*** CATCH-22 *** (George Clooney Hulu Limited Series)

2,880 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Geriatric Punk
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This looks pretty great, with a hell of a cast. Produced and directed by George Clooney. Based on Joseph Heller's novel of the same name. The six-episode limited series premieres May 17 on Hulu...

Duncan Idaho
Is this where I complain about politics in entertainment?

Geriatric Punk
AG
Bad ass.
Life's an endless party, not a pushcart.
Boo Weekley
Duncan Idaho said:

LOL, what is political about a WWII show/movie? Are there rumors that it has an anti-American slant or something? George Clooney is a rabid liberal gun grabbing hypocrite, no doubt, but I highly doubt he let's that tarnish something like this.
Geriatric Punk
AG
Boo Weekley said:

Duncan Idaho said:

LOL, what is political about a WWII show/movie? Are there rumors that it has an anti-American slant or something? George Clooney is a rabid liberal gun grabbing hypocrite, no doubt, but I highly doubt he let's that tarnish something like this.
I'm curious, have you read Catch 22?

If not, better grab some M&Ms and get to work. If you have, I think you just missed his joke.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Don't know what this movie's about....I always assumed it was something to do with the music industry.

Did you hear the music on those demos? They were guaranteed a record contract. They were that good.
Duncan Idaho
Boo Weekley said:

Duncan Idaho said:

Well played.

Aost as good as you post calling for Mueller to be executed for treason.
Geriatric Punk
AG
I laughed.
The Milkman
AG
That was maybe the most painful book I've ever tried to read. Tried three different times and couldn't get back the first two chapters.
GCRanger
AG
I've gotten halfway through twice. It just goes on and on and on. Show looks good
Quad Dog
AG
I loved this book. I need to read it again. The original movie is good too. I wonder if the show will be in non-chronological like the book and movie are. Or will it just be stories told in the absurdity of the Catch-22 style and setting.
Geriatric Punk
AG
The Milkman said:

That was maybe the most painful book I've ever tried to read. Tried three different times and couldn't get back the first two chapters.
Funny, my wife said something similar last night. It is definitely more of a labor to read than most books.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
IN
Aggie_Journalist
AG
One of my all-time favorite books. Really excited about this.
Thanks and gig'em
Tobias Funke
AG
The Milkman said:

Same
Solo Tetherball Champ
Tobias Funke said:

The Milkman said:

Same

What? This is one of my all-time favorite books, and one of the few books that I've read that have made me laugh out loud.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Geriatric Punk said:

The Milkman said:

Funny, my wife said something similar last night. It is definitely more of a labor to read than most books.

That book is a beating just like the Hobbit books and dare I say it a confederacy of dunces

Such a hard read don't know if Clooney has the talent to pull this off
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
We need a new thread on toughest reads......

for me

Catcher in the Rye - is pretty dull. don't understand the fascination. Holden Caulfield was a pretentious loser.

Last of the Mohicans - talk about dry reading this is mind numbingly dull. one case where the movie is 100x better

PatAg
AG
I was told about Catch-22 by many people, and read about it in "funniest books" threads online..enough to where I actually bought the book. Just could not get into it, tried a couple times over the past decade.
And I'm a pretty avid reader. I'll read just about anything, and generally pretty quickly.

This book and Confederacy of Dunces
GoAgs92
AG
Great Book, it will be interesting to see if the show can pull it off.

Confederacy of Dunces has it's moments but overall was pretty over rated.
bearamedic99
AG
I hated Confederacy of Dunces but loved Catch 22. I'm excited to see a more modern depiction but am worried that Clooney and crowd might put an ill spin on it.
Quad Dog
AG
There's a new trailer, and I have to say it is fitting the mood of the book well. This thread got me to pull my copy out and reread it. It stood the test of time and was still great, funny, and disturbing.

OldArmy71
AG
It's a great book. I taught it in college a number of times; some enjoyed it, many had a difficult time reading it.

As someone who knows a great deal about WWII and whose father and grandfather fought in it, I confess that Yossarian's desperation to get out of the war bothers me sometimes, though Yossarian (like Heller himself) proved his courage many times over. I tend to idolize and idealize WWII vets. I forget at times that people can be brave and patriotic and scared out of their wits and unwilling to take unnecessary risks and insanely mad at the bureaucracy of killing, all at the same time.

The book is incorrectly read as a screed against war. Heller was justifiably very proud of his service and did not doubt that WWII was a necessary war, though like another WWII combat veteran and author, Paul Fussell, Heller came to be quite wary of some of America's forays overseas.

I did not like the original movie at all. As with many movies, it is hard to capture the book on screen.
Southlake
See, if you read this post and don't like it, then that's normal and you cant leave this board if your normal, however if you read it and like it then you'll want to stay anyway...
Swarely
Caught the first episode tonight. Really enjoyed it.
Bobcat06
AG
Anyone watching this?
jeffk
AG
Episode 3 may have scarred me for life.

"Loved" the book and the series has been awesome. (Quotation marks because it wasn't really a fun read, but still really meaningful.) If you haven't read Joseph Heller's biography, do yourself a favor and check it out. He lived the life he wrote about.

The Hulu extras are pretty amazing too - don't skip them.
Geriatric Punk
AG
Wife and I watched the first two 'sodes last night. So far, it's great. The depiction of the Texan is great. For some reason I always depicted Milo differently, but I like the way they have drawn him up. He was always my favorite.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.