Netflix: Love Death + Robots

9,480 Views | 68 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Robert L. Peters
Max Power
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This is an animation anthology produced by David Fincher and Tim Miller. 18 different episodes around 10 - 15 minutes long. They are all completely different and range from sci-fi to comedy to horror. The animation styles are completely different as well. Some old school 2D, some cutting edge 3D as well.

I've watched the first nine to date and enjoyed it so far. Most of the episodes are NSFW, no kids.

My 3 favorites so far:

1 - When the Yogurt Took Over: comedy about sentient yogurt, seriously, it's great
2 - Beyond the Aquila Rift: horror on a space station
3 - Sonnie's Edge: sci-fi about fighting monsters

If you're looking for something different, this has delivered so far.
israeliag
AG
Thanks for starting a thread on this. I was thinking of starting one, but I think I'm only ~6 in.

The Three Robots one may be my favorite so far - would love to see that get turned into a series.

But so far, this is a great "series". It's sort of like getting a bunch of cut scenes from video games.
israeliag
AG
Here's the trailer:

Max Power
AG
I really liked Three Robots as well, pretty funny. But When The Yogurt Took over raised the bar for me for comedy in the series, but they are both awesome, just different. If you like horror just wait for Beyond the Aquila Rift, the reveal is bananas and totally WTF/terrifying.
TCTTS
AG
I've watched the first four so far and Sonnie's Edge and The Witness are some of the best CGI/animation I've ever seen. The Witness, in particular, is produced in a style that's unlike anything I've ever seen. It almost looks like Into the Spider-verse, but WAY more realistic. Just incredible. Can't wait to finish the rest.
zip90
AG
Burned through the entire first season.

Felt like a cross between Heavy Metal and Ion Flux.

Loved it
Sex Panther
AG
I'm absolutely loving it. I'm through Shape Shifters and that was a great one. My favorites are probably the same as Max Powers, but Beyond The Aquila Rift is up there too.

The animation is so incredible. Fun seeing the different styles when watching back to back. Sonnie's Edge was beautiful, but I agree The Witness had a Spider-Verse style that was fantastic.

Amazing show
Sex Panther
AG
Lotta animated dong
Muy
AG
zip90 said:

Burned through the entire first season.

Felt like a cross between Heavy Metal and Ion Flux.

Loved it

In
fig96
AG
Been hearing great things about this and have some friends that worked on it but haven't watched it yet. Hopefully this week.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Just started it. Very interesting. But the "TVMA" really can't be emphasized enough since the animations is basically life like.
Robert C. Christian
AG
Ran through this over the weekend. I liked the anthology style as everyone felt fresh and 6-15 minutes kept the stories short but somehow even more interesting because, you didn't want to miss a key point in a show that is 10 minutes.

My top three:

1 - When the Yogurt Took Over
2 - Beyond the Aquila Rift
3 - Three Robots

Bottom:

Fish Night - When the salesman had to heavy hand the premise "I always wondered, if humans have ghosts..." you could hear my eyes roll into my skull.
Sex Panther
AG
Fish Night was cheesy, but I thought the animation was beautiful
Robert C. Christian
AG
I agree that visually it was well done but, this may have been a casualty of the runbtime it had (explain everything in one sentence).
Sex Panther
AG
Yeah a couple of them are like that, which would be my only complaint. I like that its short stories, but some of them could've used a little more development.

Zima Blue was a great example. I thought that one was really interesting and had a lot of promise, but it was so rushed and the development just wasn't there. Another one with beautiful animation though.
TCTTS
AG
So when I said I had watched the first four episodes, it turns out my first four might be different from your first four...

Ol Jock 99
AG
Why would they do that?
TCTTS
AG
Maybe for more accurate viewing stats? Because we don't have to watch them in order, maybe they want to see A) if people sought out certain ones or just let it ride and watched them one after another, and B) which iteration leaned more to which method? Just guessing, though.
Sex Panther
AG
Dammit... all the cartoon wiener was in the first couple for me
TCTTS
AG
I do remember reading your comment and thinking, "Weird. I haven't seen a dong yet."
Madmarttigan
AG
I'm dying
fig96
AG
TCTTS said:

So when I said I had watched the first four episodes, it turns out my first four might be different from your first four...

This is super interesting.

Related, there was an article a while back talking about how even the thumbnails you get for different shows and movie are different based on your viewing habits. A link for Stranger Things, for example, might use imagery that leans more towards horror or more towards action scifi based on your viewing history.
birdman
israeliag said:

I think I'm only ~6 in.

Don't worry about it. That's average.
Post removed:
by user
91_Aggie
AG
AstroAg17 said:

The pool cleaner one was my favorite.

The whole thing was very entertaining. It reminded me of an animated black mirror. In fact I think their intro might be similar to black mirror's intentionally.

The sound effects as they showed the symbols at the beginning of each seemed to be exact same as from.Black Mirror
Hogties
AG
Really enjoyed the series. It's def a love child of Heavy Metal and Aeon Flux. Interesting seeing the different animation styles and the bite size stories made dipping in and out easy. Hope they continue this series.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Just watched Suits. Loved that one. It would make for a great series.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Max Power
AG
Watched Helping Hand last night, which is basically 127 Hours meets Gravity not my favorite, but this anthology is just great overall so far. It's like MTV Liquid Television turned up to 11. This is the kind of thing Netflix can really exploit better than anyone else. Give artistic freedom and funding to people and let them run amok, only constraints here appear to be time-based. I'd love to seem them do more of this vs spending a lot of money for big names to put into what are essentially SyFy channel movies.
Flashdiaz
AG
Time based? One of the things I like about Netflix series is that there is no set time for an episode in some series. In Black mirror, an episode could be 40 min or over an hr depending on the story.
Max Power
AG
Given how short each episode is I would think that was by design from Netflix, that or they each had a specific budget and animation isn't cheap so the episode had to be short due to finances.
Urban Ag
AG
This is not something I would normally watch but I am out of series on Netflix to get through workouts, and I can only watch Ragnorak and Infinity War so many times

Outside of Pixar and Dreamworks with the kids, animation is not my thing. But I gave this a try the last two days and have thoroughly enjoyed it. I've jumped around through episodes. My reviews so far:

Sonnie's Edge - not bad, took me a double take to realize the monster was controlling her, not the other way around. I think.

Three Robots - not bad, pretty funny. Political. Kind of meh.

Suits - very fun. Animation the lowest quality of the season (so far for me) but great overall.

Beyond the Aquila Rift - it was allright. Best animated sex scene I have ever seen. Actually, I think the only animated sex scene I have ever seen. was the gist of it that their spaceship was intercepted by aliens who created a virtual environment so they could experiment on him? I kept saying, just be happy with the chic and don't ask for the truth lol

Shape Shifters - good, not great. Sex Panther must have watched this first to get him all excited about CGI dong cause I haven't see any more dong
The opening scene was the best for me.

Lucky 13 - amazing. What a great short story. At the end, I thought Ship 13 was going to pull a Christine but then I realized the artificial intelligence was waiting for the right time to detonate to save the pilot and Marines. Really awesome. I also bet that Christine had some influence on whoever thought this up.

Alternative History - meh, mildly amusing

The Secret War - amazing. Ending was great.

Will finish this out over the weekend. Look forward to more. Never thought I could get in to something like this.
Madmarttigan
AG
Secret War was amazing. Sonnie's Edge and Lucky 13 were really good too.

Three robots teabagging and cat stuff had me laughing a lot though.
israeliag
AG
Just caught a few more.

The Hunt was absolutely fantastic. So far it's the one that made me feel the most, and it's currently sitting at the top for me (with maybe 4 more to go). The mix of what felt like traditional Disney animation with such a... melancholy? tragic? brutal? feel was a great contrast. The passage of time from a spirit-full world to an industrial one to a steam-punk one (and the full-circle evolution that the female lead goes through), the theme of almost deifying your parents only to have that view shattered, the trope of forbidden love, and even the narration all really worked for me.

Beyond Aquila Rift was pretty cool, and some incredible CG. They had some problems with matching the facial movements to the voice/tone and emotions, but when the frame was almost just the woman's face... photoreal. The end could have been better, IMO, if they made it out that he wasn't sure if that was a dream or real and what world he's now in, rather than making it clear he's been looping in a sim.

Shape Shifters was a pretty cool concept. Felt very X-Men-y. Possibly my #3 so far (after The Hunt and Three Robots, respectively).

Helping Hand was a great, tight little story. Very similar to, but dare I say better than Gravity?

There were a few others, but not really stand-outs, IMO.
Vince Blake
Thought I would watch just 1 or 2 episodes last night after the wife and kids went to bed and ended up burning through all of them in one sitting. Loved it! Loved the different animation styles, the stories, and just how weird and metal some of them got. Hope they do more in the future.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.