**** Iron Fist Season 2 Episodes 1-5 Spoilers****

2,427 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by redline248
bearamedic99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Season 2 appears to have dropped today. I still need to finish Luge Cage season 2.
chipotle
rhutton125
AG
Well I'm in. I'll set the bar I set for S1, which they spectacularly failed to cross.

It's a martial arts show.

Give me good martial arts.

Do that and I'm probably pretty happy.
Sex Panther
AG
redline248
AG
On Ep 3. Please don't have the tired trope of hero arguing with his girlfriend over how to handle business.
FL_Ag1998
AG
Sadly, after loving Seasons 1 & 2 of DD, I gave up halfway through Season 2 of JJ, have no desire to watch Season 2 of Luke Cage, and didn't even know Season 2 of Iron Fist was on until I saw this thread.
SeattleAgJr
I have all ten episodes downloaded so hopefully will be able to start watching this weekend.

but I agree with Florida Ag.

The problem is that these heroes are not being heroic. I get that they are street level and dealing with those kinds of issues, but I am so ****ing tired of every single one of these guys being absolutely miserable in their personal lives as well. It makes for depressing TV.

Heroes can be happy too.
israeliag
AG
Wait it's finally 10 episodes?
rhutton125
AG
2 episodes in (of 10, yes) and I'm pleased so far. I've yet to roll my eyes at any dialogue and the action has been very competent. Curious to see where it's headed.
redline248
AG
Anyone else finished the season, yet? Is there a thread for that?
rhutton125
AG
Nothing yet, but I'll be there in ~2 days! So far so good this season. I could go for a lot more 10-episode seasons.
The Debt
An actual villain. Actual threat. And a coherent plotline. Wtf?! This isnt iron fist s1, or even luke cage s1 or s2.
SeattleAgJr
So it is good?

I was not able to start this weekend.
The Debt
If I had to rank Netflix marvel:

S1 daredevil

S2 daredevil
S1 JJ

S2 IF

S1 LC - S1 DEF

S2 LC - S2 JJ

S1 IF
rhutton125
AG
First off, this season was waaay better than S1. That's certainly easy to do, but it wasn't just better by default.

Scattershooting, with spoiler tags used for some things just in case.

1) The fights were all very solid. Competently done. I didn't see any "you gotta YouTube this one" scenes, but maybe that's because the bar has been raised. I kind of thought the action in Luke Cage S2 was better in some ways? But maybe that's because it wasn't an action-first show and it had a lower bar. But overall, very, very solid. No real Daredevil in a hallway, Defenders in a hallway, Punisher in a prison hallway types of scenes, but strong. Mad props to the whole cast, but especially Finn Jones who had no background in this just two years ago.

2) I have a small beef with the portrayal of Davos, and that pun isn't intended. My "problem" is that he's 5'7, and Finn Jones is 6'0. They did a good enough job with making him intimidating at times, but he's looking up to nearly ever other actor in the cast. I like the comics version, who like most comics villains is something like 6'5.

3) Joy Meachem is QUITE attractive. I think she got an upgrade this season, along with the fighting, general plotting, pace and everyone's acting.

4) Final episode, that final shot was cheesy as hell. I sort of know where they're going with it, due to the comics, but woof... 2003 called, it wants its special effects back.

5) Returning characters were all more likeable, I thought, across the board. Some may still not like Danny, but I cracked several smiles throughout the season with some of his newfound self-awareness.

6) I like where things may go from here, if a third season is ordered. Danny uncovering some lore and actually coming up with his own purpose. Maybe some more scenes outside of NYC. Colleen and/or Danny potentially needing to help take down Luke Cage if he gets out of line. Mary sticking around and potentially taking over the villain role for S3. I feel like the status quo was changed a lot more than I expected it would be, and that's great.

7) One last item that I think might annoy some around here, but it stood out to me nonetheless. Many of you have heard of the Bechdel Test - how many movies and shows fail to have two named female characters have a meaningful conversation that isn't about a man. I have some problems with the "test," but I think it's worth noting that S2 of IF seemed to crush it left and right. Joy and Mary, Mary and Misty, Misty and Colleen, Colleen and Madam Yang. This wasn't a show that simply resolved around Danny Rand - it actually had a strong supporting cast as well, and a diverse one at that. And while I'm not Asian, I'd like to think they handled the Chinatown setting as well as a show with a white kung fu master could - not having the grand white hero come in and teach these Azns whats up.

8) This probably should have been #1, but the change to 10 episodes was a GREAT thing. It actually left me wanting a little more, instead of feeling worn out.

Overall, I was pleased. I felt like they addressed nearly every concern from S1 and managed to get things back on track, which isn't easy to do with the ****ty decisions that Scott Buck had left them saddled with. Major course correction overall.

My rankings:
DD1 >> DD2=JJ1=Punisher > LC2=IF2 >> Defenders >>> JJ2=LC1 >>>>>>>>>>> IF1
swimmerbabe11
Just started. Loving that Colleen is 80% present so far.

Comedic relief guy is okay so far too.
swimmerbabe11
Davos is super fine.
swimmerbabe11
I swear I won't live reaction everything like I did the Avengers but its really cool to notice that Colleen does some things that are very Chinese, like accepting the sketch with both hands.
redline248
AG
Why do you even know that's a thing?
swimmerbabe11
Work and travel and general fascination with Chinese/ eastern culture
swimmerbabe11
How true to the comics is this season?

I'm almost done with the season and it was 20x better than the first. They really refined Danny's character. He is 10000x less punchable.

Misty and Colleen stole the show. Like mentioned above, they kill it on Bechdel test...which isnt usually something I get annoyed about, but it is pleasant and natural in this show.

ramblin_ag02
AG
Finished yesterday and it's amazing how well they used the awfulness of last season to create actual good characters and drama. Like flowers growing out of manure.

I was really impressed with how they gradually shifted the lead to Colleen and made Danny the sidekick. She was by far the best character in the first season. It flowed naturally from the characters and didn't seem gimmicky like all the recent Marvel comic book diversification. It was also great for Danny to finally realize that he's been running around like a toddler with a handgun, and that he's really immature and shouldn't be trusted with any power until he grows up. Ward was great this season. Walker was interesting if a little cliched. Joy was boring. Davos was not well-written, but his character made sense given how awful the monks that taught them were. Overall I was really impressed
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Always_Right
AG
Some of the dialogue between characters just seemed like time fillers and didn't add anything to the storyline. Other than Colleen being a pretty face, season 2 was pretty blah for me.
The Debt
Great_I_Am said:

Some of the dialogue between characters just seemed like time fillers and didn't add anything to the storyline. Other than Colleen being a pretty face, season 2 was pretty blah for me.

I feel this is how all the marvel shows are. "We got approved for 10 episodes and we only have 6 episodes of plot, we have to find a way to fill 4 hours of content."

So they add conversations that do nothing and missions that add nothing. Compare this to arrow/flash, with a monster of the week inside a larger arc.
Trident 88
AG
There were only a few times this season when I wanted to punch Danny's face. A huge improvement!

Ward is also infinitely more likable this season. Good to see him and Danny taking the trip together.

Joy looked hot a couple of times and then below average at other times. Colleen remains the reigning hotty of this series, and both her acting and her character were best in show.

I'm glad the Davos storyline is over and done with. His "true believer" shtick got pretty old pretty fast. Unfortunately, I'm not sure that Typhoid Mary's DID storyline will be much of an improvement, if any.

The last scene with Danny was cheesy, but it's what's keeping me interested enough to watch season 3.
redline248
AG
Quote:

...and then below average at other times.

You mean when she was bleeding from the head and about to die?
Trident 88
AG
redline248 said:

Quote:

...and then below average at other times.

You mean when she was bleeding from the head and about to die?
I've never minded before when a girl was bleeding, so that's probably not it.
redline248
jabberwalkie09
AG
Trident 88 said:

I'm glad the Davos storyline is over and done with. His "true believer" shtick got pretty old pretty fast. Unfortunately, I'm not sure that Typhoid Mary's DID storyline will be much of an improvement, if any.

Personally while Davos was a villain suited to the show, I agree he grew tiresome quickly. Mary on the other hand doesn't feel like she's necessarily suited to be an antagonist in this show. I think she would fit better on Daredevil (which iirc is who the character has faced off against in the comics from what I've read) or Punisher.

Out of the Marvel shows on Netflix, Iron Fist seems best suited to stick with the more supernatural or eastern mysticism type of things. I kind of hope they stick with that, but only time will tell.
Trident 88
AG
Good point. Mary won't be the main antagonist in season 3.

Mary's ongoing storyline with Joy will be the filler that enables them to stretch season 3 to 10 episodes, and I'll probably be checking my watch when they're on while I wait for the show to get back to the Far East Adventures of Danny and Ward.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Trident 88 said:

Good point. Mary won't be the main antagonist in season 3.

Mary's ongoing storyline with Joy will be the filler that enables them to stretch season 3 to 10 episodes, and I'll probably be checking my watch when they're on while I wait for the show to get back to the Far East Adventures of Danny and Ward.

Maybe Mary is what pulls Punisher into the Defenders.
captkirk
AG
Much better than Season 1. Danny less annoying. Very little boring business stuff. Big improvement
redline248
AG
With news that Netflix turns down defenders season 2, will DD3 be the last of these shows?
ramblin_ag02
AG
Saw speculation that they were done with "Defenders" and going with other crossovers like a "Heroes for Hire" Cage/Danny/Jessica crossover or a "Daughters of the Dragon" Misty/Colleen crossover
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
rshackelford
AG
Finished today. That was a substantial upgrade. Really enjoyed just about everything. I'd rank it #2 behind The Punisher for all of Netflix MCU material, yes even above both daredevils. Foggy and Karen's lines and acting really ruined daredevil for me. Yes, I even liked the cheesy dual gun light up ending. Somehow it just felt right. Everyone has been so high on Colleen's character this season, and while she was great, I feel like they made the most significant strides with Ward in development and execution, and Mary was so well adapted to the screen. Really enjoyed it
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.