***John Wick Chapter 3***

23,863 Views | 181 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Counterpoint
jackie childs
How long do you want to ignore this user?
i'm just here for the weaponizing of horses and dogs
jackie childs
cbr said:

So question - i only made it through half of the first movie. I like cool cars and gratuitous violence, but did the movies go anywhere else? All i got was 'guy really good at killing has gf die, then stooges steal his car and kill his dog, so he kills hundreds of people in cool nightclubs'

Im ok with that, but if thats all we get plot wise i may not rush to finish the series.

Pls let me know.
honestly, i find the Continental and the mystique around it one of the most intriguing aspects of the series and that ramp sup more in the 2nd one.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
What about... dogs riding horses?
jackie childs
Brian Earl Spilner said:

What about... dogs riding horses?

expresswrittenconsent
jackie childs said:

cbr said:

So question - i only made it through half of the first movie. I like cool cars and gratuitous violence, but did the movies go anywhere else? All i got was 'guy really good at killing has gf die, then stooges steal his car and kill his dog, so he kills hundreds of people in cool nightclubs'

Im ok with that, but if thats all we get plot wise i may not rush to finish the series.

Pls let me know.
honestly, i find the Continental and the mystique around it one of the most intriguing aspects of the series and that ramp sup more in the 2nd one.

See, I found the ridiculous continental plot holes to be easily the worst (and most easily fixable) parts of a bad ass series of pistol samurai fighting movies.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Huh?
GiveEmHellBill
AG
jackie childs said:

i'm just here for the weaponizing of horses and dogs

Horses had about a half dozen confirmed kills in this one.

Dogs had accounted for about two dozen serious groin injuries.
expresswrittenconsent
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Huh?

The movies are set in the "real world" criminal underworld, not some supernatural world or a super hero universe. Wick is a mob/criminal assassin. IMO, the fact that we are supposed to just accept (with no explanation) the idea of this silly chain of assassin hotels (dont get me started on the coins - a single coin has insanely different value across the same movie) takes the movie into supernatural/ superhero universe and out of "reality". I still find all of them badass and fun but because they cant seem to decide whether it exists in the real world or some other universe, I personally rank them behind something like Taken or any number of similar Denzel movies (equalizer, man on fire, etc) or even something like atomic blonde.
I'd enjoy the movies more if they either went fully "real world" or fully it's own universe.
Obviously, YMMV.
Claude!
Treat it like a comic book or a Bond movie. It's set in the real world, but only for a given value of real.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I'm not understanding though. What part of the hotels is supernatural?

It's just a hotel with a rule about no killing.

I can see the complaints with the bulletproof suits, etc. But that's just the kind of heightened reality this universe exists in.

Oh, and the director has explained the coins. They have no fixed monetary value, they're more like passes that allow entry in the hotel, or for other services. It's just a way to show you're part of the club.
G Martin 87
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I'm not understanding though. What part of the hotels is supernatural?

It's just a hotel with a rule about no killing.

I can see the complaints with the bulletproof suits, etc. But that's just the kind of heightened reality this universe exists in.

Oh, and the director has explained the coins. They have no fixed monetary value, they're more like passes that allow entry in the hotel, or for other services. It's just a way to show you're part of the club.
There are some services that cost multiple coins (like body disposal), but generally it seems like most things are worth a single coin. Also notice that contracts are set in "dollars", not coins.
expresswrittenconsent
Claude! said:

Treat it like a comic book or a Bond movie. It's set in the real world, but only for a given value of real.

That's probably a pretty good comparison. I never cared for comic books and my love of bond films reached its zenith probably about age 13.
Post removed:
by user
PlanoAggie
AG
I loved the horse kicks! I always enjoy animals "kicking" the bad guys arses.
Post removed:
by user
Azariah
AG
third coast.. said:

they looked fake AF and what is he, a horse whisperer? he barely patted one and it kicked.

Actually, yes. The director, the stuntman from the Matrix, sat down with Reeves before they began shooting 3 and listed everything he was good at. Horses were one of them.
Post removed:
by user
expresswrittenconsent
Is there a thread/discussion for the Starz show based on the JW universe? The Continental
TyHolden
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

Is there a thread/discussion for the Starz show based on the JW universe? The Continental
is this out? Is neo in it?
fig96
AG

Don't think there is yet as I don't think there's been much info? If you've got some go for it.
jackie childs
fig96 said:

Don't think there is yet as I don't think there's been much info? If you've got some go for it.
yeah, i'll be very interested to see what direction they go with it.

do they feature the NY location or another one? does it take place before the events of JW or concurrently?

bmks270
AG
Finally saw this movie.... it could have easily been cut 20-30 minutes shorter and been just as good.

The scene with the dogs and with the two Asian guys and their boss began to feel excessively long.

Other than that I really enjoy the John Wick films. I remember renting the first, and loving it. It was released with little advertising or fanfare.

Then John wick 2 had some ads and I saw it in theaters it was packed. Seems people really kicked the first film and showed up for the second.... and now the third.

It's now set up for number 4.
Broba Fett
Will be interesting to see Neo and Morpheus team up to take down the machines again...oh wait...

Actually, I'm hoping one day we get to see John's backstory before he got out.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Broke $250M worldwide.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
This is officially the year of Keanu.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Just passed both Shazam and Pikachu at the domestic box office!
jackie childs

heard that McShane is not going to appear in The Continental, but may do some voiceover work.

i'm not sure how you feature the NY Continental without Winston, unless it's a flashback type story where he narrates some of it and they cast a younger actor as Winston.

so i wonder if maybe the initial series will be set primarily in one of the other locations?
fig96
AG
Really great Twitter thread from an ILM VFX supervisor talking about the film, and turns out a buddy of mine from A&M was actually a VFX supe on the film. I pop up later in the thread

https://twitter.com/i/moments/1139356700475969536
fig96
AG
So John Wick 3 is now out on digital, and the featurette where they show how they trained the dogs is absolutely fascinating. The same trainer that trains the direwolves for GoT raised several dogs (both stunt dogs and "acting" dogs) specifically for this film. Because they shoot so wide they couldn't have the regular trainers in some of the shots, so Halle Berry was actually the on camera trainer for the dogs and worked with them for months.

Found this article that shows a video with a bit of it, if the full featurette pops up online I'll post it. Lots of other cool BTS stuff on the release as well.

https://ew.com/movies/2019/08/23/john-wick-3-halle-berry-dogs-clip/
YouBet
AG
Awesome film!

That knives / hatchet scene was something else.
MW03
AG
Best $20 I ever spent on Google Movies
fig96
AG
Some behind the scenes with the invisible VFX in the film, incredible stuff. Check the video in the article:

Trident 88
AG
I didn't like this one as much as the others, especially the 1st movie.

Different stunt director? don't think the fighting was nearly as well executed this time.

And, I'm down for one horse kick, but two? GTFO. The same goes for people getting kicked through glass. Overdone would be an understatement.

Still enjoyed it though.
MW03
AG
I think it's 2, 1, 3, but they're all still so very good. 3 exhausted me, though. I don't know if it had more action than 2 or less, or if the sequences themselves were just longer, but man I was ready about 2/3 of the way through for John to cozy up with a rifle on a ledge somewhere just to give me a break.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.