Robert Plant Coming Through Texas

1,504 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by petey88
AgRyan04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anyone going to see Robert Plant on his Texas leg of this new tour? Low or high expectations? I'm pretty excited - I didn't get into Zepplin until a few years ago so its all fairly new to me still.

Im working on a ticket to see him Monday in Austin but I have to sell my Saturday tickets first (bought them before I found out I wasnt going to be in town)

Tickets are posted in ticket exchange:

https://texags.com/forums/11/topics/2981818/replies/52684875#52684875
JJWAGGIE
AG
Saw him and his band play in San Antonio a few years ago... I'd say it was a good show but not great. I was just happy that I was able to see Plant live!
TXAG 05
AG
JJWAGGIE said:

Saw him and his band play in San Antonio a few years ago... I'd say it was a good show but not great. I was just happy that I was able to see Plant live!

Going to see Bob Dylan in a couple weeks. Not expecting much, but just wanted the opportunity to see him in person. I put Plant in the same category. Won't be like seeing Zep but you get to be in the same room as a legend and let him sing some songs for you.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Cstrickland05 said:

JJWAGGIE said:

Going to see Bob Dylan in a couple weeks. Not expecting much, but just wanted the opportunity to see him in person. I put Plant in the same category. Won't be like seeing Zep but you get to be in the same room as a legend and let him sing some songs for you.
Love Dylan but beware. His voice is pretty shot and even the songs you know aren't going to sound like the album versions.
TXAG 05
AG
I figured. Wasn't expecting much from him.
KidDoc
AG
I thought Plant was mostly into blue grass country now? Is he still doing Zepp heavy performances?

I have seen Bonham's the Led Zepplin experience a few times and it is pretty darn fun.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Saw Plant in Brookyln a couple years ago. Pretty cool show. Some of the Zeppelin songs were pretty out there, but most of them sounded pretty great.

His voice obviously isn't what it used to be, but it's still awesome to see a living legend like himself.
Know Your Enemy
AG
KidDoc said:

I thought Plant was mostly into blue grass country now? Is he still doing Zepp heavy performances?

I have seen Bonham's the Led Zepplin experience a few times and it is pretty darn fun.
Plant keeps saying he doesn't want to live in the past yet a good chunk of his set continues to be ****ty versions of Zep songs. He's the jackass keeping more actual Led Zeppelin shows from happening. Screw him.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Just found out that he was shopping at Good Records in Dallas yesterday.
AgRyan04
I just got back from the show and it was great.

I kinda figured his voice wasn't going to be like it was in 1970....he did hit a couple of notes and the engineers would grab it and stretch it out.

He played more Zepplin than I thought he would - maybe 50-60% going off memory....I'd have to see a set list to confirm. Everyone nailed it by saying some of the Zeppelin songs are good and some are a bit too altered....definitely not album versions.

Thanks for all the comments, it really helped set my expectations going in, and I think I was able to enjoy it a lot more than I would have if you hadn't contributed.

I will say, it was not a mailed in performance, which could have been easy for a 3rd night/same city show. It was highly entertaining - he was engaging, endearing, and it was clear he still enjoys being on stage and performing.

I would definitely recommend seeing him the next time he tours the States

Now I'm just Ramblin' On......
Redstone
AG
Stopped listening after Live Aid '85
Ol Jock 99
AG
Yep. And I'm afraid the ship has sailed. Page doesn't look good these days at all.
TXAG 05
AG
Junkhead said:

Cstrickland05 said:

JJWAGGIE said:

Love Dylan but beware. His voice is pretty shot and even the songs you know aren't going to sound like the album versions.

The Dylan show was night. It was a lot better than I expected. His voice was bad, but every now then he sounded good. Good set list, including Like a Rolling Stone, Paint My Masterpiece, It Ain't Me Babe, Don't Think Twice, it's Alright and encore of Blowing in the Wind and Ballad of a thin man. Like you said, everything was played differently than the studio versions but still liked it. I thought his band was great, I'd go see them play on their own. Thought it was interesting he didn't say one thing to crowd, just a bow with the band at the end, it was all music.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Yeah, I've seen him 4-5 times and he's never said anything that I can recall. Don't even think he introduced the band.
petey88

I believe Charlie Sexton is still touring with Dylan. Went to a concert at Dell Diamond a few years ago, Wille Nelson, Mellencamp, and Dylan,...Sexton showed up to play with Dylan, Learned shortly thereafter, he got on Dylan's tour bus, and rejoined the band. In a way the Dell Diamond show was different. Dylan's band had matching suits on, Charlie was in street clothes. Many didn't know who he was, but it was a young crowd. I did recognize him.

The show wasn't that great, that is the Dylan part. But then, I first saw Dylan in something like 1975 in Rolling Thunder Tour in Fort Worth. That was vintage Dylan.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.