Disney Movie Thread

41,481 Views | 375 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Brian Earl Spilner
GiveEmHellBill
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

G-dammit, Pixar........
easttexasaggie04
AG
Just got back from 10 days at Disney World. Their stock price must have taken a little step up during the last week. T&P for my wallet.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
How's Galaxy's Edge looking now? Last time I went, it looked maybe 65% done. (From what I could see over the wall, anyway.)
easttexasaggie04
AG
It's really coming along. I got a good look at it from Slinky Dog Coaster in Toy Story Land. They've got 5 months to finish it off before the August opening date.
Olsen
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
That spork is quickly going to become a fan favorite, I can already tell.
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
This really highlights how insane these few months will be for Disney.

easttexasaggie04
AG
I'm a huge Star Wars fan but I'm actually looking forward to Avengers more. I feel weird even typing that.
double aught
AG
Same. Never thought I'd say that.

Which one makes more money (domestically)? I think Star Wars, but I could certainly be wrong.
The Collective
AG
IX only out earns Endgame (domestically) if Abrams pulls out a miracle and word of mouth is strong, imo. IX is in for a challenge at the box office if there is any negativity surrounding it the first week, thanks to TLJ.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I'll go with Ep IX.

Star Wars goes beyond movies. It's a cultural phenomenon that Marvel hasn't really gotten a chance to become because it's still so new in comparison.

Granted, Last Jedi wasn't received well, but even that did $620M domestic.

For all the insane hype that Infinity War mustered, that did $678M. That's over $250M short of what TFA made.

So basically, I think Endgame would need a combination of factors to manage to beat out Ep IX. (Endgame needs to be universally loved, have huge legs and not take hits from summer competition, Ep IX has to be terribly received, etc.)

Whereas if Ep IX is really good, that's basically the only thing that matters. We know the marketing machine will go into overdrive for this one. This is the climax to the biggest cultural phenomenon in US history, and we haven't even gotten a taste of it yet. We're in full on "Endgame hype" right now, so it seems like it has no chance. Recency bias and all that.

But I guess we'll see.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The important thing to note here is, no matter who loses, The Mouse wins.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
https://www.thewaltdisneycompany.com/disneys-acquisition-of-21st-century-fox-will-bring-an-unprecedented-collection-of-content-and-talent-to-consumers-around-the-world/
wangus12
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

The important thing to note here is, no matter who loses, The Mouse wins.

I can hear the Mickey saying "A-huh" as he pulls the slide back
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Memo from Uncle Bob:

Quote:

Subject: A Historic Day for Our Company

I'm proud to announce the acquisition is complete and 21st Century Fox is now part of The Walt Disney Company. I'd like to welcome our new colleagues, and thank employees on both sides of the deal for your patience and perseverance as we worked through the lengthy acquisition and regulatory process.

As you know, Disney has never been short on ambition. We've never been satisfied with the status quo, and our vision for this transformative era is our boldest yet. We are rapidly transforming our company to take full advantage of evolving consumer trends and emerging technology in order to thrive in this new and exciting time.

Our acquisition of 21st Century Fox was driven by our strong belief that the addition of these great businesses, brands, franchises and talent will allow us to move faster, reach farther and aim higher especially when it comes to building direct connections with consumers.

I wish I could tell you that the hardest part is behind us; that closing the deal was the finish line, rather than just the next milestone. What lies ahead is the challenging work of uniting our businesses to create a dynamic, global entertainment company with the content, the platforms, and the reach to deliver industry-defining experiences that will engage consumers around the world for generations to come.

We've spent the last year exploring the new opportunities and synergies generated by bringing our two legendary companies together. Leaders across both organizations have worked closely together to understand how to best unlock this potential and unleash innovation and creativity to generate long-term growth. We're confident in our integration strategy and in our ability to execute it effectively; and we're inspired and energized by the new possibilities.

Our integration process will be an evolution, with some businesses impacted more than others. We've made many critical decisions already, but some areas still require further evaluation. We may not have answers to all of your questions at this moment, but we understand how vital information is, and we're committed to moving as quickly as possible to provide clarity regarding how your role may be impacted.

Having been on both sides of numerous acquisitions during my career, I have a deep appreciation for how this one impacts everyone involved, on both a personal and professional level. I understand the challenges, and I ask for your continued patience in the days to come as we combine this collection of great assets to create the world's premier entertainment company.

Bob
Satellite of Love
bad_teammate said on 2/10/21:
Just imagine how 1/6 would've played out if DC hadn't had such strict gun laws.

Two people starred his post as of the time of this signature. Those 3 people are allowed to vote in the US.
Duncan Idaho
TCTTS said:

bearamedic99
AG
any thoughts on if hulu changes or gets absorbed due to disney now owns 30%?
TCTTS
AG
For at least the next few years it sounds like Disney+ will be their "family" streaming platform while Hulu will be where most of their more mature/dramatic PG-13/R fare lives. Most of 20th Century Fox's library will go to Hulu, since it falls in the latter category. One day, Disney might combine the two services, and you'll be able to buy the "family" package, or even just the "Star Wars" package, or just the "drama" package, etc., but I think that will depend on when/if Disney buys out the rest of Hulu and how all that's going to go down. For now, though, think of them having two streaming services, one for family fare and the other for everything else.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
With the FOX movies added to the schedule, an absolutely bonkers 2019 slate gets even crazier.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Also, how is Ad Astra still on the schedule for May? There's just no way it makes that date. There's not even a teaser yet.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Message from Uncle Bob, Circa 2030

Subject: A Historic Day for Our Company

I'm proud to announce the war is over and that those pesky holdouts Finland, Australia, and Nepal are now a part of Planet Disney. I'd like to welcome our new slaves, and thank negotiators on both sides of the deal for your patience and bloodshed as we worked through the lengthy submission and re-Disnyfication process.

As you know, Disney has never been short on ambition. We've never been satisfied with the status quo, and our vision for this transformative era is our boldest yet. We are rapidly transforming the planet you guys used to call "earth" to take full advantage of its vast natural resources, existing infrastructure, and endless supply of human drones in order to thrive in this new and exciting time.

Our world unification project was driven by our strong belief that the addition of these great nuclear arsenals, ground troops, and riches untold will allow us to move faster, reach farther and aim higher especially when it comes to establishing a Hollywood Studios on every planet in the solar system.

I wish I could tell you that the hardest part is behind us; that napalming Helsinki and Melbourne back to the Stone Age was the finish line, rather than just the next milestone. What lies ahead is the challenging work of uniting our firepower to create a pan-galactic empire with the satellite relays, automated battle platforms, and brainwashing facilities that will engage newly discovered and thereafter conquered alien civilizations for eons to come.

We've spent the last year creating a race of Giant Super Mice that do not need oxygen to survive, absorb the impact of a low-grade neutron bomb at minimal range, and carry up to 16 SAM heat-seeking missiles in a Disney tote bag to expedite putting down the brush fire revolutions that keep cropping up across the globe. We're confident in our "Rat out of the Rats" strategy and in our ability to execute dissidents effectively; and we're inspired and energized by the new possibilities.

Our world conquest process will be an evolution, with some countries impacted more than others. We've made many critical decisions already, such as using laser beams from high orbit satellites to sever India's geographical ties to the rest of Asia and send this cesspool of 1.4 billion people adrift in the Indian Ocean so we don't have to keep hearing them complain about the 19-hour wait for Space Mountain at the Magic Kingdom in Bombay. We may not have answers to all of your questions at this moment, and you should probably get used to that.

I understand the challenges, and I ask for your continued patience in the days to come as scientists use nanotechnology, artificial intelligence, personal enhancements, and just a sprinkle of Tinkerbell's fairy dust to transform me into a super being with the highest IQ of all time. I will no longer be able to be killed by conventional weapons, nor infected by earthbound nor man-made viruses or infections. Introduce your children to my image soon. I will be here when their grandchildren's grandchildren have gone the way of the dinosaur. Before I forget, please after reading this message proceed to take your Goofy Gummy Vitamins to quell those silly thoughts of rising up against the machine that are even now taking form in those adorable little brains of yours.

Supreme Leader Bob
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Also, how is Ad Astra still on the schedule for May? There's just no way it makes that date. There's not even a teaser yet.

I was wondering the same thing yesterday but apparently the Fox rep who they brought out said that some of these dates were going to change, so that probably explains it. There's no way Ad Astra hits in May. I'm guessing it'll be moved back to October or so, like you suggested a while back.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Olsen
AG
Artemis Fowl is pushed back to May 29, 2020 now.
TCTTS
AG
The updated live-action 2020 slate...

03.27.20 - Mulan
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4566758/

05.29.20- Artemis Fowl
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3089630/

07.24.20 - Jungle Cruise
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0870154/

08.14.20 - The One and Only Ivan
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3661394/

12.23.20 - Cruella
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3228774/
TCTTS
AG
Kind of crazy that Disney now won't have a Star Wars or Avatar movie next year.
Olsen
AG

GiveEmHellBill
AG
Anyone else find it just really bizarre that the "Bob's Burgers" movie is considered a Disney release?

Will we ever be seeing Mickey Ears that are really pink bunny ears being sold at their parks?
Olsen
AG
bearamedic99
AG
I'm confused.

Is this a sequel or a live action remake of the already-done live action remake?

I never saw the first Malificent

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.