***The Ballad of Buster Scruggs***

7,760 Views | 63 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by thejavelina
Willis
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

This looks really good. I know it's in the movie release thread, but with it coming out in November and on Netflix, I figured it was time for its own thread.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Just got finished watching it.

It's...................................interesting. Very weird. Absurdly violent at times (mainly the first story). Often depressing. Very beautifully shot and gorgeous scenery. The title could have easily been "Death on the Plains" with the body count in it.

It's definitely worth checking out.
Post removed:
by user
PooDoo
AG
What do you call a guy with no arms and no legs floating in the river?
Liquid Wrench
Amazing. Favorite thing I've watched in a long time.
Apache
AG
Quote:

What do you call a guy with no arms and no legs floating in the river?
Bob?
Silky Johnston
I thought it was incredibly boring and turned it off with about 25 minutes left. The visuals are the best part, but some of the stories we're painfully boring and seemed to get more boring as they went on.
Swarely
Odd movie.

Really enjoyed the first story.
Reno Hightower
Just watched and quite enjoyed it. It is a tad violent
GiveEmHellBill
AG
The first story (Buster Scruggs) was funny and absurdly violent.

I really liked Tom Wait's gold prospector story, but I think my favorite was James Francos' bank robber story ( "Pan shot!!!").
Professor Frick
AG
The guy with no arms or legs?

Dudley Dursley. true story.
PatAg
AG
We thought, you was a toaad
PooDoo
AG
In the opening scene, was that an instrumental version of Streets of Laredo?
Liquid Wrench
PooDoo said:

In the opening scene, was that an instrumental version of Streets of Laredo?
Basically. In the final vignette, the Irishman sang a version of The Unfortunate Rake (or maybe St. James Infirmary Blues), which is the older melody on which Streets of Laredo is based.
dreyOO
Saw it last night. Really enjoyed the creativity
JJxvi
AG
It kinda had the full spectrum of Coen brothers stuff, from the wacky all the way through to the very serious and slow paced, so its easy to like one segment but not really be into some of the others.. Personally I feel that the more enjoyable stuff was the faster paced wackier stuff at the beginning.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Ok I'm IN just off of Delmar!!!!!!! (Tim Blake Nelson)....and Coen Bros.

but add in
Liam Neeson
James Franco
Stephen Root
Brendan Gleeson

and I have to watch it now......
AgGrad99
AG
It was ok.

The quirkinesses becomes a bit predictable. I found myself wanting to get to the next chapter in most cases. The stories kinda drug on as the movie progressed. Im sure I missed the point of a couple stories, but honestly, the meaning couldnt have been worth the wait for some of them...and certainly didnt get me thinking; just wishing for the next one to start.

Almost wish they'd have taken a few of these stories and interwoven them, into different movies.
Silky Johnston
Yes
Funky Winkerbean
AG
I loved it. Very beautiful film with top notch writing and acting. Not sure of the meaning in a few of the chapters.
It is so easy to be wrong—and to persist in being wrong—when the costs of being wrong are paid by others.
Thomas Sowell
BTHOB-98
If you didn't like this then you likely did not understand it. This was phenomenal writing and directing!!
AgGrad99
AG

Quote:

If you didn't like this then you likely did not understand it
Meh
Duncan Idaho
Enjoyed it probably won't watch again
John Matrix
AG
Finally saw this. I'm a huge Coen Brothers fan,(I consider No Country for Old Men to be my favorite film of the last twenty years or so), so you can definitely say I was looking forward to this. Even in the Coen Brothers' "minor" works,(Burn After Reading, A Serious Man, Hail Cesar), they have a unique insight to the absurd nature of existence. Even The Big Lebowski, with its stoner following and seemingly light plot, deal with concepts of death, chaos, and what it means to be human. The Ballad of Buster Scruggs tried to do this, even succeeds in some places, but ultimately doesn't add up to anything particularly memorable. The ideas are there,( particularly in the last chapter in the stagecoach), but that doesn't necessarily make these stories compelling or funny in an entertaining way. This one appears to be lacking.
claym711
AG
Interesting, gorgeous, and fantastic acting, but overall not memorable - at least not on the level of some of their other work.
bobbranco
AG
I liked this Coen brothers movie.

Especially the first story and last story.

JABQ04
AG
I lost it at "First time?"
schmendeler
AG
Unfortunately it was in the trailer. Punch lost.
Thisguy1
Wasn't a fan.

I don't think I'm a Coen brother's fan because I watched NCFOM yesterday for the first time and enjoyed it up until the ending, of lack thereof. But the ending made me walk away not liking it.
Bobcat06
AG
Thisguy1 said:

Wasn't a fan.

I don't think I'm a Coen brother's fan because I watched NCFOM yesterday for the first time and enjoyed it up until the ending, of lack thereof. But the ending made me walk away not liking it.

NCFOM is about challenging archetypes
The Debt
I disliked it, not because it wasnt good but because I was expecting a comedy.

Sure there were some comedic moments, but I was expecting something different.
Always_Right
AG
Watched the first "story" and just wasn't my cup of tea.
Bunk Moreland
Thought it was great. Nice little collection of short stories.

Some better than others but overall very enjoyable.
Texaggie7nine
Big Coen fan. Finally watched mainly because I had trepedation with this being short stories.

For anyone that has not seen it but plans to, I'd recommend not reading any of the reviews and just experience it without knowing what you are getting into, though I doubt you skipped this far down this thread without reading other post , so here my review goes...

I really enjoyed the originality of it, and I have to say that after watching the first story I thought I was going to absolutley love this. Their dark comedy is some of the best.
However as per Coen style you rarely get what you expect. No other story was like the first one in the least.

I think the short story aspect of this movie is what makes it not one of the best Coen works. Their medium needs to be full of rich characters that persist in a long drawn out story.

This format just does not play to their strengths. Most of the stories, though expertly shot and scripted, just felt fleeting and thrown together. A few even felt like stories not really worth telling that had really great actors and scenery in them.

Still worth seeing for any Coen fan. And believe me, if you were turned off by the first story, dont worry you wont deal with that style the rest of the movie. Though I would love if the Coens made a full movie like that. I dont think i could grow tired of gratuitous violence for comedy's sake.

7nine
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.