*****SURVIVOR: EDGE OF EXTINCTION*****

22,926 Views | 247 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by bbattbq01
Bobcat06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Premiers tomorrow

Per wikipedia:

Quote:

This season introduces a new mechanic, wherein contestants who are voted off have an option to take a boat to an area known as the "Extinction Island" rather than leave the game permanently. Extinction Island is a desolate, abandoned beach with even fewer amenities than the main island: contestants on the Extinction Island may either wait for an opportunity to re-join the main game, or may choose to leave the game at any point. The remaining contestants will initially be unaware of this twist

Let's get this thing started!
double aught
AG
Every time players have been able to rejoin the game after being voted out I haven't cared for it. We'll see.
Eso si, Que es
My anticipation level is 6/10. I don't like having 4 returnees, I like either all new or all returnees, I think big brother jaded me on partial returnee seasons with obvious production interference.

Quote:

In this video, Probst says that this is all "a secret in the beginning; nobody knows." Once they have been voted out, though, players will have the option to go home or "grab a torch, get in a boat."

Probst said the opportunities to get back in the game "will be the hardest they've ever had to work for anything. And the question we're exploring is, 'How far are you willing to go in this game?"

I have thought for years that they are not making it hard enough on players, stop giving them things and lets find out who is a SURVIVOR. Last season we saw them just blow through their rice because they knew production would just give them more (epic Angela negotiating technique), and we continue to see bigger and more inclusive food rewards. Hell, I had trouble telling if Angela even lost a pound when I saw her on day 39 wearing those same yoga pants.

I know it is harder than it appears on TV, but lets see these people actually fend for themselves! Maybe extinction will be hard core, but I have my doubts.

I remember the very first time someone told me about survivor, I pictured people separated and dropped off on an island and last person to cry uncle wins. Of course that would be boring TV, but I would like to see some survival instincts. Make it hard enough that a few people quit every season.
Big Al 1992
AG
They have that show. Naked and Afraid.
Bobcat06
AG
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Clark_(teacher)
G Martin 87
AG
Waiting to see what happens after the next TC. There can be only one?
aTmAg
AG
Eso si, Que es said:

My anticipation level is 6/10. I don't like having 4 returnees, I like either all new or all returnees, I think big brother jaded me on partial returnee seasons with obvious production interference.

Quote:

In this video, Probst says that this is all "a secret in the beginning; nobody knows." Once they have been voted out, though, players will have the option to go home or "grab a torch, get in a boat."

Probst said the opportunities to get back in the game "will be the hardest they've ever had to work for anything. And the question we're exploring is, 'How far are you willing to go in this game?"

I have thought for years that they are not making it hard enough on players, stop giving them things and lets find out who is a SURVIVOR. Last season we saw them just blow through their rice because they knew production would just give them more (epic Angela negotiating technique), and we continue to see bigger and more inclusive food rewards. Hell, I had trouble telling if Angela even lost a pound when I saw her on day 39 wearing those same yoga pants.

I know it is harder than it appears on TV, but lets see these people actually fend for themselves! Maybe extinction will be hard core, but I have my doubts.

I remember the very first time someone told me about survivor, I pictured people separated and dropped off on an island and last person to cry uncle wins. Of course that would be boring TV, but I would like to see some survival instincts. Make it hard enough that a few people quit every season.
It was like that early on, but one or two contestants started getting so skinny, that the production thought they might do permanent damage (or even die). And contestants would basically lay there (and be boring) because they had no energy to do anything. So they decided to start giving them enough rice to sustain themselves.
gravy97
AG
I don't have a problem with them getting enough food to stay active and compete in the challenges. The hunger can make people more hangry, but typically, they are able to get under each other's skin without starving.

I think I do like the way Extinction Island was shown... in that... no one knows it a thing. She walked off, a bitter old lady, and when she read that... she had new life... and no one in the game has any idea. I think it will be cool when they reintroduce whoever is still there. Also, it gives Joe a chance to get voted off and still stick around to show off that dirty pirate stache.
gravy97
AG
Bobcat06 said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Clark_(teacher)
Interesting!
Quote:

Clark's first year in Harlem was the focus of a 2006 made-for-TV movie, The Ron Clark Story starring Matthew Perry.
I will now just call him Chandler
Bobcat06
AG
FYI - that's the guy who found the hidden advantage
Frozen Concoction
Apparently Lauren played soccer at Baylor.
Southlake
Guess the bitter, bi#$hy lady got Reemed early...

Returning players better play a great social game cause they're pretty much goners.
Rudyjax
AG
Frozen Concoction said:

Apparently Lauren played soccer at Baylor.

She's so delightful to look at.

She's gone early.
blackgoldag11
AG
Feel bad for Keith. Surprised they let him on the show although he can't swim..
Counterpoint
AG
Why was he having such a tough time deciding at the end? He seemed like he was really upset about getting voted out, so it shouldn't have been a tough decision!

MooreTrucker
AG
blackgoldag11 said:

Feel bad for Keith. Surprised they let him on the show although he can't swim..
How dumb do you have to be, though, to go on Survivor without knowing how to swim? How to swim and how to build a fire would be "must know" skills for Survivor.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
I feel like years and years ago, perhaps on Pearl Islands, there was a guy named Osten who also could not swim and had to be water rescued during a challenge. He was a personal trainer or some such. If memory serves, he was destroyed by Rupert in a 1-on-1 challenge on who could keep a heavy load of weight suspended in the air for a longer time.

Ahh, and here is Osten becoming the first person ever to quit. Not sure what's scarier, that Dalton Ross has been writing the same Survivor column for 16+ years or that I was still in my 20s when this episode aired (just turned 45).

bbattbq01
AG
Counterpoint said:

Why was he having such a tough time deciding at the end? He seemed like he was really upset about getting voted out, so it shouldn't have been a tough decision!

I'm guessing the edit was that way because they are saving for next week to show what happens when second person gets to the edge of extinction.
Tabasco
AG
Edit or not, he still struggled with the decision. I found it odd too with how pissed he seemed. Easy decision after a few days. After 20 or so, I would understand.
double aught
AG
Yep. And you can still quit at any point. I'd have to grab the torch and go out of curiosity if for no other reason.
Bobcat06
AG
Counterpoint said:

His strategy was clearly relying on a social game, which failed him right out of the gate. He probably figures that whatever chance at redemption will require a large physical component, which is his weakness.

So his choice is 30-odd days of torture relying on his biggest weakness to get him back in the game or go live it up on Ponderosa for a month. I can see why someone would struggle with that choice.
double aught
AG
I wanna say that those voted out before the merge get sequestered somewhere aside from ponderosa, a hotel maybe. But your point still stands.
expresswrittenconsent
Bobcat06 said:

Counterpoint said:

His strategy was clearly relying on a social game, which failed him right out of the gate. He probably figures that whatever chance at redemption will require a large physical component, which is his weakness.

So his choice is 30-odd days of torture relying on his biggest weakness to get him back in the game or go live it up on Ponderosa for a month. I can see why someone would struggle with that choice.

seems more likely as someone upthread said that it was just editing,

my weird stab at his thought process was that he was confused and overthinking the obvious and thought it was some kind of trick question/riddle.
Rudyjax
AG
double aught said:

I wanna say that those voted out before the merge get sequestered somewhere aside from ponderosa, a hotel maybe. But your point still stands.

Man. A hotel in a tropical area for a month sounds horrible.

All expenses paid.
bbattbq01
AG
Rudyjax said:

double aught said:

All expenses paid.

He's a premed student at Duke or something... this probably really is the dilemma: suck it up out here for who knows how much longer when I know I'm not going to win or cushy hotel for a few weeks.
Bobcat06
AG
bbattbq01 said:

Rudyjax said:

double aught said:

All expenses paid.

He's a premed student at Duke or something... this probably really is the dilemma: suck it up out here for who knows how much longer when I know I'm not going to win or cushy hotel for a few weeks.
That's the other piece of it: for many contestants winning the million is their ticket to a better life. They're playing for their kids, family, etc.

He has his life in front of him with a large earning potential as long as he gets good grades. His future doesn't depend on winning. For him, this is just a game to play for fun.

He's probably been out there for 6 days and realized that being on the island is a lot less fun that watching on his couch. The game he's playing for fun isn't fun anymore.
expresswrittenconsent
Do you guys personally know him? Your insight into what he IS thinking has been really fascinating. I especially like the part where you are wrong about ponderosa but again you were reading his mind, so clearly he had those wrong thoughts about ponderosa, not you.
Southlake
Yeah, imagine Dr. Keith.

Dude can't swim, is fairly weak and lost after a few days.

Yeah, imagine Dr. Keith...
Eso si, Que es
expresswrittenconsent said:

Do you guys personally know him? Your insight into what he IS thinking has been really fascinating. I especially like the part where you are wrong about ponderosa but again you were reading his mind, so clearly he had those wrong thoughts about ponderosa, not you.
Pre merge torch snuffs do go to Ponderosa until the merge. At that point those contestants go on a vacation together to keep them away from the jury. This way they don't know who is voted out beyond the pre merge group and can't spoil anything about jury and boot list.

I did find their insight fascinating as I assume everyone would immediately grab the torch and exit stage left to continue their quest. However, I have to agree that after spending a week starving, and knowing that even IF you fight your way back into the game, the odds are tremendously high that you will immediately be voted out not having relationships back at camp, we see it happen in Big Brother and in survivor every season someone has a chance to return.

So I thank those who took the time to share their insights on a message board discussing the very topic that their insights pertained to!

I even appreciated your stab at his thought process, even though you immediately admonished others for "reading his mind"
Quote:

my weird stab at his thought process was that he was confused and overthinking the obvious and thought it was some kind of trick question/riddle.
Tabasco
AG
Disappointed in Probst

Posed to the superfan:
"Have you ever seen a tribe swap like that?"

Superfan: "no."

Come on! Season 8 (all stars) episode 10. Same thing happened. Teams stayed exactly the same except for Amber. Boston Rob was devistated and tried to make a deal with Lex.
Frozen Concoction
The worst thing about edge of extinction is that Reem is there. I would move to the other side of the island and just come by once a day to borrow the fishing gear.
MooreTrucker
AG
Frozen Concoction said:

The worst thing about edge of extinction is that Reem is there. I would move to the other side of the island and just come by once a day to borrow the fishing gear.

No kidding! What a bitter btch she is, and seems like Keith isn't much better.
Frozen Concoction
Wow, Wardog is five years older than Rick. Don't skip your gym days boys and girls.
HTownAg98
This season isn't much fun so far. I guess that's what happens when one tribe can't compete against the other.

I wish they'd do a schoolyard pick to shake up the tribes. One person from each team picks, but you alternate picks between each team. The picks could give lots of insight to everyone.
MooreTrucker
AG
HTownAg98 said:

This season isn't much fun so far. I guess that's what happens when one tribe can't compete against the other.

I wish they'd do a schoolyard pick to shake up the tribes. One person from each team picks, but you alternate picks between each team. The picks could give lots of insight to everyone.
Well, usually the tribe mix-up doesn't leave one tribe with nothing but remnants of the loser tribe like this.

But yeah, I like the schoolyard pick idea.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.