Rumors of a Van Halen tour in 2019 with the original lineup

7,325 Views | 70 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Matt_ag98
Know Your Enemy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Report: Van Halen rumored to tour in 2019 with classic lineup, including Michael Anthony

I'm skeptical but hopeful. The reason Eddie agreed to start touring again with Roth is because Wolfgang wanted to do it. Not sure why he would now step aside and let Mike back where he belongs.
Duncan Idaho
Why did you misspell "only" as "original"?
aTm2004
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

Sammy Hagar?
Duncan Idaho
aTm2004 said:

Duncan Idaho said:

Sammy Hagar?

Are you talking about that lame ass cover band ?
aTm2004
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

aTm2004 said:

Duncan Idaho said:

Sammy Hagar?

Hey, Right Now it's an awesome song!
KidDoc
AG
I love both Van Halen versions (yes I'm ignoring the third singer) but I am a much bigger Sammy fan compared to Dave these days. I just don't think Dave can play those songs.

We saw Hagar's Circle a year ago and they were great.

That being said if this happens I will go!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

aTm2004 said:

Duncan Idaho said:

Sammy Hagar?

Van Halen was a better band with Hagar. If you didn't like that version, blame Eddie. He still wrote all the music.
beanbean
Original Van Halen is one of my favorite bands ever, but isn't David Lee Roth pretty horrible live these days? Mostly talking the lyrics instead of singing? I can't stand that.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Why not both singers?

Know Your Enemy
AG
MookieBlaylock said:

Why not both singers?

Sammy has suggested that numerous times.
superunknown
AG
Junkhead said:

MookieBlaylock said:

Why not both singers?

Gary Cherone shows up and gets arrested for masturbating outside the show
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
YouBet
AG
No way DLR can hit those notes anymore. Would rather see Hagar as shocked as I am to say that.
Stupe
S
They were way better live with Hagar.

Wasn't even close.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Ain't Talkin Bout Love
expresswrittenconsent
superunknown said:

Junkhead said:

MookieBlaylock said:

Why not both singers?

Gary Cherone shows up and gets arrested for masturbating outside the show

but if you only knew
How eeeeeeeasy it would be to shooooow me how you feel
More than words is all you have to do to make it real
Then you wouldn't have to say that you love me
'Cause I'd already know
digging tunnels
AG
Saw VH with DLR on their last tour a few years ago while they promoted their new album. Roth sounded terrible and did a lot of talk singing. But the music was still great.

Hagar can still sing well
FTACO97
AG
Wow, this may literally be the first time I've seen Van Halen discussed online where the consensus seems to be a preference for Hagar (which i'm in agreement).
digging tunnels
AG
Mikey squashes the rumors

http://loudwire.com/michael-anthony-squashes-van-halen-reunion-rumors/
Know Your Enemy
AG
Who's to say his manager hasn't talked to VH's manager behind the scenes? That way he can make that statement truthfully but the story still be true.
Rudyjax
AG
I like both equally.

A tour with both would be great.
Future
Saw VH's "Different Kind of Truth" show in SA before Roth flaked out and finished the tour. Roth spoke the lyrics half the time and was barely able to sing.

I sware Eddie changed the key in a couple of songs to keep Roth in tune.

I'd like to see what kind of album they can put together in the studio before I lay down change to see them again.

chipotle
Is the stage wheel chair accessible?
SlackerAg
AG
C@LAg said:

the break a hip tour.
Fiber Eruption Tour
Garrelli 5000
AG
Color me a Hagar fan. I still listen to For Unlawful on a regular basis. My main guitar is a Music-Man Axis, which is modeled after EVH's Music-Man signature model. That's what was on the radio when I started playing in the early 90's.

Gary is actually a fantastic singer, but just wasn't a good fit for VH. He's theatrical like Roth (which is annoying).
Take the trash out staff.
Aust Ag
AG
digging tunnels said:

Mikey squashes the rumors

http://loudwire.com/michael-anthony-squashes-van-halen-reunion-rumors/
He knows that if he speaks out of line it could blow the whole thing up.

Anyway, I'm not sure if there's going to be an actual tour. If anything, I see them playing a Woodstock 50th Anniversary show next year. And that's it.
Joe Exotic
AG
I can't believe that Hagar is 71 years old. He probably drives 55 in the left lane now on the way to Lubys at 5pm.
aTm2004
AG
Bo Darville said:

I can't believe that Hagar is 71 years old. He probably drives 55 in the left lane now on the way to Lubys at 5pm.
Uhh...dude drives a La Ferrari.

KidDoc
AG
Sammy is somehow in amazingly good shape.

Good genes I guess because I seriously doubt it is clean living!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
FNG
KidDoc said:

Sammy is somehow in amazingly good shape.

Good genes I guess because I seriously doubt it is clean living!
Doc, he uses his own brand of liquor to kill bacteria and viruses in his body.
FNG
DLR was talking/singing lyrics back when I first saw them on the Diver Down tour in '82. My guess is that it's a combination of his vocal chords needing a break from the screams he does and him just being somewhat "off" in the head. He's an odd dude.

Someone posted a link to a video from '82 at a concert they did in Maryland. He was doing the talking/singing in that video. He did more high notes and yells and yelps than I remembered, but he did a decent amount of talking.

He also pulled the same "Oh, I forgot the words" during "Romeo Delight" that he pulled when they opened with that at the US Festival. I think a lot of the "we party like crazy and slam entire bottles of JD on stage" was always an act. No way is Mike Anthony drinking that much Jack and continuing to play and sing the way he did. They probably had iced tea in the bottle.
aggiedata
AG
The more I know about Sammy, the more I like him. I enjoyed his interview with Rather. He is more of an professional than the other messed up VH members.

His story of Eddie trying break the window out of their rented GS at 35,000 feet with a champagne bottle are telling. Mass dysfunctional VH leadership.

Watching him play at his bar on his birthday and seeing Michael Anthony there with him shows he is a good guy to me.
aggiedata
AG
FNG said:

DLR was talking/singing lyrics back when I first saw them on the Diver Down tour in '82. My guess is that it's a combination of his vocal chords needing a break from the screams he does and him just being somewhat "off" in the head. He's an odd dude.

Someone posted a link to a video from '82 at a concert they did in Maryland. He was doing the talking/singing in that video. He did more high notes and yells and yelps than I remembered, but he did a decent amount of talking.

He also pulled the same "Oh, I forgot the words" during "Romeo Delight" that he pulled when they opened with that at the US Festival. I think a lot of the "we party like crazy and slam entire bottles of JD on stage" was always an act. No way is Mike Anthony drinking that much Jack and continuing to play and sing the way he did. They probably had iced tea in the bottle.

Where did you see them? I saw them at the Houston Summit in 82. After the Fire opened I think.
Know Your Enemy
AG
I've had the opportunity to meet every VH member except Dave (and Wolfgang). Mike & Sammy were both super cool and made you feel like an old friend they hadn't seen in forever.
FNG
Summit. We missed After The Fire because we were in the garage buying tickets from a scalper. The only scalper we could find. He had a crowd around him.

My brother was able to get inside the crowd and talk the guy down from $45/ticket to $30/ticket and get out of there before the guy realized he screwed up. Total Jedi Mind Trick action.

Face was $15.

Seats were 9th row floor. We walked on seats up to the 5th row. Stood the entire show on the seats after the crowd rushed the stage. The ushers didn't freak out back then.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.