Christopher McQuarrie set for back-to-back MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE sequels

45,700 Views | 496 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by TCTTS
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Big news. In recent months it sounded as if McQuarrie was likely coming back for M:I7 at some point, but I don't think anyone saw him doing TWO more, back-to-back sequels, especially this soon (after already writing/directing the past two M:I movies, released in 2015 and 2018, respectively). He must have a hell of an idea for what I'm guessing *might* be Cruise's final two appearances in the role, set for summer 2021 and summer 2022. All I know is that Fallout was one of the best action movies of all time, and I can't wait to see how McQuarrie follows it up, and what he does with this kind of unique, two-part format. Paramount is no doubt going to let him swing for the fences with this one (as if he didn't the last go-around)...

TCTTS
AG
Fenrir
TCTTS said:

This makes me excited and sad at the same time.
TCTTS
AG
Hello there
Stratosphere dive.
Phat32
AG
Crashing a jet ski launched off of a dinosaur onto a nuke and defusing before it lands
israeliag
AG
TCTTS said:

Missing Impossible:End Game actually does sound like a great title for the last Tom Cruise MI film - much better than Avengers: End Game.
FL_Ag1998
AG
I had fun watching this movie, but I see such superlatives like, "one of the best action movies of all time," and I just feel like maybe I missed something.
TCTTS
AG
For me, it's true. I've never seen any movie attempt what Fallout accomplished - via Cruise - in terms of practical action/stunts. That, and it was a hell of a ride in terms of story. I loved every minute of it.
schmendeler
AG
I'm totally on board. That said, I hope Tom Cruise doesn't die. For real.
LHIOB
AG
Simon Pegg can carry the torch!
GreasenUSA
AG
Fallout is firmly my choice for my favorite action movie of all time. I trust that they will take these last two in a good direction. Probably impossible to top Fallout, but I'm just happy these guys are making them.
Phat32
AG
schmendeler said:

At this pace he'll still be acting when he's 105.
Phat32
AG
TCTTS said:

For me, it's true. I've never seen any movie attempt what Fallout accomplished - via Cruise - in terms of practical action/stunts. That, and it was a hell of a ride in terms of story. I loved every minute of it.
When I found out that he had done all of those stunts, I was absolutely blown away.
The Collective
AG
schmendeler said:

I think I read it here - eventually he is riding on the outside of a rocket headed to the upper atmosphere at least, right? There isn't much left for him to try.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
yukmonkey said:

schmendeler said:

At this pace he'll still be acting when he's 105.
He will be 60 when the last M:I movie comes out in 2022.

So, here's the Tom Cruise Summer Movie Schedule:

2020 - Top Gun: Maverick

2021 - Mission:Impossible VII

2022 - Mission:Impossible VIII

[edit]2023 - His job on Earth finished, he ascends into space and joins L Ron Hubbard at the right hand of Xenu for the next million years.
Aggies76
AG
I thought McQuarrie said he would rather have leprosy than to try to top Fallout. Glad he changed his mind.
FancyKetchup14
AG
TCTTS
AG
Or he got leprosy, then just said, "**** it."
DTP02
AG
schmendeler said:

IMO it's quite likely that they're going to have to deal with significant filming delays due to his body not being able to hold up. He just won't be able to do some of the stuff I'm sure they will want to do.
DTP02
AG
FL_Ag1998 said:

I had fun watching this movie, but I see such superlatives like, "one of the best action movies of all time," and I just feel like maybe I missed something.

It's tough for me to think of one that's better just from pure intense, nerve-inducing, well-filmed action. The fact that you know it's the lead actually doing the stunts himself really adds to it. It's easily right up in the top tier of action movies ever made IMO.
schmendeler
AG
I think I need to re-watch this this weekend.
redd38
AG
It's my understanding that they're just going to do Fallout again, but this time inverted.
nosoupforyou
AG
i am thrilled to see this! and glad he is doing them now because he can't do these types of films for much longer... not sure how they can top Fallout but I know they will try!!!

thanks for starting this OP
Mike Elko
AG
Watched Fallout last night. Not bad... Not bad at all.
John Matrix
AG
Rewatched Fallout a week ago, and it only gets better. I don't now if I'd necessarily call it a classic, but it's damn solid. When I saw it in theaters, I was strictly on the "liked it, but didn't love it" category, but there s lot more under the hood here in terms of story than I initially thought. The whole plot is a moral challenge to Ethan Hunt's character.

I'm also listening to Christopher Mcquarrie's epic Empire podcast, which is fascinating in its detail. Dude basically created this great blockbuster on the fly with like a 13 page script and a vague story direction. The fact that this movie is not only competent, but pretty spectacular is a testament to how good a filmmaker Mcquarrie actually is. Sing me up for the next two.
Engine10
AG
No brainer. Except he'll be jumping down to Mars.

israeliag
AG
John Matrix said:

I'm also listening to Christopher Mcquarrie's epic Empire podcast, which is fascinating in its detail. Dude basically created this great blockbuster on the fly with like a 13 page script and a vague story direction. The fact that this movie is not only competent, but pretty spectacular is a testament to how good a filmmaker Mcquarrie actually is. Sing me up for the next two.
Agreed. And I'm kind of conflicted about him signing up for two more Missions Impossible. Yes, he's proven that through this franchise he can make some of the most compelling action, interweaving the story to the dynamics of the action without sacrificing and spectacle, like no other. On the other hand, I'd love to see him do something new, but now he's locked for, what, the next four or five years? Heck even adapting something else: think of him with a Dune (though Villenvue is perfect for that), a war film, or even a Solo sequel. Hell, with Disney rebooting all of its animated films into live(ish)-action, imagine what he'd do with a Sword in the Stone, or Wall-E reboot (just examples, not really advocating for those).
TCTTS
AG
schmendeler
AG
I rewatched it last weekend. I think I liked it better the second time having a better idea of everything that was going on. The first time I would be thinking about the last crazy thing that had happened and wouldn't be listening to them explaining what was going on in the plot.
nosoupforyou
AG
TCTTS said:

Unreal!! Can't wait
TCTTS
AG
Summer 2021 so far...

05.07 - Untitled Marvel Film
05.28 - Untitled Disney Live Action Film
06.11 - Untitled Jurassic World 3
06.25 - The Batman
07.09 - Untitled Indiana Jones 5
07.23 - Untitled Mission: Impossible 7
08.06 - The Suicide Squad

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.