Barry Season 2

27,470 Views | 217 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Swarely
Definitely Not A Cop
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Looks like it's jusy gonna get crazier this season.
expresswrittenconsent
S1 was such a delight. Completely unexpected show that delivered with pretty much 100% of the characters on screen.
The main cast was fantastic.
The rando hard charging ex marine buddies were great.
My favorite though has to be the bald Eastern European gangster.
Mozart Paintings
AG
In - great show
PatAg
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

S1 was such a delight. Completely unexpected show that delivered with pretty much 100% of the characters on screen.
The main cast was fantastic.
The rando hard charging ex marine buddies were great.
My favorite though has to be the bald Eastern European gangster.

yea, NoHo Hank is just so funny every time. It's actually impressive.
Sex Panther
AG

k20dub
AG
Lost it at the Noho bitmoji
Thunder18
AG
Noho Hank may have been my favorite character of any media that I watched or read all last year, just a phenomenal performance
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
My company just had a sales retreat and my boss played the scene from Glengarry Glenross. I shot him this:

Thunder18
AG
Perfect
Tobias Funke
AG
KILL PACO with the confetti animation absolutely destroys me
Jason_Ag98
AG
Glad it's back! I liked the first episode and am looking forward to seeing where this season goes.
TCTTS
AG
Excellent season premiere. That final scene with NoHo Hank going dead serious was really great stuff.
Liquid Wrench
Every time he says "Barry" it sounds a little to me like the old Pauly Shore "Buddeee." Kind of light and friendly, but with hints of creepiness and danger. Not unlike Pauly Shore himself.
Thunder18
AG
Hank showing up in the wig and then explaining he is in disguise cracked me up
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Thunder18 said:

Hank showing up in the wig and then explaining he is in disguise cracked me up

Him threatening to murder Barry and then driving away to what sounded like the A*Teens was the funniest part of the episode.
TajMaballer
AG
Between his work on Atlanta and Barry, is there a better director working in tv than Hiro Murai? Every episode he has worked on the last few years has been nothing short of spectacular.
Liquid Wrench
I liked the closing song. I need to dive into some more Link Wray.

Definitely Not A Cop
AG
TajMaballer said:

Between his work on Atlanta and Barry, is there a better director working in tv than Hiro Murai? Every episode he has worked on the last few years has been nothing short of spectacular.

He also had the best music video.
Robert C. Christian
AG
Really enjoyed the episode. Agree that Hank is the best, recapping the partnership had me cracking up.
Geriatric Punk
AG
Don't cross me, Barry. It's not polite.
Life's an endless party, not a pushcart.
Dad
AG
I loved season 1, but I'm going to wait and get about a month behind so I can watch it a few episodes at a time.
oragator
I liked it I guess, but like last year, I still feel like it's hard to know who we are rooting for, against, whether Hader is good or bad, whether the show is a comedy with only a few funny lines an episode, a drama with little emotion etc.
It's unique and I like that, but hope it gets deeper.
Al Bula
AG
This is the best show on TV for me right now. The stage scene and then the NoHo Hank final scene were nails. Very strong televisioning.
OldArmy71
AG
I was really hoping that the killing of Janice was a bad dream or something. It's just so implausible to me that he could make her vanish in a matter of hours without getting any evidence on his shoes, clothes, etc. What did he do with the body? And besides, I really liked her character.

That said, I liked this episode.
ac04
everyone is laughing at the hand stabbing now
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
oragator said:

I still feel like it's hard to know who we are rooting for, against, whether Hader is good or bad, whether the show is a comedy with only a few funny lines an episode, a drama with little emotion etc.
It's unique and I like that, but hope it gets deeper.
Dude, the things you mentioned are what makes it such an awesome show. I find myself still rooting for Barry even though he murdered Fonzie's girlfriend who was doing what is her absolute right thing to do in the situation. I root for Barry to find a little happiness with the poor mans Sarah Chalke and I die laughing when Stephen Root demands the court order for his DNA while drinking a Coke can.

It is light years away from the tone of The Shield, but rooting for Barry is like rooting for Vic Mackey. He's doing some really terrible stuff - murdering a true friend (shot out to Fanboys) and a cop - but I still want him to get away with it.
TCTTS
AG
Well said. Thought the same thing when I read that post. He listed every reason I love this show.
oragator
Yeah I still like the show overall,and if it resonates with others more than me, great.
Only saying that the comparative lack of real character development (which to be fair picked up a bit this last week) and Hader's monotone performance means I don't root for or against anyone, haven't really been given a reason to. I am more invested in the uniqueness of the show than the characters or story. And the supporting actors like Root and Carrigan drive the quality better than the leads much of the time.
I will keep watching, just feels like it leaves a lot on the table sometimes.
Duncan Idaho
You must hate breaking bad, game of thrones, mad men, better call Saul, Deadwood, or even just living life.
oragator
Love all those, a good antihero is great TV.

I was actually thinking about the breaking bad comparison when I was writing that. Think about the depths they took you through with WW - here was a guy, stuck in a dead end job, had let the opportunity of a lifetime pass him
by, had a disabled kid, a functional but not great marriage...and behind all of that gets a terminal cancer diagnosis and decides to take care of his family. The whole show is his devolving from a man who ostensibly did what he did to take care them, into a man who discovers his sociopathic and narcissistic side and learns to embrace it. It's a brilliant character study with remarkable attention to detail in the plot construction.
This show has little to none of that - all we know about Barry is that he is conflicted about killing people, the rest of the show is largely superficial. And on the idea of his being monotone, has he even smiled once in a season plus? Was there even a hint of emotion when he had to talk to Winkler after killing his GF? After he killed his buddy that was done in 30 seconds and not revisited etc. He's not three dimensional.
I am not trying to get people to not like the show, if others connect to him great, just saying that I don't. They could do more to humanize him and it would make the show more interesting for me. I still enjoy it, just not as much as I could.
TCTTS
AG
Yoda
AG
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
oragator said:

Love all those, a good antihero is great TV.

I was actually thinking about the breaking bad comparison when I was writing that. Think about the depths they took you through with WW - here was a guy, stuck in a dead end job, had let the opportunity of a lifetime pass him
by, had a disabled kid, a functional but not great marriage...and behind all of that gets a terminal cancer diagnosis and decides to take care of his family. The whole show is his devolving from a man who ostensibly did what he did to take care them, into a man who discovers his sociopathic and narcissistic side and learns to embrace it. It's a brilliant character study with remarkable attention to detail in the plot construction.
This show has little to none of that - all we know about Barry is that he is conflicted about killing people, the rest of the show is largely superficial. And on the idea of his being monotone, has he even smiled once in a season plus? Was there even a hint of emotion when he had to talk to Winkler after killing his GF? After he killed his buddy that was done in 30 seconds and not revisited etc. He's not three dimensional.
I am not trying to get people to not like the show, if others connect to him great, just saying that I don't. They could do more to humanize him and it would make the show more interesting for me. I still enjoy it, just not as much as I could.

I think it's pretty obvious that the entire show is based on this Marine who has been through immense trauma his entire life. To make things worse, he is amazing at what he hates, which means he is constantly pressured/forced into doing it. As a result, he has shut down emotionally until he discovers acting, his first real outlet to convey his emotions.
Max Power
AG
The sympathetic villain is difficult to pull off, but when done well it makes the story told so much better. Barry does this, just like Breaking Bad, and Better Call Saul. Villains that are evil, just for evils sake, tend to make poor stories, with few exceptions. Thanos in Infinity War at least has a reason for what he's doing, same as Magneto in the X-Men films. The only villain of recent memory for me that is just evil for evil's sake but is still awesome is The Joker in The Dark Knight.
Sex Panther
AG
Max Power said:

The only villain of recent memory for me that is just evil for evil's sake but is still awesome is The Joker in The Dark Knight.

Joffrey and Ramsay

But agree with your sentiment for the most part

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.