***John Wick Chapter 3***

23,859 Views | 181 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Counterpoint
Bruce Almighty
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
You'll have to excuse those posters, they're dead tired.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
John killing Boban by book was so fing cool
John Matrix
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

You'll have to excuse those posters, they're dead tired.
Perhaps it's because those posters ate green berets for breakfast.
FTA03
AG
Your misspelled Predator
G Martin 87
AG
They just need to blow off some steam.
JB!98
AG
Watched it tonight and I actually thought it was really good. I enjoyed the pace of the 1st one more than the other 2, but also appreciate them for the sheer violence and energy.

I never watched Kung Fu movies. Was the disappearing and general strangeness of the fight with the Oriental guys a nod to Kung Fu movies?

Also, does anyone think that the ending was staged by the principals to allow for an all out war in the next one?
Madmarttigan
AG
John Matrix said:

What's funny is my username has absolutely nothing to do with Keanu Reeves, Johm Wick, or the Matrix. John Matrix is the name of Schwarzenegger's character in the greatest film ever made-Commando.

I knew exactly who you were referring to I just thought your username was perfect for your commentary on awesome action. Commando is one of the greatest action flicks of all time.
cbr
AG
So question - i only made it through half of the first movie. I like cool cars and gratuitous violence, but did the movies go anywhere else? All i got was 'guy really good at killing has gf die, then stooges steal his car and kill his dog, so he kills hundreds of people in cool nightclubs'

Im ok with that, but if thats all we get plot wise i may not rush to finish the series.

Pls let me know.
cbr
AG
tv1113 said:

John Matrix said:

What's funny is my username has absolutely nothing to do with Keanu Reeves, Johm Wick, or the Matrix. John Matrix is the name of Schwarzenegger's character in the greatest film ever made-Commando.

I knew exactly who you were referring to I just thought your username was perfect for your commentary on awesome action. Commando is one of the greatest action flicks of all time.
Oh, lol, commando, where thousands of total idiots rush out from cover for no reason into endless streams of full auto fire from arnold?

That is one of the worst arnold movies ever, and one of the worst action movies ever made. If john wick series aspires to that crap then my question is answered.
G Martin 87
AG
cbr said:

So question - i only made it through half of the first movie. I like cool cars and gratuitous violence, but did the movies go anywhere else? All i got was 'guy really good at killing has gf die, then stooges steal his car and kill his dog, so he kills hundreds of people in cool nightclubs'

Im ok with that, but if thats all we get plot wise i may not rush to finish the series.

Pls let me know.
There's a little more to it than that. The first movie introduces the Continental and the "rules" that govern the crime underworld. The 2nd and 3rd movies expand on those rules, the crime underworld, and John's backstory greatly. It's not MI or Bourne or even Bond level in terms of plot complexity, just fun as hell with fantastic fight choreography and great stunts.
G Martin 87
AG
cbr said:

tv1113 said:

John Matrix said:

Oh, lol, commando, where thousands of total idiots rush out from cover for no reason into endless streams of full auto fire from arnold?

That is one of the worst arnold movies ever, and one of the worst action movies ever made. If john wick series aspires to that crap then my question is answered.
You're being way too hard on Commando. It's an early example of the action movie genre, so it shouldn't be judged against today's action blockbusters.

Besides, the worst Arnold movie ever is Raw Deal. "You should not drink and bake." Just horrible all around. Commando is The Godfather by comparison.
Carlo4
AG
John Matrix said:

I sense some passive aggressive anger in you. Sounds like you need to blow off some steam.
cbr
AG
G Martin 87 said:

cbr said:

Pls let me know.
There's a little more to it than that. The first movie introduces the Continental and the "rules" that govern the crime underworld. The 2nd and 3rd movies expand on those rules, the crime underworld, and John's backstory greatly. It's not MI or Bourne or even Bond level in terms of plot complexity, just fun as hell with fantastic fight choreography and great stunts.

Thank you! That sounds better and I know lots of people like the series so I'll check it out. Probly without the wifey.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Anyone notice during the Continental fight, they went into that pool / bathhouse from the first movie? (Or it looked very damn similar.)

If it was the same one, makes me wonder how they were able to fight there since it was on Continental grounds.

Otherwise, a neat nod to the first movie.
TyHolden
AG
I have not seen this yet but I'm already giving it Best Picture nomination.
G Martin 87
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Anyone notice during the Continental fight, they went into that pool / bathhouse from the first movie? (Or it looked very damn similar.)

If it was the same one, makes me wonder how they were able to fight there since it was on Continental grounds.

It wasn't the same pool. The bathhouse in JW1 was at a club called "Red Circle". (Nice pun, that.)
cr0wbar
AG
Best movie of the year. What else can you really ask for? Superb entertainment
Azariah
AG
Just got back from it with the wife. We watched 1 and 2 in the past few days to get ready. Easily my favorite action movie of all time. Rewatchability and quotability will determine whether it's my favorite movie of all time.

Ong Bak, The Matrix, and Pulp Fiction all rolled into one.
Azariah
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I thought about that, but yeah, that was the Red Circle.
Dro07
AG
Liked it! Wonder how many chapters this book has
cbr
AG
Azariah said:

Just got back from it with the wife. We watched 1 and 2 in the past few days to get ready. Easily my favorite action movie of all time. Rewatchability and quotability will determine whether it's my favorite movie of all time.

Ong Bak, The Matrix, and Pulp Fiction all rolled into one.
Wow. High praise. Will have to check it out.
fig96
AG
Went this afternoon and this one lives up to the hype. I still prefer the first because the story is SO well told and had some fantastic world building, but this was a fantastic sequel.

They seriously amped up the brutality in this one, had several cringe moments along the way. The opening scene in the library was awesome and the Raid guys were great. Really awesome overall.

Also: "I get it."
expresswrittenconsent
Fun. Better than 2. First 30 min were pretty incredible. Ending was a total copout.
TyHolden
AG
until neo meets jw...
Bunk Moreland
expresswrittenconsent said:

Fun. Better than 2. First 30 min were pretty incredible. Ending was a total copout.

Agree completely with this. First act set up to be the greatest action movie ever made if they did what Brian Earl speculated (correctly) what the 4th installment would be about. They should have just kept building on what they were doing early and had that ultimate battle in this movie.

B+. Lots of fun.
Bunk Moreland
Brian Earl Spilner said:

And question:
Winston had to have shot him non-fatally and hoped he survived the fall, right? Don't want to believe he betrayed him at the end.

I think he absolutely knew. John's suit is bullet proof. Winston knows that.
aggiepaintrain
AG
I give it a B.
LF was great
AggieDPT
AG
Chapter 4 coming out in 2021
Dro07
AG
Do we know when the Starz series starts?
GiveEmHellBill
AG
John Wick Chapter 4......two years from tomorrow.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Prepare for war.

Fbuckie
Loved the movie. Just wish it had been playing in XD at Cinemark. The Premiere IMAX has terrible seating comfort, and the screen had a big stain just right of center.
Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
Finally had a chance to see it, had been dying to and was avoiding this thread the last few weeks.

It was entertaining and fun but I think every movie so far has been a step down from the previous (JW1>2>3). I wish they would've concluded it in this one, I don't think more movies betters the franchise. Worried they're gonna go the Fast and the Furious route just to a lesser degree.

Overall it was fun and I don't regret seeing it, but seems like the franchise has moved past me. If the 4th doesn't bring it all together I probably won't see it in theaters. Not trying to be overly negative and I'm glad it seems like everyone else has loved it.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
$30M+ for the holiday weekend.
ja86
AG
finally caught it today, fun movie. Like how the series is going.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.