*****SURVIVOR: EDGE OF EXTINCTION*****

23,076 Views | 247 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by bbattbq01
gravy97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
And not having to vote anyone off or blindside anyone
aggietony2010
AG
Bobcat06 said:

It's very clear that anyone coming back from edge of extinction was mentally refreshed and not used to the grind that the rest of the tribe experienced by going to tribal everyday. Both Devins and Chris came out like a house on fire.

Yes, Gavin Lauren and Victoria seemed worthless by the end, but it was because they had been worn out by Devins running laps around them. They were good players and had made some pretty big moves early in the game (voting out Aubrey, Joe, Eric and Julia), but the grind wore them down compared to someone coming back fresh.

Not only that, he literally got to sit and bond with the jury for 20+ days without having to worry about offending any of them.

Edge of Extinction could've worked, but the jury needed to start forming after the last player came back in.
Old Tom Morris
Anyone that voted for him should be punched in the dick tit.
4stringAg
AG
gravy97 said:

And not having to vote anyone off or blindside anyone

Yep that's a big thing in my opinion is that Chris never was it in a situation day over day to make enemies.
Old Tom Morris
Not only not make enemies, as mentioned above, he got 3 weeks of bonding time.
blackgoldag11
AG
Although devens didn't win, that season was great IMHo
Rudyjax
AG
Way to turn one of the better seasons into a ahit finale.

Southlake
Gutsiest move I've ever seen, Chris...

Bravo.
Tabasco
AG
bac said:

MuckRaker96 said:

inside survivor says Sandra and Boston Rob will act as advisers to tribes on Season 39 but not take part as contestants.

Says Season 40 is all winners, but that Probst has routinely fought against it, saying that they have only about 10 returning winners who really want to play and are interesting, not 18 or 20, but apparently they've found a way to make it happen. Perhaps a bigger prize, like $10 million instead of $1 million?
Ugh, I loathe those two.

I get the hate, but come on, Boston Rob was one of the GOAT. He ran the show.
Bobcat06
AG
Southlake said:

Gutsiest move I've ever seen, Chris...

Bravo.
Was it?

Chris had no resume. He was voted out on day 9 and sat around for a month then came back at the very end. He survived one of the tribals because he was gifted an immunity idol. It would be very easy for the jury to decide that he didn't make a big move and had just kinda coasted (like most the audience feels).

Getting to the end without anything on your resume is just as worthless as going home.
FightinAggie07
AG
How is nobody talking about the fact that Victoria didn't vote for her friend Gavin to win? Seems like they always trusted each other, and she also told Gavin she'd vote for him to win it. Sure, Chris made the impressive play to knock out the favorite, but I thought Gavin could at least count on Victoria.
Dawnguard
AG
A long time ago, I used to think that the outcast tribe was a good idea that was poorly executed.

As time has gone on, I started to realize that bringing players back into the game was a terrible idea. Then, big brother started to make this a regular feature, and it has always resulted in conservative instead of dramatic gameplay.

Chris did everything you could ever want a returning player to do, and yet his win still feels hollow. Part of that was due to the great edit Devins got vs Gavin, but overall it just was hyped up to help show why Chris won (take out the guy everyone else couldn't)

I am glad they tried something different, but I hope (but know that it isn't) that this is the last returning player for a while.
Rudyjax
AG
This was flawed and I hope they never do this again.
gravy97
AG
The idea of giving the half idol... i suppose... was to help Chris have some leverage to survive the first vote. However, since he then could make it to the final 4 when he was able to use the idol... just was flawed. Maybe if he survived the first vote, he had to get the idol back and give it to someone else. I know i've been disappointed in the outcome before... but never like this. Chris just wasn't in the game to be deserving.

I also think the idea was to be able to keep the returning players around till the end no matter when they got voted off... but I think it failed by rewarding someone who sat out for 28 days.

IF they ever do something like this again... they need to make edge of extinction a purgatory tribe or something... where they still have to do something to vote people off or choose someone to split rewards... or send someone to another worse island for a few days... something where they don't just all get to be besties and people can still be pissed at each other.

bbattbq01
AG
Count me in the not real happy how that turned out camp. Glad Chris won over Julie or Gavin, but Rick should have won. No way they should let someone back in that late in the game with a huge advantage.

The last vote out tribal was $$$ though, with the two fake idols. Rick laughing as they found and celebrated the fakes was greatness.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
It was a bit screwed up. They lucked out with Chris taking Rick on in fire and beating him. If he lost, the whole final tribal would have been a Rick fest. I forget who voted Gavin, but would any of them stuck with him against Rick?

Dirty Lauren is way better than stage Lauren.
bac
AG
Tony Franklins Other Shoe said:

MW03
AG
I'm convinced that EOE bit was designed entirely to get Joe a survivor win. The last challenge was nearly entirely physical, except for a ball balancing bit which Joe also excels out. They thought he would win, so they concocted that half immunity idol deal specifically to save him and get him to fire or outright immunity.
hurleyag
AG
LHIOB said:

It took Boston Rob four tries and a cast full of morons to finally win.
That was the season I figured out the game was rigged.
Rudyjax
AG
MW03 said:

I'm convinced that EOE bit was designed entirely to get Joe a survivor win. The last challenge was nearly entirely physical, except for a ball balancing bit which Joe also excels out. They thought he would win, so they concocted that half immunity idol deal specifically to save him and get him to fire or outright immunity.
It's quite possible.

The bulk of the jury spent a lot of time with Chris. And Chris is really likable and made friends with everyone there. They felt someone from EOE deserved it as much as someone in the game.

That's the flaw of EoE.

It is that it's freaking tv show and you can't have someone win it who has had 5 minutes of TV time in the last X weeks before the final win a tv game show.

He did do more in those 4 days than the others, but it's not 4 days.

Gavin should've won based upon what we saw.

I hope they never do that again.
agsquirrel97
AG
I am going to try to be positive, so I will just go with my top 5 favorite moments of the finale:

5) Devins finding HII ensuring he makes F4 and at least gets to make fire.
4) Devins winning F4 immunity ensuring he at least gets to make fire
3) Devins planting 2 fakes and getting people to buy it
2) ????
1) Profit - Overhead shot of Lauren deciding who to vote for, it was a split second looking straight down and they suspiciously didn't show that shot of anyone else!

In absentia lucis, Tenebrae vin****.
Bulldog73
AG
I know and agree about the whole EoE thing, and that Chris wasn't really a deserving winner (but he was more than Julie and probably even Gavin IMHO). I get those complaints, but I did love the moment that he gave up his necklace to take on the (Actual) champ.

2 other things to add: As much as Devins was the best player this season, he was also a returner from EoE. Think of how lame the end of this season could've been without him these last few weeks. Therefore, I don't hate a returner coming back in, but not nearly as late as Chris came back.

Last thing, Fishbach tweeted last night something that resonates with the complaints, it was basically "The test of winner of Survivor is who can vote all these people out, and still have them vote for him/her. This season's winner totally threw that out the winner." It's fascinating to me that Gavin never once had his name written down. That is impressive, even if I don't feel like he played very well.
Rudyjax
AG
Bulldog73 said:

I know and agree about the whole EoE thing, and that Chris wasn't really a deserving winner (but he was more than Julie and probably even Gavin IMHO). I get those complaints, but I did love the moment that he gave up his necklace to take on the (Actual) champ.

No doubt he killed it those last 4 days.

But he also wasn't part of the TV show.

Not blaming him, not blaming the jury. Blaming Probaat and the producers.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Kudos go Chris for winning the game with a great, ballsy strategy. Seeing Rick go out was probably the most emotional I've been on a Survivor season. The guy was self-aware, entertaining as hell, and down to earth. A trifecta rarity. Hard to hate EOE because it got Rick back into the game, but as everyone else has said, nobody should get to spend 20-30 days away from the game with 95% of the jury and then get back in.

What I've considered since last night I would love some opinions on. Now clearly, even if this situation was true, Julie was way too dumb to pull it off. However, once Chris gave her the Immunity Necklace, shouldn't the power of picking who goes with her to the end and who is in the fire making contest go to her as well? She is the only one safe at that point.

She still wasn't going to win, but after hearing Chris detail his strategy of having to earn jury votes by defeating Rick in the fire-making contest, Julie could have said - nope, I'm taking Chris to my final 3, thus denying him that right to curry favor with the jury by knocking out Rick. Now Chris's resume is significantly weakened, and two threats to win the game - Gavin and Rick - are head to head in the fire making.

Whomever won that would have still won the game over her, but a last minute strategy to defuse Rick's grand strategy might have earned her a vote or two. Interested to hear your thoughts.

And that giant statue of Sandra's head on the preview of season 39? Christ, I hope someone accidentally sets that on fire early on in the game.
MooreTrucker
AG
agsquirrel97 said:

I am going to try to be positive, so I will just go with my top 5 favorite moments of the finale:

5) Devins finding HII ensuring he makes F4 and at least gets to make fire.
4) Devins winning F4 immunity ensuring he at least gets to make fire
3) Devins planting 2 fakes and getting people to buy it
2) ????
1) Profit - Overhead shot of Lauren deciding who to vote for, it was a split second looking straight down and they suspiciously didn't show that shot of anyone else!

LOL!! I commented on that exact thing to my wife...horny cameraman with the cleavage shot.
MooreTrucker
AG
bac said:

Tony Franklins Other Shoe said:

Ponderosa Lauren is hottest.
Southlake
Sandra and Boston Rob next time? Yuk.

Gavin made a deal with Rick But was ready to reneg when it was his turn to protect Rick.

Ricks fatal mistake was giving half the Immunity Idol back to Chris. You dance with the devil...

Also, Lauren giving the Immunity Idol to Chris sealed her fate.

Just like a lesser team coming back late in the game to win, many things have to fall into place. Think of A&M beating LSU in 7 OTs. 11 critical plays went A&Ms way (Not saying we didn't deserve the win, but LSU fans sure would)

For Chris to win, he had to:

Gut out EoE. Still not sure what nourishment and protection were available.
Play a social game at EoE with his future jurors
Beat the EoE gang to get back in or be eliminated - mainly Joe (Who the challenge seemed tailor made for)
Broker an alliance with the most dominating player in recent history and get him to give you half an idol back (Rick should have never returned it)
Win the final Immunity Challenge by a landslide
Win fire against Rick
Win the vote.

Everything fell perfect for him. But he made the plays and Outwitted Rick down the stretch.

I personally don't care for ever bringing anybody back who's been voted off. I also think not only are there too many immunity idols, but they seem way too easy to find anymore. I don't like bringing back former players or gimmicks like BR and Sandra returning in any capacity.

I like to see brand new players develop and figure out how to play the game as it goes on.
Old Tom Morris
Strongly dislike the "bring back" factor. If they are going to do it, they need to bring them back much, much sooner. Basically, a reprieve for those that got the boot before the social game even really got going. But I'd prefer nothing at all. I don't think it adds anything to the game.
Eso si, Que es
Old Tom Morris said:

Strongly dislike the "bring back" factor. If they are going to do it, they need to bring them back much, much sooner. Basically, a reprieve for those that got the boot before the social game even really got going. But I'd prefer nothing at all. I don't think it adds anything to the game.
We pretty much assume fire making to get into final 3 is a "permanent" part of the game now, everyone goes into the game with that assumption at this point and plays accordingly.

If they insist on a "bring back" then I would be OK if there was one bring back battle at the merge, everyone else goes home and is not on jury. If the losers are not on jury then there is no "jury tampering". If this was a "permanent" part of the game that everyone assumed going in then it could potentially change the early game dynamics. People would be careful who they voted off early because someone will be back and that "someone" could bite you in the ass. It may also free people up to play looser knowing there is a one time safety net. Worst case scenario, someone goes out on day 3 and are back in the game day 15 and still has to navigate 3.5 weeks of gameplay.

Not likely to happen but going into a Survivor season it is 100% in your control to make final 3, you can win every individual challenge and no one could keep you out of F3.
gravy97
AG
This may be a logistics nightmare... but what if... when they went to EOE... they were alone... each cast off had his/her own spot on an island... not knowing who else was left, no bonding, having to fend for yourself... and then eventually could come back in the game in one big challenge with whoever was left

bac
AG
Ok, so, huge Survivor fan here. Have only missed one season. However, I've never actually gone online to watch any of the Ponderosa videos (for some odd reason).

Lauren changed that for me.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/video/n/survivor-edge-of-extinction-ponderosa-lauren/vp-AABrfY7
HTownAg98
gravy97 said:

This may be a logistics nightmare... but what if... when they went to EOE... they were alone... each cast off had his/her own spot on an island... not knowing who else was left, no bonding, having to fend for yourself... and then eventually could come back in the game in one big challenge with whoever was left

It's called Exile Island, but I get your point. You'd have to have a lot of places to put them to keep them from talking.
gravy97
AG
Like Exile Island, but not just for a night or two... for as long as you want to stay in the game you stay on your own exile... so that someone like Reem would have been alone for 36 days. Chris would have been alone for 28 days. I guess i'm not sure how they would work it once you get to the jury...if you keep getting shuttled back and forth... or just leave it so that once the jury starts, you go to ponderosa and there isn't a second chance to get back in the game so late.

Or do you mean like that one season where once you got voted out, there was a challenge against the previous voted off...to see if you got to keep competing or went home... was that the blood vs water season maybe?
HTownAg98
The former.
expresswrittenconsent
All winner cast - some duds (which you need) but a lot of big personalities and a married couple:

https://www.realityblurred.com/realitytv/2019/05/survivor-40-cast-survivor-winners/

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.