for HBO.
Bregxit
AG
Wes97 said:

It wasn't the greatest thing ever broadcast but they did a damn good job of hitting most of the beats of the original show.

Now after the end of GOT and this Deadwood movie I can say I have officially reached the point of wondering why I should keep paying for HBO.
Westworld and Barry
c-jags
Wes97 said:

I know it's a chick show but Big Little Lies is exceptional.
mike_ags_fan12
It was excellent.

Anyone catch the Garrett Dillahunt resurrection??
ham98
They did a great job closing out the story.
Democrat for Trump!
expresswrittenconsent
mike_ags_fan12 said:

It was excellent.

Anyone catch the Garrett Dillahunt resurrection??

I hope you die in the street like my dad.
Stive
AG
Wes97 said:

The Deuce?!?
MW03
AG
jock1020 said:

I absolutely loved it. 13 years waiting for closure and I feel like they stuck the landing. Yes, it was beat for beat what you expected. But they executed it so well. If we aren't going to get a full season, you can't ask for much more than what we got tonight.

Amen.
Wes97
AG
Stive said:

Wes97 said:

The Deuce?!?

Ok. You might have convinced me with that one.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.