Finally saw Passengers

2,638 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Zombie Jon Snow
wessimo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Can somebody please bump or link the Passengers thread? I remember there being some debate over the ending but I didn't read the spoilers so I wanted to revisit the thread now that Ive seen it.

bearamedic99
AG
i keep debating watching this. Was it enjoyable or worth your time?
wessimo
AG
My expectations were kind of low after reading the prior thread so I was pleasantly surprised that it was an enjoyable movie. The main problem for me was the casting, it was pretty hard to not to see Star Lord and Katniss the entire time.
bearamedic99
AG
yeah, first TCTTS hyped the script, then the forum panned the movie. I not sure if I care for JLaw and feel she is over hyped. Pratt is meh. But I'm still curious about the movie.
Muy
AG
Very good movie. Not great, just very entertaining.
Murder Hornet
AG
Good concept and movie up.until the ending.

would have been interesting to have Pratt did and then JLaw have to decide to stay alone or wake another passenger up. Maybe end it like Inception with her just standing in front of a cryo tank
V8Aggie
AG
Muy said:

Very good movie. Not great, just very entertaining.
Ditto. Wife liked it too and she's not a fan of space/sci-fi (mainly because that's what I always suggest).
Duncan Idaho
bthomas98 said:

Good concept and movie up.until the ending.

would have been interesting to have Pratt did and then JLaw have to decide to stay alone or wake another passenger up. Maybe end it like Inception with her just standing in front of a cryo tank

I like that.

Zombie Jon Snow
AG
My wife and I both enjoyed it - some good plot stuff and some good effects, etc. Concept was novel enough.

there were a few weak parts and odd parts to say the least. but it worked for the most part.

wessimo
AG
Agree, that would have been a good ending.
M.C. Swag
AG
The movie is split into two halves; the first being an intriguing and well scripted drama/thriller.....the second being a eye-rolling/cliched, awkward paced, action movie.

Personally, the flaws of the later half of the movie outweighed the intriguing positives of the first. I thought overall it was below average. Worth a single watch if you're bored.
FtBendTxAg
AG
Pretty good movie
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Never would have seen it without the other thread. Didn't feel like a waste of time, but glad I didn't spend any money on watching it. It was on some free half ass movie channel we get somehow on comcrap.
AliasMan02
AG
Would have been way better if paced as I believe the original script had it: Pratt is alone a long time, JLaw wakes up and they fall in love, and THEN it is revealed that Pratt actually woke her up. Put the audience in JLaw's shoes.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
AliasMan02 said:

Would have been way better if paced as I believe the original script had it: Pratt is alone a long time, JLaw wakes up and they fall in love, and THEN it is revealed that Pratt actually woke her up. Put the audience in JLaw's shoes.

Well I watched this interesting video yesterday which proposes basically that.

It even pieces together some snippets to show you how it plays that way.

Basically the movie would begin with JLaw waking up... and then it's mysterious all these scenes where he has tried to break in the bridge, etc....and he seems weird but we don't know why. Basically then we discover what he did when she does and then possibly see all the before stuff in flashback. then it can play play out in various ways but still seems like a better order of presentation.

It's an interesting premise.

It did feel like a movie giving it all away up front and then manufacturing situations like the ship falling apart to induce dramatic tension and a resolution to their relationship.

Redstone
AG
I saw it in the theatre very shortly after initial release
AgGrad99
AG
I thought it was ok.

The first half has the novelty/suspense of should he, shouldn't he.

But then after he wakes her, it was a little predictable.
The Debt
Message from Sector 6 did it better
Duncan Idaho
Redstone said:

I saw it in the theatre very shortly after initial release

I don't believe you. There is no way you would support a film with such blatent underrepresentation of minorities
Apache
AG
Always bugged me about the animals & all the plants at the end. It was like 90 years after all the crap with Pratt & Lawrence went down, so those plants have been on their own for 20 years minimum.
What soil did they grow in? Who watered them? Who fed the chickens?
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Apache said:

Always bugged me about the animals & all the plants at the end. It was like 90 years after all the crap with Pratt & Lawrence went down, so those plants have been on their own for 20 years minimum.

that was the biggest issue really - but glossed over because it was such a sappy ending, don't we all feel good, yeah...... blech.

should have been dark, somber, terrible ending. imho.
Apache
AG
I guess the chickens could have eaten whoever died last. That would have fed them for a while.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG

I never got why they didn't just take like 5 year shifts and trade off.

wake up your partner and have a happy 1 week reunion and crazy sex then the other hibernates for 5 years.

then they each would have aged only 45 years and could have seen the destination together and published their story and been rich together in their golden years on utopia.
AgGrad99
AG
The chickens took their wrist bands, scanned them, and lived off cereal.
Apache
AG
The chickens would have overpopulated due to no predators & then run out of food & turned on each other. Chicken mayhem ensues.
Belton Ag
AG
Apache said:

The chickens would have overpopulated due to no predators & then run out of food & turned on each other. Chicken mayhem ensues.
That's how it should have ended. The others woke up only to be dominated by a race of giant inbred Hyperchickens who harvests them for food. The only thing the people can do is sit there and go "what the hell happened?"
Apache
AG
I can visualize a time lapse of the chickens in paradise, feeding & going wild on the auto feeder Pratt set up.
Thousands of chickens on the ship. Just as the last bit of food is consumed, the chickens peck around nervously. "What will we eat?" they wonder.
Then, the hibernation pods open slowly. Ten thousand chickens turn and begin walking to the pod. Andy Garcia rubs his eyes <<Tight shot on face>> A scream and he collapses under a pile of chickens, their white feathers stained red with blood.
AliasMan02
AG
Apache said:

I think the implication is that their kids are there somewhere.
TCTTS
AG
In the script, Pratt's character tried to go back into hyper sleep, but couldn't figure out how. The pods wouldn't let him. I can't remember if that was in the movie or not.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
TCTTS said:

In the script, Pratt's character tried to go back into hyper sleep, but couldn't figure out how. The pods wouldn't let him. I can't remember if that was in the movie or not.

I know but they figured out they could use the medical bay bed - but only for one of them - he said that and showed her after he was recovered. He wanted her to go of course, but she didn't want to then live without him later.

And they had the wrist thing and override codes to do whatever they wanted with the medical bed - as demonstrated when she used it to save his life. I'm sure they each could have woken the other as agreed and then continued alternating.

All they had to do was take turns using that for 5 years each. They might be like 75 when they get where they are going. And keep it mind it as set in the future - who knows how long people live then.

Could have been basically the same movie only the ending shows an elder version of him or her waking n elder version of the other and walking out to that scene we saw basically instead of the captain/crew.

TCTTS
AG
Forgot about all of that. I think I blocked out a ton from the movie itself.
littlebitofhifi
AG
I enjoyed the movie ok although I recognize the flaws everyone's mentioned.

As to the sharing the pod 5 years on/off thing though...isn't the whole point of it to think about what survival would mean if you were alone and if that life is really worth it? Definitely not trying to overthink a mediocre movie but I just didn't really see it as being about finding a means for survival.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
littlebitofhifi said:

I enjoyed the movie ok although I recognize the flaws everyone's mentioned.

As to the sharing the pod 5 years on/off thing though...isn't the whole point of it to think about what survival would mean if you were alone and if that life is really worth it? Definitely not trying to overthink a mediocre movie but I just didn't really see it as being about finding a means for survival.

I suppose - and I'm probably looking at it too practically.

70 years together - but alone otherwise
vs.
45 years alone except for occasional reunions followed by maybe 10-20 years at the new world with everyone

I guess it really depends if you goal is to get there or your goal is to live together.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.