Electronic Music fans

1,066 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Definitely Not A Cop
P.C. Principal
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What are y'all listening to these days? What shows are you planning on going to in 2019?

I only started listening to this genre in 2013/14 but I've been pretty much hooked ever since, and I'm going to several shows a year. I realize the modern sound is pretty different from what it was 10, 20 years ago.

Been pretty much consumed with prog trance, prog house, and deep house. Listening to Above & Beyond's Group Therapy podcast weekly, and listen to Anjunadeep mixes while at work or doing anything that requires quiet and focus. Love just about every DJ on the Anjunabeats label. Also love ASOT and Global DJ Broadcast.
GrayMatter
AG
The "modern sound" has only evolved because of technology and there's plenty of debate whether which sound is better. Because of technology, vocals are easier to mix into productions which in turn has turned off some of the fans. Trance/Prog/Prog House/Deep/House and even Techno all have copied from each other in some way thus making the way for "EDM".

I find myself getting away from ASOT/GDBJ/Group Therapy podcasts because there's so much more music that I missed during the late 90's/early and late 2000's. Between all the new music releases plus infinite amount of podcasts/radio shows and festival/club mixes, that's a lot of music to try catch up on.

I started to listen to Spotify more now and am always finding new channels to listen. But I stay up to date with my favorite DJ's either through FB, Twitter or catch the track listings on the weekly podcasts.

DI.fm, Soundcloud, Mixcloud, Youtube, and websites like Trancefix.nl are also good sources for music.
The conversations will be uncomfortable, but we all have to get comfortable with being uncomfortable for progress to be made.
exitone
AG
I mainly listen to progressive trance, psy trance / goa, big beat, break beat and some progressive house.
I discover some stuff on the Diplo station on XM radio, but mainly rely on the Youtube algorithm for getting me to new stuff.

I'm a big Crystal Method fan, and typically am a sucker for anything with a cool bass line, cool snare and sexy female vocal. I good example of whats up my alley is this...

Mechanical Pressure - Trust Fall
[url] [/url]

The last week or so I have been listening to a lot of psy trance and have been liking this:

Ace Ventura - Psychedelic Awakening Full Album mix
[url] [/url]

Here is some big beat:
Future Funk Squad (battle)
[url] [/url]

Here is a playlists I setup on Youtube. I have started to create a new one each month.
[url] https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLIsdBx4uUFtaJdh3D-GFUBBplvIbGvBam [/url]
P.C. Principal
I think it all boils down to personal preference. Anytime I listen to some modern trance track or podcast on youtube there is ALWAYS a comment about how it's not "real" trance. Yeah, if you compare it to the trance of 2002, the sound is completely different. That old sound is outdated now, though like most older styles of music it maintains a huge fan base.
exitone
AG
And I guess to answer your original question, if I was going to try and see a show this year, I would like to catch Juno Reactor. They put out a pretty good album last year and have a really theatrical show they are touring with now.

Not sure if you follow Juno Reactor, but you have for sure heard some of their stuff. They did a lot of the stuff in the third Matrix I think it was...

This is one off their latest...

GCRanger
AG
I mainly listen to house and techno and their subgenres. I also like breaks, indie electronic, industrial, and ebm (not edm). Never was big into trance.

I get my weekly fix listening to BBC Radio 1 Friday night lineup, but also from Boiler Room, mixcloud, SoundCloud, pioneerdj, mixmag, etc.

Recently been listening to a lot of mixes by b.traits, black Madonna, solumun, Adam Beyer.

I'm old school. Carol Cox is still the King. I mix for fun and for the occasional block party.

Mid 90s warehouse raves were the tits.
Al Bula
AG
I listen to Groove Salad on SomaFM and SiriusXM Chill. The Diplo station too.

I think Groove Salad is a lot of older stuff though.

I don't really know what all those are classified as but most of the stuff sounds good to me.
P.C. Principal
exitone said:

And I guess to answer your original question, if I was going to try and see a show this year, I would like to catch Juno Reactor. They put out a pretty good album last year and have a really theatrical show they are touring with now.

Not sure if you follow Juno Reactor, but you have for sure heard some of their stuff. They did a lot of the stuff in the third Matrix I think it was...

This is one off their latest...

Nice. Not typically the stuff I listen to but I like it.

I'm going to see Audien in Dallas in March which I'm excited about. He has some poppy mainstream stuff that I don't like, but I love his progressive trance stuff. This track will always be my favorite one of his. It's several years old now but I keep coming back to it:

I also saw Group Therapy 250 with A&B in 2017, one of their big annual shows. Best electronic show I've ever been to. Will try to catch 350 in September, depending on where it is (rotates between cities/countries).
israeliag
AG
Make sure to check out Chicane's Sun:Sets podcast, given you enjoy Anjunadeep.

I'm pretty particular in what I like, and when I like a specific subgenre.

Some other podcasts I recommend (in order of favorite, most to least - though least I still like):
  • Heartfeldt Radio (deep house)
  • Chicane Sun:Sets (from super chill [he includes a song from a TV, film, or game soundtrack, to give you an idea of how chill] to housey)
  • Anjunadeep (chill)
  • Klingande (french/deep house) (monthly)
  • Sander Van Doorn's Identity (house)
  • Heldeep Radio (house)
  • I've stopped listening to the following, but just for posterity:
  • Tritonia (pop house [if that's a sub-genre])
  • Tiesto's Club Life (trance, house) - this started getting too hard and dubby for my enjoyment, but he changes what he features pretty closely to what's more mainstream
  • Above & Beyond Group Therapy (trance)
  • Armin van Burren's A State of Trance (trance) - this is the definitive trance podcast/show, but trance has gotten too... boring (that's too harsh, but I'm failing to find a better word) for me... or at least the trance Amrin and A&B play, and at least on a weekly basis.

Also, while we're at it RUFUS DU SOL's Underwater was easily my favorite song of 2018.

For the more adventurous EDM fans (and even indie-electronic/indie-pop fans), I couldn't recommend synthwave enough. Specifically The Midnight and FM-84.
GrayMatter
AG
P.C. Principal said:

I think it all boils down to personal preference. Anytime I listen to some modern trance track or podcast on youtube there is ALWAYS a comment about how it's not "real" trance. Yeah, if you compare it to the trance of 2002, the sound is completely different. That old sound is outdated now, though like most older styles of music it maintains a huge fan base.
Yeah that shtick gets annoying. I listen to what I listen to and don't care 2 schlitz what everybody says about it. Most of those "fans" are old dudes trying to revive the sound from the 2000's. Meh. Doesn't that happen to just about all genres?

Seems like we have similar tastes although I'm guessing you're probably more into Progressive than me. I'm more of a Trance guy: Vocal, Uplifting/Orchestral/Epic, Classic, some Psy and 140+.

In terms of Group Therapy and ASOT, they tend to push their own artists and labels. Armin probably does a better job of promoting different sounds, but he only plays what's popular. If you want to know what's popular, just listen to the end of year countdown. The fans pick the song of the year and that's what he plays on his shows. He's always in tune with what is popular, that is why he is consistently in the Top 5 of Best DJ.

I think the downfall for true Trance fans with ASOT is that he doesn't play enough of what is truly Trance. His shows are completely different though and he always does a good job of playing to the crowd.

Also, in my opinion, Trance lately has gotten watered down and everybody is producing similar type of music. After listening to it for so many years, you know when the build up and break down are coming. I'm thinking it's probably because the sound is less organic and more electronically produced which goes the same for vocals as well. I guess that's why I listen to the older stuff, a lot of it doesn't always have those elements and are typically longer productions that build over a 5-6 minutes (or even longer) instead of having a standard kick drum, followed by the build up, then a euphoric breakdown followed by another buildup and then back to the kick drum to end the song.
The conversations will be uncomfortable, but we all have to get comfortable with being uncomfortable for progress to be made.
dave99ag
AG
I'm an old now, so I'll list some of the electronic music I listened to back in the 90s / 00s. Does drum-n-bass and jungle still exist these days? I amassed quite the collection of MP3s back when FTPs and Napster were around.

DJ Shadow - Organ Donor (Entroducing is a classic)

Coldcut - 70 Minutes of Madness (Anything from Ninja Tune records is a good listen)

LTJ Bukem - Atlantis

Golide - Timeless (1995)

Roni Size / Reprazent - Brown Paper Bag

Definitely Not A Cop
AG
I'm a very casual listener; pretty much anything I listen to now has to have lyrics with it, which is where a lot of pop music basically is nowadays. Marshmello is pretty good imo.

Here is my favorite electronic song right now though.

Definitely Not A Cop
AG
I like Louis Futon too, mainly because I think this video is pretty cool.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.