*** NETFLIX: THE HAUNTING OF HILL HOUSE ***

21,064 Views | 177 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by bbattbq01
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Did not see this thread created yet, but this show just premiered yesterday on Netflix. If you are a fan of horror, this is a show you absolutely need to watch. I am about 6 episodes through right now, and while I can't yet comment on the entirety of the series, it has been absolutely phenomenal. It is also receiving rave reviews from critics at the moment, as well.

It is a story with two separate time lines. The first timeline is of the family living in the eponymous house, and the second is many years later as the now disfunctional family is brought back together and must once again deal with the House they left decades ago.

It has a very Stephen King-esque, It, feel to it. I highly recommend it. I currently can't stop watching. Will comment again once finished.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
TCTTS
AG
I just rewatched the trailer earlier today and it does look to be very well done and intriguing. I'm not a big horror fan, but considering the lack of streaming options right now (I've finished just about everything I wanted to tackle), I may have to give this a shot, considering your reaction and the other glowing reviews.

I'll check back in next week after I've knocked out a couple episodes.

Thanks for posting!
Saxsoon
AG
Well that final shot of the first episode made me take my headphones off and look away from the screen. That was creepy as ****
Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2012
Boo Weekley
That looks dark and scary AF
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
So just finished my ridiculous 2 day binge of this show and these are my thoughts.

I'll get the negatives out of the way first. I thought the show went about 2 episodes too long. It did drag a bit. Also, I had some issues with the final episode, and I think they could have ended this on a better note, although I don't think the ending was bad, just unexpected given the build up.

As for the positives, I think the best part of the show was how well developed each character was. Flannagan took his time, slowly, and methodically developing each character. I think each actor did an excellent job with their role, and had me caring about each and every one of them. I also loved the lack of jump scares (although there is one in episode 8 or 9 that made me scream like a little girl). I also love how if you paid attention, you could see ghosts in many of the scenes that weren't readily apparent. I rewound multiple times because I would catch one of those ghosts out of the corner of my eye.

This was a show that ultimately was about families and how they respond to the traumas they endure. Despite a bit of a bumpy ending, I still highly recommend this show to horror lovers.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
hph6203
AG
Almost made this thread myself, because I had absolutely no intention of watching it but the dog decided it was the show to watch (he sat on the remote). Watched the first episode and got intrigued and then got hooked.

I've seen all 10 episodes, it has a weird dismount but not so weird as to ruin the season. I wouldn't call it a scary show, just an interesting story about a family and a ****ed up situation and how they each deal with it. Wasn't really ever scared while watching, so even if horror isn't your thing it's worth giving it a shot. Horror is not my thing, but if you're sensitive to it then maybe it might scare you, like I said t didn't scare me.
V8Aggie
AG
I've read one review from y'all about this question but would like further confirmation.

Not really reliant on jump scares? I am a ***** and hate these. I love being scared via suspense/unknown/creepy factor though.
hph6203
AG
There aren't many, if any that I noticed. If they're there they're the slow moving kind. I wouldn't say the show even scared me though.
rynning
AG
Watched the first episode because of this thread and agree that it's very good. Yes, it's a story about people who are/were in a haunted house but in a "serious and realistic" way if that makes sense. Definitely suspenseful but not cheap.
91_Aggie
AG
Started watching this... on 2nd episode... my initial main problem was all the female characters all look the same and with the going back in time and present and not knowing who everyone was as they slowly introduced them, I couldn't tell who was who. Even the caretaker woman, Annabeth Gish, looked like the sisters and the mom.

Think I got them all figured out now.
hph6203
AG
Each episode is like a present day/flashback combo for each character. The oldest is the funeral home director (Shirley), the middle child is the psychologist (Theo), and the youngest is Nell.

Don't think that qualifies as a spoiler.
V8Aggie
AG
Awesome thanks! Looking forward to it.
I'm a wimp when it comes to horror shows/films. I saw one and a half episodes and I stopped. Couldn't take it anymore.
Bayside Tiger Ag
In the middle of episode one and finding it very slow. Hard to get into.

When did it start clicking for you all?
91_Aggie
AG
hph6203 said:

Each episode is like a present day/flashback combo for each character. The oldest is the funeral home director (Shirley), the middle child is the psychologist (Theo), and the youngest is Nell.

Don't think that qualifies as a spoiler.
Yeah, I eventually figured it out... just the order they brought in new characters was confusing.

First scene was just a little boy and girl... so I figured there were just two kids... and again, Theo and Shirley look quite a bit alike. so got confused when they first showed Theo as a Grown up in the bar... and i don't think they had shown Nell yet.. Maybe something earlier letting us know there are 5 kids total would have helped.

But it worked itself out.
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
Bayside Tiger Ag said:

In the middle of episode one and finding it very slow. Hard to get into.

When did it start clicking for you all?
I think by the end of episode 1 is when I got hooked. I'd give it 2 episodes, if you aren't hooked by then, then it might not be a show for you. It definitely is a slow burn though, so I'd understand if some people have a hard time getting into it initially.
BenFiasco14
AG
On episode 3 and loving it. I'm a huge horror fan. Can someone answer this question for me? Is this just going to be one season and the story concludes this season? Or is there going to be more?
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
V8Aggie
AG
Starting tonight when the wife goes to bed. Pray for me b/c I'm a poon.
hph6203
AG
I'll tell you if you stop making spin-off threads.

The show does not end in a definitive way that excludes the possibility of a second season, but it also does not completely tease a continuation. The family's story arc with the house comes to a conclusion.

I'd be surprised if they actually bring back the entire cast from this season. More like a True Detective type of recasting with new characters experiencing the haunting of the house

Also, does this show actually pass for scary? I don't ever recall being scared. Some tension, but not scared.
BenFiasco14
AG
On episode 5. A lot of really brave people in this thread. Some of this ****s creepy as hell
V8Aggie
AG
Oh FFS this isn't going well
maca1028
Solid first episode. Carla Gugino is a smoke show!
Bayside Tiger Ag
V8Aggie said:

All I did was yawn in the first episode. What could possibly be scary about it?

I think I've come to the realization that ghosts and haunted houses don't do it for me. I need cults and gore in horror series/movies.

Found footage is still the most effective scare tactic for horror films.
91_Aggie
AG
Older theodora could play a sister to angelina jolie.
Trucker2005
AG
On episode 2, and Carla Gugino is still hot.
astros4545
AG
Trucker2005 said:

On episode 2, and Carla Gugino is still hot.

She was hot in 1992

And she has gotten hotter every year since

Amazing
91_Aggie
AG
hph6203 said:

I'll tell you if you stop making spin-off threads.

The show does not end in a definitive way that excludes the possibility of a second season, but it also does not completely tease a continuation. The family's story arc with the house comes to a conclusion.

I'd be surprised if they actually bring back the entire cast from this season. More like a True Detective type of recasting with new characters experiencing the haunting of the house

Also, does this show actually pass for scary? I don't ever recall being scared. Some tension, but not scared.
He wrote a lot of books about other houses, so the story could continue with those other books
V8Aggie
AG
Bayside Tiger Ag said:

V8Aggie said:

I think I've come to the realization that ghosts and haunted houses don't do it for me. I need cults and gore in horror series/movies.

I was drinking in the dark ok.

I don't like ghost movies as the creep my out but also entertain me.

I personally don't find gore scary and sometimes just unnecessary. Depends on the setting I suppose. I need to catch up on AHS but that's for another thread.
BenFiasco14
AG
Episode 5/6 spoilers:

I really, REALLY like how they explained the "bent-neck lady." That gave me serious goosebumps that throughout Nellie's childhood she was being visited by herself, in the future. Was it a warning to her younger self? I seriously don't get why she would have these visions or "visits" if the outcome was going to happen regardless. Also feel like this plot line sort of opened up a potential alternative timelines/dimensions twist... but IDK if they'd actually go down that path.

Episode 6 was probably the best of the season so far... the vast majority of it taking place in the funeral home and the family arguing was extremely well shot and acted... and the one scene with Nellie's dead self just hanging in the back freaked me the **** out, and the ending was so chilling... We see Nellie as a child again having somehow "warped" out of the current reality and then back in but then, Episode 6 ended back in the funeral home with Nellie's dead self standing there as the family left her coffin, presumably there the whole time.

Good, good stuff! Really freaked me out.
Punked Shank
AG
Dont think its a spoiler...

Who was the guy drinking at the end of episode 6 when cheryl is trying to leave the funeral? Not the storage closet people...but the guy by himself. It doesnt look like luke
sanitariex
AG
Gotta keep watching, it gets explained later.
91_Aggie
AG
Bayside Tiger Ag said:

V8Aggie said:

Gore doesnt scare me. That just isnt horror. Stuff that shouldnt be there in the middle of.the night in your bedroom, now that is scary.

Ive been watching this at nighy late and i have to follow it up with an episodr of something more mundane before i go to sleep. Been watching Shamless for the first time to clenase the palate with emmy rossum nudity
FTACO97
AG
91_Aggie said:

Yeah, I eventually figured it out... just the order they brought in new characters was confusing.

First scene was just a little boy and girl... so I figured there were just two kids... and again, Theo and Shirley look quite a bit alike. so got confused when they first showed Theo as a Grown up in the bar... and i don't think they had shown Nell yet.. Maybe something earlier letting us know there are 5 kids total would have helped.

But it worked itself out.

???

You might want to watch that scene again? It established all 5 kids in the first scene in the past at Hill House.
Punked Shank
AG
sanitariex said:

Gotta keep watching, it gets explained later.

Thanks wanted to make sure i didnt miss something.

And i agree. Ive been watching a few epsiodes every. ight before bed...my dreams have been kinda effed up the last 3 nights...need to mix in some Big Mouth before falling sleep
91_Aggie
AG
Episode 6, two storms, felt like the director was just trying to see how long he could keep a single take going. Acting was very weird during that and sone really dumb dialog going on.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.