Major flaw in Captain America, Civil War

4,371 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by bearamedic99
Fightin TX Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So I noticed what seems to be a major flaw. Tell me if you think I'm wrong.

The big fight scene takes place in Germany, at the airport. Cap and Bucky escape in a jet.

Next scene, Iron Man is at a hospital with Rhodes. Then, he's back in New York at Avengers HQ with Black Widow. So....Germany to NYC. And a hospital visit.

Then Iron Man gets a news flash. He gets in a helicopter and flies to the ocean somewhere. To an ocean prison. He learns Cap went to Siberia. Iron Man flies off to Siberia.

Next scene, Cap and Bucky land in Siberia. They are in the building maybe 2 mins before Iron Man shows up. He says "it's been a long day."

So, in the same time it took Cap to fly from Germany to Siberia, Iron Man went to the hospital, went from Germany to NY, went to an ocean prison and then went to Siberia.

powerbelly
AG
I can confidently say you are taking comic book movies way too seriously.
Your post got me thinking too. Major flaw in The Incredible Hulk. When Bruce banner morphs into the Hulk, his clothes stay intact instead of ripping apart showing his hulk *****
AgfromHOU
AG
And when he morphs back to Banner, he looks like Mark Ruffalo. Like, where did that come from?
Fightin TX Aggie
AG
Come on. Internal consistency still matters even in sci fi.
rhutton125
AG
I've seen this brought up before, and unfortunately I don't have much of an answer. Unless Iron Man at full speed is that much faster than a quinjet.
AliasMan02
AG
If you need an answer, it's that Cap and Bucky didn't go straight to Siberia and other things happen offscreen.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I hope the op isn't a Game of Thrones watcher.

The Dark Knight Rises has the same issues. Sometimes, you just half to roll with it.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
I thought Major Flaw was the name of the villain.

Claude!
Plus, they're both elderly drivers. They were probably cruising along slowly and stopping every hour to use the bathroom.
The Collective
AG
Sometimes I want to punch OP in his perfect teeth
TXAG 05
AG
This is a world where they have flying aircraft carriers. I'll bet they have some airplanes that can get them across the pond pretty quick.
MGS
If the Hulk could take a quinjet to another freaking planet, I think intercontinental travel in one would be pretty quick.
John Matrix
AG
Yeah, this "flaw" is what goes under the header "because movie." They could have done a five minute montage on how Tony got to the base but that would have taken away from the, you know, plot of the movie.
Satellite of Love
MGS said:

If the Hulk could take a quinjet to another freaking planet, I think intercontinental travel in one would be pretty quick.

He was sucked into a wormhole after leaving Sokovia. How long he flew is a mystery but he didn't fly all the way to the other planet.
bad_teammate said on 2/10/21:
Just imagine how 1/6 would've played out if DC hadn't had such strict gun laws.

Two people starred his post as of the time of this signature. Those 3 people are allowed to vote in the US.
bearamedic99
AG
Why don't we discuss how Iron man can fly at all, for more than a brief burst?
schmendeler
AG
I think "major flaw" is a bit much.
Liquid Wrench
Son, you're getting into mighty dangerous territory on this board if you want to start treading into the possibility of the notion that the MCU movies are just popcorn movies w/ great cgi and not great stories.
Fightin TX Aggie
AG
Social Media Influencer said:

Son, you're getting into mighty dangerous territory on this board if you want to start treading into the possibility of the notion that the MCU movies are just popcorn movies w/ great cgi and not great stories.
"Plot consistency doesn't matter in sci-fi" is weak sauce.

It's easy, but it's weak.

Good art is good art.

powerbelly
AG
The MCU isnt great sci-fi by any stretch

Liquid Wrench
Iron Man's suit has completely crossed over from SciFi to magic/fantasy.
powerbelly
AG

Iron Man's suit has completely crossed over from SciFi to magic/fantasy.

Agree. I really don't consider mcu sci fi.
AgMarauder04
AG
Iron Man's suit would kill him.

Articles have been written on it.
bearamedic99
AG
Yup, Iron Man is more magic than Legolas
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
AgMarauder04 said:

Iron Man's suit would kill him.

Articles have been written on it.
Reporter: "Hey chief, got any hot leads for me today?"
Editor: "Sure do, Skippy. I need 800 words on my desk tomorrow - title "Iron Man's Suit Would Kill Him"
Reporter: "Err, you mean Iron Man from the movies? The Robert Downey JR. character?"
Editor: "THat's right SKippy, it's new, it's hot, it's fresh, that movie just came out 11 years ago, people are buzzing about it."
Reporter: "I mean couldn't I do something about crime, or politics, or the environment, or how Central Florida almost destroyed 99% of brackets?"
Editor: "Nope. It's Iron Man's suit. We must have articles written about it to make sure everyone knows that the movie in which a billionaire is captured by terrorists, builds a suit of armor with a flamethrower out of missile components, then is able to fight off 40 guys with machine guns and a guy with a bazooka, just days after surviving a near fatal accident and open-heart surgery done in a cave, followed by his triumphant return where he keeps trying to pretend Gwyneth Paltrow is really hot and then flies back across the world in like 4 minutes to stop some guys in a place called Gulmira, who I always thought was the sequel to the Oak Ridge Boys' song "Elvira", then has to fight another robot suit with Jeff Bridges inside of it, who has learned how to operate the suit perfectly in like 7 minutes even though we saw Tony Stark take at least several days to figure it out, then dies but doesn't really die, we need people to know that that Iron Man suit can't really do that stuff."
AliasMan02
AG
Narrative is more important than slavish devotion to the passage of time in pretty much any movie. If that sort of thing bothers you, you must hate Empire, which is a classic example of this. There are limits, but just like the use of coincidence to move a plot forward (our hero happens to overhear exactly the info he needs at the critical moment!), is a necessary shortcut.

I think the latest trend of finding weird straw men to beat up on the MCU is kinda lame. Like criticizing it for not being great sci-fi, a claim it has never made. It's objectively not science fiction. It's always been unapologetically fantastic. One of the great things about the MCU is that it doesn't make apologies for what it is.
Another Doug
AG
titanmaster_race
Even bigger flaw: what is the point of turning a helicarrier invisible? Those big ass turbines would be making enough noise that anyone could still find it.
double aught
AG
AliasMan02 said:

One of the great things about the MCU is that it doesn't make apologies for what it is.
Nice post. But what does this mean?
LeonardSkinner
Now, hold on a minute there. I've never found her hot in anything else she's done, but Gwyneth Paltrow is pretty damn fine as Pepper Potts.
AliasMan02
AG
double aught said:

AliasMan02 said:

One of the great things about the MCU is that it doesn't make apologies for what it is.
Nice post. But what does this mean?

The MCU embraces its comicbookness. When Stark rolls out a nanotech suit that can literally so anything, the writers/directors don't fall over themselves trying to justify it because it's just part of the package. Cap's shield bounces around in completely impossible ways and that's treated like it's totally fine because he's Cap (that thing doesn't obey the laws of physics at all!). That's all part of why it's fantasy and doesn't even approach sci-fi.
Urban Ag
AG
I saw Civil War. I liked it. The kids liked it. Hell even the wife liked it. There is a guy that is 100 years old and wears a goofy red/white/blue outfit and throws a shield at people. There's a guy that can instantly shrink to the size of an insect or expand to the size of King Kong. There was even a kid that shoots spider webs out if his wrists.

Wait, what were we talking about again?
TMoney2007
AG
Fightin TX Aggie said:

"Plot consistency doesn't matter in sci-fi" is weak sauce.

It's easy, but it's weak.

Good art is good art.
Where's the major flaw? Iron Man flys real fast and Cap travels less quickly...

If you're going to pick apart things that don't make sense in the MCU flicks you're going to miss the whole point. You're going to have a bad time if you get this hung up about these kinds of things. They're everywhere in all kinds of movies. They don't matter there either.
Urban Ag
AG
Next thing you know, a Norse god, a walking tree, and a talking racoon will ride a magic rainbow across the cosmos!
bearamedic99
AG
LMAO
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.