A&M Prof Has A New Violin Design

2,703 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by La Fours
alph
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Quote:

Professor Emeritus Joseph Nagyvary at Texas A&M has conducted violin research for 40 years. After exhaustive tonal frequency tests, chemical analysis, and detailed measurements of key parts, he believes that making violin fingerboards lighter and shorter would bring their sound closer to that produced by the instruments of Italian masters centuries ago. His work is published in the latest issue of the music journal The Strad.
https://today.tamu.edu/2019/03/05/new-violin-design-could-change-the-instrument-forever/

The sound of a Stradivari violin for a fraction of the price. Whoop!
Flashdiaz
AG
Duncan Idaho
Pretty sure he was my biochem prof. I seem to remember hearing that he was working on this back in the 90s.
Dr.Rumack
Yes he was our Bio Chem professor.
Woody2006
AG
His wife was my high school chemistry teacher, and I went to school with his daughter. Great Aggie family.
La Fours
AG
Fraction of the price of a Stradivarius violin. Nagyvary's violins start at around $10k.
redd38
AG
I just listened to a bunch of violins on YouTube from > $1 million to $100 and they all sounded the same
Bird Poo
AG
redd38 said:

I just listened to a bunch of violins on YouTube from > $1 million to $100 and they all sounded the same

I was about to do the same thing. Thanks for saving me time.
BennyBlancoFromTheBright
AG
PearlJammin said:

redd38 said:

I was about to do the same thing. Thanks for saving me time.
CE Lounge Lizzard
AG

I wonder what it would sound like as a fiddle in the hands of someone like Bobby Flores who's a pretty decent fiddle player.
birdman
Long time Biochem prof. Still sounds like Dracula.
AgPediRPh
AG
As soon as I saw "A&M prof" and "violin" I knew it was Dr Nagyvary. He joked with us that he was from Hungary, home of vampires.
cinag83
I knew it had to be him too. Had him back in the early 80's for Biochem. He might be great with violins, but almost made me learn to hate the subject. Regained an appreciation for biochemistry under Harris and Baldwin. But cool stuff about the less expensive violin.
La Fours
AG
One of my very good friends must have grown up with Woody06. My friend told me about Dr. Nagyvary when my son joined orchestra and started playing violin. Apparently Dr. Nagyvary's daughter is a very talented violinist.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.