Star Wars:Resistance

4,696 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by TXAG 05
TXAG 05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
First episode was last night. I think it has some promise. Set sometime before Force Awakens, main character is sent on a spy mission by Poe to try to find out about the First Order.
mazag08
AG
What's the story on this? Cartoon or live action?
TXAG 05
AG
Cartoon
AliasMan02
AG
Solid start. Lots of establishing, of course, but it looks beautiful. The palette is very fresh and the shading/lighting is dramatic and gives everything a lot of depth. The high point is the starfighter/racer sequences, though. Really great.

Loved seeing the T-85 X-Wings, finally. Love BB-8 and it looks like we may have another great droid on our hands with Bucket.

Thought Oscar Isaac's voice acting was a little flat, but a minor nit to pick. The cast overall is great. Loved Jim Rash and Bobby Moynihan. Looking at the cast list, they have some pretty big names making appearances.
Dro07
AG
First 3 episodes are not what I expected but I wasn't a fan of rebels starting out do I'll keep at it
amercer
AG
Where is this? Disney channel?
AliasMan02
AG
amercer said:

Where is this? Disney channel?

Yep
twilly
AG
Rebels and Clone Wars were animated series.
Resistance is a cartoon. A bit campy and over the top. Lead character has to overcome his massive ego and overly bumbling nature to become the hero.

I also think as the show progresses the storyline will cement and it will become a better show. But for those thinking this is going to be a Rebels/CW type show, I wouldn't count on it.
israeliag
AG
twilly said:

Resistance is a cartoon. A bit campy and over the top. Lead character has to overcome his massive ego and overly bumbling nature to become the hero.

I also think as the show progresses the storyline will cement and it will become a better show. But for those thinking this is going to be a Rebels/CW type show, I wouldn't count on it.
I disagree: Rebels and Clone Wars were pretty immature at first before starting to have a voice and hitting more mature themes and story structures (Clone Wars got there quicker if I remember, and Rebels didn't until season 2). Resistance was definitely campy with the lead (Kaz?) acting pretty juvenile and shouting all the time, but the last ~5mins of the hour long premier showed that this could reach the same level of those.

By far the best part of the premier was [sp]that the lead (a) didn't win the race; (c) didn't listen soon enough to the wiser wiser "boss-type" character to avoid near-disaster; (c) but did end up overcoming his ego and listening to him before crashing his ship. A lesser show would have had the lead not come to his wits until after crashing his ship.[/sp]

That and the green, super-naive alien.
Dro07
AG
you don't need spoilers for episodes that have already aired
twilly
AG
israeliag said:

twilly said:

I disagree: Rebels and Clone Wars were pretty immature at first before starting to have a voice and hitting more mature themes and story structures (Clone Wars got there quicker if I remember, and Rebels didn't until season 2). Resistance was definitely campy with the lead (Kaz?) acting pretty juvenile and shouting all the time, but the last ~5mins of the hour long premier showed that this could reach the same level of those.

By far the best part of the premier was [sp]that the lead (a) didn't win the race; (c) didn't listen soon enough to the wiser wiser "boss-type" character to avoid near-disaster; (c) but did end up overcoming his ego and listening to him before crashing his ship. A lesser show would have had the lead not come to his wits until after crashing his ship.[/sp]

That and the green, super-naive alien.
The two additional online episodes were just as campy as the premier, and even with the lead having his "reflection" moments in each.
Dro07
AG
ya so i am confused... were those episodes just going to be released online and not aired? I just watch through the disney app but I was curious.
twilly
AG
I hear ya. It is my understanding that they are the next two episodes to be aired. Kinda a bonus for those who register on the app. I thinks it's Disney partially laying the groundwork for their streaming service next year.
The Collective
AG
Hope the app for streaming is better than what they have now. I'm not a fan.
Dro07
AG
Dang so we have to wait another week for new episodes? Didn't realize they were going to show episodes that were already released on their app.
jabberwalkie09
AG
dromo07 said:

Dang so we have to wait another week for new episodes? Didn't realize they were going to show episodes that were already released on their app.

Bummer. Need to catch up. I didn't know they had aired anything besides the premiere and second episode.
EMY92
AG
Seems like they turned Jar Jar into a human.
Duncan Idaho
Watched the first episode a resounding meh from me.

I didn't expect clone wars (sans the force planet) but I was hoping for something closer to rebels in tone.
The Collective
AG
My 6 year old said it was stupid, so we out.
twilly
AG
So now that we're 5 episodes in, what are people's take on this show?

I think it's becoming slightly better structured, but still way more cartoonish compared to previous animated series. The increased presence of the FO has given the show a little more pop, but still can't overcome it's bumbling main characters.
TXAG 05
AG
If they would dial back the slapstick and get off the platform every now and then, it would be a lot better. Sticking with it for now.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Cstrickland05 said:

If they would dial back the slapstick and get off the platform every now and then, it would be a lot better. Sticking with it for now.

To be fair, I don't remember exactly, but I want to say that it took Rebels a good half the season to actually get off Lothal.
Dro07
AG
I just have to say that I am extremely disappointed in this show...
JCRiley09
AG
Has anything happened worth watching? I couldn't get past episode 4, but would like to be proven wrong that this is not the same kind of series as clone wars and rebels
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Duncan Idaho
C@LAg said:

Worst SW animation to date.

Clearly did not see "star wars detours"
Dro07
AG
Did anyone really see those?
Duncan Idaho
I mad it through half an episode. What made it worse was that all of the robot chicken star wars cuts were awesome.
Dro07
AG
Mid season Premiere... more of the same. The trailer made it seem like it would start ramping up...
jabberwalkie09
AG
Well damn. Guess I'll just have to see how the season rounds out then.
txagman1998
AG
Anyone still watching? Still clearly a Disney Channel cartoon, but the plot has definitely gotten serious now. Sunday's episode was pretty good and next week looks like a doozy.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
TXAG 05
AG
I'm hanging there. It feels like it's done doing the weekly goofball adventure and getting into more serious stuff, now that the first order is on base. It's a 20 minute investment on a Sunday night, so no big deal.
israeliag
AG
C@LAg said:

txagman1998 said:

Anyone still watching? Still clearly a Disney Channel cartoon, but the plot has definitely gotten serious now. Sunday's episode was pretty good and next week looks like a doozy.
I hate the art style.
And some of the voice acting is... bad.
I personally like the art style, maybe the most of the three animated series, but that's a very personal preference.

The voice acting is bad, in particular from the lead, which makes it only more grating. That's the worse part, IMO: the lead, Kaz, is barely someone you could sympathize with, though I'm sure that's part of his arc. But, with the terrible voice it's going to be hard to overcome him. It's as if Luke only talked about going to Toshi Station to pick up some power converters.

Waiting to binge is not a bad idea. I've been queuing up a few at a time, but with next season I'll probably wait till the season is almost all done.
Dro07
AG
still watching here and there in the background. I like the episodes when they are off the colossus. All the characters are annoying especially that green guy. I am just waiting for Rose to make an appearance at this point!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.