TexAgs Entertainment Board Rating System?

2,685 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Redstone
PDWT_12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
A couple of weeks ago someone made a half joking post in the Marvel thread about a TexAgs Entertainment Board Rating site. I was wondering if there was any actual interest in this? I think it would be really cool if board members had a place where they could go rate movies, whether it's new releases, classics, or whatever.

Not necessarily as a place to go instead of IMDb or Rotten Tomatoes to get an idea of what movies are worth watching or not, but to see what are some of TexAgs favorite/most hated movies, what year has the highest average score, and other cool stuff. I think it would be a lot of fun, but it obviously only works if a large group of other people are interested, and willing to rate a lot of movies.

I'm currently thinking it can all be done in a Google Sheet, with each user getting a designated column to input movie scores, instead of an anonymous poll or something like that. So if you're interested in seeing something like this happen, post in this thread or email me at taebratingsystem@gmail.com
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Cool idea
Bruce Almighty
AG
Good idea. I trust this board more than rotten tomatoes or metacritic.
chipotle
I give captain marvel 3 out of 5 deb faces
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Same here. We may all have our biases but it'll be impossible to sabotage this board the way IMdb and RT have gotten.
The Collective
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Same here. We may all have our biases but it'll be impossible to sabotage this board the way IMdb and RT have gotten.

Forum 16.
bearamedic99
AG
I don't use spreadsheets much. is it possible to limit input per column to just one user?

1-10 rating?
PDWT_12
AG
bearamedic99 said:

I don't use spreadsheets much. is it possible to limit input per column to just one user?

1-10 rating?
Yep. The owner of a Google Sheet can lock any rage so that only specified users can edit it. So basically, you would email the address I posted above with your TexAgs Username. I would email you back with a link to the Sheet and tell you which column is yours for editing. It would have your Username above it, as a kind of guard against trolling and a way to keep people accountable.

That's up to the board I guess. I personally rate my movies out of 100 so I can kind of have a little more range, but I guess a 73 and a 7.3 are the same thing.

The other question is, how "big" should we start. I have an excel list of like... 5,000 movies going back to the early 70s. Or we can just do a couple of hundred movies from the last 5 years to start. I wouldn't want anyone to open up the sheet and think "Oh sheet. I don't know what half these movies are. Maybe this isn't for me." But I also don't want to limit us so that great movies like the Godfather or The Dark Knight aren't included simply because they came out before 2010.
Fenrir
At this point not sure that older/classic movies need to be on the list. Most of us will have seen them or heard enough about them to have a vague idea whether we would enjoy watching it. If it needs to be on there, maybe split it up? Have a section for more recent/upcoming movies and a section for older/classic movies?
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
A "TCTTS" would be the rating for a movie that comes highly recommended but in reality is very 'meh'.
Flashdiaz
AG
good idea, maybe start with 2019.
PDWT_12
AG
That's fair. Maybe put a focus on movies from the last 5 years, but add like, all the Star Wars films. Then we could have a TexAgs ranking of those, or the MCU, etc.

I had also planned on having a "Movie Request" tab on the sheet. So if someone saw a movie and it wasn't on the list, they could request that it get added so it could be rated by the board.
gus1390
Rex Racer
AG
Could we not use Letterboxd?
PDWT_12
AG
In theory I guess we could. Get everybody to make an account and just follow each other. But there's no way to create "groups", where if you look up a movie it will only show you what the "group" rated it. From what I can tell anyway.
Rex Racer
AG
PDWT_12 said:

In theory I guess we could. Get everybody to make an account and just follow each other. But there's no way to create "groups", where if you look up a movie it will only show you what the "group" rated it. From what I can tell anyway.
Ah. Nevermind then.
FightinTexasAg15
AG
Reddit.com/r/movies does something like this:

Example from captain marvel

You go to a link: https://youpoll.me/11369/ where you vote on the movie

Or you can go to the results to see how it's been rated: https://youpoll.me/11369/r.

You could put something like this in the initial post of an official or spoiler thread
Prime0882
AG
Yelnick McWawa said:

A "TCTTS" would be the rating for a movie that comes highly recommended but in reality is very 'meh'.
So, A Star is Born?
Luke Smith
This is something I could get behind
PDWT_12
AG
I have a Google Sheet set up and I have put some ratings in, as well as set up some columns for some users who have already emailed me. If you think this sounds like fun, email me at taebratingsystem@gmail.com with your TA username attached. Since it's on Google Sheets, a gmail account works best, but is not necessary. I'll email you back with your "rating column" and we'll see where it goes.

There are about 400 movies in there, mostly from 2016-2018, some new releases, and complete franchises like Star Wars and the MCU. There is a movie request page, and we'll add and remove movies as needed. Feel free to rate as many or as few movies as you want.

Once we get 10+ people rating some movies, I'll post the link for the Summary Sheet, which will be where anybody can go to lookup what TA rated a certain movie, see what the highest rated movies are, etc. It will look something like this.

This may end up being a terrible idea, so if it all fizzles out in like two weeks we can just blame Rian Johnson.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Trying to remember, what was the consensus on Texags' favorite movie when we did the March Madness bracket?

I think it was Empire Strikes Back.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Trying to remember, what was the consensus on Texags' favorite movie when we did the March Madness bracket?

I think it was Empire Strikes Back.
Yes it was. The final was Empire vs Star Wars. Shawshank was also in the final four but I can't remember what the 2000s movie was, maybe Dark Knight.
YouBet
AG
CJS4715 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Forum 16.

Which is the best forum behind this one. Thanks for call out!
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Neat idea but let me save y'all some trouble ...

(a) Does it have CGI? => it's crap
(b) Was it made by George Lucas after 1983? => it's crap
(c) Was it talked up as the next best thing but now that it's out ... yep, it's crap
PDWT_12
AG
Bumping again before the weekend.

Email me taebratingsystem@gmail.com if you're interested in being able to access the spreadsheet.

Cinco Ranch can verify it only takes me a handful of errors before I finally get the permissions right.
Madmarttigan
AG
We would basically have to have 3-5 people who volunteer to keep the spreadsheet updated with new movies, and additionally request for one of the mods to create a sticky for us to keep at the top of the page so people don't have to hunt down to put their rating in.

Would recommend we do a scale of 1-10 rating system, or 1-100, feels a little more exact versus 1-5.

Also a historical page versus new release page might be helpful instead of having to look through hundreds of movies.

Edit* Nvm I see you can organize by release date.
mazag08
AG
I don't see the point in this..
We already know this boards rating system.

Does it virtue signal and is it PC?

Five stars

Was it directed by Dinesh D'Souza, Ben Shapiro, or Steven Crowder?

1 Star.

If neither, does it involve a person having fish with a sex?

Five stars

If not, does it involves sharks who may or may not travel by tornado?

Five stars

Everything else gets 3 stars.

You're welcome.
Redstone
AG
Really? We are recycling my old ideas now?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.