***Outlaw King***

5,120 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by brew82
Definitely Not A Cop
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
On Netflix. Follows Robert The Bruce after William Wallace. Starring Chris Pine. Kind of a slow burn, but it has some intense action scenes. Really liking it.

MookieBlaylock
AG
Hear about this before Braveheart came out

F Hugh Redstone
Gigem314
AG
Saw the previews a while back. Looking forward to seeing it.
OregonAggie
AG
Just finished it and it's pretty good. A little slow going at times but I wasn't ever bored. As mentioned, the fighting scenes are really good.
PatAg
AG
There is a book called Scottish Chiefs that is a much better story than this or Braveheart, and I believe is more grounded in the actual history of the story than Braveheart was. Would love to see it in a movie or short series TV run
YouBet
AG
Was really perplexed and confused as I read last response. Then I looked at the posters name...oh.
FightinTexasAg15
AG
I enjoyed it. As stated it is a little "slow", but its a entertaining movie. I love the Scottish history and this has some good battle sequences. Fun watch
Jim01
AG
It's on my list but not dying to get to it. This tweet did crack me up this morning though.

Pignorant
AG
Watched on Friday and I really liked it. I can't believe a Netflix film had a $120MM budget!

It was fairly violent though.
TCTTS
AG
Not to get too off subject, but I just heard from a friend in-the-know that Six Underground, the new Ryan Reynolds/Michael Bay Netflix movie that's currently filming, has a budget well over that. And that of that budget, Reynolds is making $30 MILLION, while Bay is getting $25M, so $55M is going to just those two alone. Netflix is spending INSANE amounts of money, and I just don't get how that model is sustainable.
AgGrad99
AG
Pignorant said:

Watched on Friday and I really liked it. I can't be a Netflix film had a $120MM budget!
I thought you were joking. Geez that's a lot of money for a movie released on Netflix...
schmendeler
AG
it's strange because it's not like they have to do it to get a good subscriber base. just about everyone has Netflix already. maybe they are really worried about losing their Disney content and are trying to become a giant in their own right for content?
TCTTS
AG
I think that's a huge part of it for sure.
AgGrad99
AG
but you'd think they'd need quantity and quality. Blowing nearly half a billion on 2-3 movies at a time doesnt seem like the best way to go about that.

But then again, what do i know.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Yeah, I think they see Disney ruining video streaming as a conglomerate of different networks being hosted by one company, like Netflix or Hulu, so they are trying to basically become modern day movie/tv channel.
Vernada
AG
Maybe TCTTS can address this:

How much of that budget is actually Netflix cash? Vs PE / other investor cash?
TCTTS
AG
That's a good question, and I honestly don't know.
Sex Panther
AG
TCTTS said:

And that of that budget, Reynolds is making $30 MILLION, while Bay is getting $25M, so $55M is going to just those two alone.

That's insane... I like Reynolds as much as the next guy, but other than Deadpool, he has more bombs to his name than Bin Laden. I don't know why they think he's worth that kind of money.
**** THE RANGERS

**** GARCIA

ALTUVE IS GOD
Max Power
AG
I watched it this weekend, it was decent, didn't feel like a $120MM movie though. I feel for that amount of money it's probably more worthwhile to invest in original tv shows vs a movie. Developing original content is smart, it's the main thing keeping channels like HBO and Showtime around. And there is great original programming available on Netflix, Amazon, and Hulu.

Given what succeeds at the movies these days I've felt there's definitely a niche for a place like Netflix to produce original movies at reasonable budgets. You could definitely see some pet projects by directors find a home at Netflix that never make it to the big screen. I don't see the need to spend that kind of budget on an original movie. I thought Bright was fun, but had to be expensive with Will Smith. Mute wasn't great, but looked like it cost some money. I really think if they were making original movies with smaller budgets it would be a bigger deal with higher potential returns.
TCTTS
AG
I said basically the same thing. My buddy asked me to guess how much Reynolds is making on it, and I started at $500K "because it's Netflix" and I figured it'd be done on the cheap. Turns out, it's the exact opposite. I got all the way to $20M, since anything else seemed absurd, and then he finally told me the $30M fee, Bay's fee. etc. He said Netflix desperately wants huge action blockbusters, apparently.
PatAg
AG
YouBet said:

Was really perplexed and confused as I read last response. Then I looked at the posters name...oh.
Just was saying there was a good story out there for those who are interested after seeing this movie. I'm a fan of Chris Pine's work, and I'll watch this at some point.

I actually liked the last few bigger budget releases Netflix has put out.
AgGrad99
AG
I started it last night. Really like it so far. My only complaint is that they fly through the back story realllly fast in the first 30 minutes. If you dont know some of the history, it'd be easy to get confused or feel like you missed something.

I'm a sucker for historical period pieces like this though...
bam02
AG
Looking forward to seeing it. Only know Pine from Hell or High Water but he was great in that.
YouBet
AG
PatAg said:

YouBet said:

Just was saying there was a good story out there for those who are interested after seeing this movie. I'm a fan of Chris Pine's work, and I'll watch this at some point.

I actually liked the last few bigger budget releases Netflix has put out.

When I posted that there was a Redstone submission right above mine. His post is gone now (I assume for trolling but I didn't flag it), so it wasn't actually directed at you.
V8Aggie
AG
so did he get his daughter back??
PatAg
AG
Ahh..good ol Redstone
Civen
AG
Since Braveheart basically sets the bar for comparison... How does this measure? Actually worth watching, or terrible imitation that can't live up.
AgGrad99
AG
V8Aggie said:

yes he did.

When he met his wife on the beach at the end, her first question was 'where's Margaret', and he replied, 'she's waiting to meet you'
V8Aggie
AG
AgGrad99 said:

V8Aggie said:

yes he did.

When he met his wife on the beach at the end, her first question was 'where's Margaret', and he replied, 'she's waiting to meet you'
Didn't catch that. Thanks!
AgGrad99
AG
I wouldn't have either, but read your question before I finished it last night.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Civen said:

Since Braveheart basically sets the bar for comparison... How does this measure? Actually worth watching, or terrible imitation that can't live up.

It's more "realistic" I would say than Braveheart. I think the action sequences are better too. But Braveheart is the better story hands down. I would still recommend watching though. It's a great Netflix movie.
Texaggie7nine
Liked it. Im still not getting used to all these movies doing high framerates. Just looks too real.
7nine
M.C. Swag
AG
Champ Bailey said:

Civen said:

It's more "realistic" I would say than Braveheart. I think the action sequences are better too. But Braveheart is the better story hands down. I would still recommend watching though. It's a great Netflix movie.

Lol Braveheart is a better story because it's more fiction than fact.

Thought outlaw king was good.
schmendeler
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

Liked it. Im still not getting used to all these movies doing high framerates. Just looks too real.
there's a good chance you can change that in the settings for your tv.
schmendeler
AG
I enjoyed it. probably the best Netflix movie I've watched.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.