*** GREEN BOOK ***

3,798 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by TyHolden
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Been working my butt off, trying to finish a script here in the next few weeks, so I haven't been able to see everything I've wanted to see as of late, but I did make it a point to see Green Book late last night, and it was definitely worth it. Top five of the year for me so far, no question - maybe even top three - and I'd say that, as of now, it's between this and A Star Is Born for Best Picture (though we've still got a bit to go).

Green Book is a little cookie cutter, but it's so well done that it doesn't matter. For what it's aiming to be, it's absolutely perfect. Viggo Mortensen gives a fantastic and often hilarious performance, to the point where he'll almost assuredly be nominated for Best Actor. Mahershala Ali is great too, and the chemistry between them is phenomenal, but Mortensen is definitely the stand out. Overall, it's not too heavy - or as heavy as something like this could be - with just right balance of drama, laughs, heartbreak, and heartwarming moments. It's one of those scripts where not a single line or moment is wasted, with call backs abound, and just so admiringly effective and economical in that sense.

Green Book came out in limited release this weekend, but goes wide on Wednesday (the 21st), and it's the absolute perfect film to see over the holiday with the family. I can't imagine anyone not enjoying this.

MookieBlaylock
AG
Meh looks like a reverse driving Miss Daisy

Hard Pass
Duncan Idaho
So does it actually get into the history/significance of the Green Book? Or does it just borrow the name?
TCTTS
AG
It doesn't really get into the "history" of it, nor does it "just borrow the name" either (I don't really know that means). It's simply part of the plot. Ali's character can only stay at certain designated spots in the south and that lends to much of the drama in the movie.
Duncan Idaho
By borrowed, I meant they used the name of a book to make a movie that had little to do with the source material. Basically, I was curious if the movie explained what it was and showed how important the green book was for blacks traveling the country in the Jim crow era or if some one just thought it was a catchy title for a movie.

Like someone said in the thread, based off the trailer I thought it was a reversed driving miss Daisy.

Mr. White
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/amp/race/viggo-mortensen-says-sorry-using-n-word-q-a-1159813?__twitter_impression=true
TCTTS
AG
pimplepopper
AG
Would love to take my kids to see this. For anyone that's seen it, any issues with a 9 and 13-year-old going to it? Thanks in advance.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Boo Weekley
Looks like a well made movie, but I am just worn out on the "guilt trips" disguised as entertainment these days. Hopefully this is a little different.
TCTTS
AG
There's a decent amount of racist language, but other than that it's pretty tame.
TCTTS
AG
The only people who could possibly view this movie as a "guilt trip" are those with a guilty conscience. It's an incredibly well-done movie, one where both men are ultimately changed for the better, both men come to realize their flaws, etc. Is it a little heavy-handed and does it dabble in stereotypes here and there? Sure. But that's also kind of the point.
pimplepopper
AG
Thanks!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Carlo4
AG
Mr. White said:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/amp/race/viggo-mortensen-says-sorry-using-n-word-q-a-1159813?__twitter_impression=true

The Oscars have blackballed him from any nomination over this...

All about context.
Mr. White
And the co-star is upset about him using the word. He is literally telling Viggo he's not allowed to say a word. Lame.
rononeill
What nonsense. Feels like something between Southpark and Twilight Zone.
agracer
AG
pimplepopper said:

Would love to take my kids to see this. For anyone that's seen it, any issues with a 9 and 13-year-old going to it? Thanks in advance.
Saw the movie last weekend and it is very well done.

Your 9 and 13 yr old will likely not understand some of the racist elements (or not notice them as they're too young to have any memories or stories from older family members that would relate). Their is also a scene in a YMCA that they might not grasp or cause some questions from the 13yr old about what was going on (not explicit, but the adults watching know what happened).

Other than that, it's a great film. It's very well done. Their is no SJW element (at least to me) at all. It presents things as they were in the south in the 60's and both characters come to appreciate each other's character.
Jim01
AG
Saw this this week and enjoyed it. TCTTS is spot on that it is very cookie cutter but somehow pulls it off and is enjoyable.

One thing though, the shots of Ali playing piano seemed really fake and odd looking to me. Like his frankensteined head CGIed very choppy onto a stunt players body. It just very much stood out and look weird when they'd show the shots of him playing.

Overall it deserves the nominations it got but it's not quite original enough to get my vote for the big prize.
MBAR
AG
I saw this this past weekend and I thought it was a good movie and I thought Viggo was great but I was pretty underwhelmed. Nothing about the story was really all that moving for me. The scene in the rain didn't really have an impact for me and it was obvious they wanted it to be really moving.

Txmoe
AG
Seems to be some sort of backlash against this movie by Woke Hollywood. I don't care enough to find out why but it seems to have something to do with Driving Miss Daisy winning the Oscar over Do the Right Thing several years ago.

I think sanctimonious and judgmental Hollywood is my least favorite Hollywood of them all.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The KFC scene was great.

Also, Viggo can play any ethnicity.
jr15aggie
AG
What a fantastic movie! Viggo and his Co star were incredible. Watched with my wife and 2 daughters (15 and 12) and we all got a lot of laughs and feels from it.

It's been as long time since I've seen a movie like this. It reminds me of Forrest Gump in the way that even though there is some drama, it's just such a joy to watch.
Urban Ag
AG
Had a flight from Austin to SFO last week for a HS graduation. Alaska Airlines has free movie players on their newer planes. Watched a documentary first and then was looking at the movie selection and gave Green Book a try.

I will say this. I got to the halfway point right when we landed and I did not want to turn this off. It was so good, IMO, that I was literally excited to get back on a plane yesterday to go home and catch the second half. I absolutely loved this film.

I thought the whole cast was outstanding but Viggo Mortensen put on the performance of his career. Yes, it is heavy handed and stereotyped, as TCCTS pointed out, but also as he pointed out, that was kind of the point. The story of two good, yet flawed, men, that find common ground at a time when the country was changing for the better.

And it is also one of the most genuinely funny movies I have seen in some time. Which I really thought was brilliant when you think about it. It took a vary serious subject, treated it very seriously, but also injected genuine, well delivered, humor. Outstanding.
TyHolden
AG
Just got around to watching this. Outstanding movie! Viggo was awesome.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.