Serial - Season 3

2,355 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Smokedraw01
Jimmy McNulty
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The preview came up on iTunes this morning, and it looks like the season will be the justice system as a whole, supposedly mainly focused in the Cleveland area.

I wasn't overly impressed with season two, although it was ok.
rhutton125
AG
Came here to post this. I've also heard good things about Season 2 of Up and Vanished.
Leggo My Elko
AG
rhutton125 said:

I've also heard good things about Season 2 of Up and Vanished.

I enjoyed season one, but the creator got to sanctimonious for my taste and I haven't started season two.
Cancelled
AG
TexjbA&M said:

rhutton125 said:

I enjoyed season one, but the creator got to sanctimonious for my taste and I haven't started season two.

And too concerned about pimping sponsors.
Joan Wilder
AG
Will definitely give Serial season 3 a chance. I didn't love season 2 but it did give me information i didn't have before, and made me think.

The host of Up and Vanished, and the Atlanta Monster podcasts is way too into his ad reads and makes the pod too much about himself. I gave up on U&V when he started taking about his Facebook fan page leads and conversations with fans that went nowhere.
Hincemm
AG
TexjbA&M said:

rhutton125 said:

completely agree. i don't want to hijack this thread too much, but that dude payne wears on me. his cadence is miserable. i guess i'm glad he got such a good story in season 1...but it got rough toward the end.
aTmLoKi
AG
Hincemm said:

TexjbA&M said:

rhutton125 said:

completely agree. i don't want to hijack this thread too much, but that dude payne wears on me. his cadence is miserable. i guess i'm glad he got such a good story in season 1...but it got rough toward the end.
Story for season 2 of U&V isn't as captivating, and yet he still has the issues with ads as he did. Ready to eject from that.

I will give Season 3 of Serial a chance, but agree that S2 wasn't as good as S1.
CDub06
AG
Couldn't deal with Payne in U&V. Had no desire to start season 2. Sanctimonious, annoying, not a very good story teller...

Looking forward to Season 3.

Season 1 of In The Dark was much better than Up & Vanished IMO
rhutton125
AG
I'm in agreement about Payne, I just saw a positive S2 review recently. If he's still the same, then I'm good with not checking it out.
NoahAg
Y'all know you can skip over the ads, right?
CDub06
AG
Oh I guess you can just walk out of the store without paying for merchandise too, can't you?
90 bull
AG
Just listened to first episode. I think I will like it more than season 2. Getting into the day to day stuff in the courts will hopefully be interesting and not just wear me down.
Rudyjax
AG
Looking forward to it.

Stopped Season 1 of Up and Vanished. He was the inspiration for the Onions A Very Fatal Murder, right?
Leggo My Elko
AG
Listened to the first 2 episodes, so far I like them a lot.
ATM9000
AG
Started 3 today... I liked it though not excited abt it not being a contiguous story this season. I think those are more captivating and unique and appreciate the work put into them given the degree of difficulty to pull 10 hours of audio only content out of one story.

I'll say what nobody will about season 2 of Serial: let's be honest it broke the archetype so many had in their head of Bergdahl being a villain. That's why I don't think it worked as well as season 1. The premise of the series isn't really sympathy or down the middle of the plate reporting... the premise is finding empathy for folks who maybe didn't get a lot of it.

At first I hated season 2 as well and recall listening to like 2 or 3 episodes and stopping. Then I changed the hat I listened to it in and really enjoyed it.

Rudyjax
AG
Season 2 showed Bergdahl was a victim of a ****ed up war and no matter what he did he had already paid his crimes.
Jimmy McNulty
AG
I have enjoyed first two episodes enough. I just hope it doesn't get too sanctimonious and start being too heavy handed regarding white privilege...etc.
Rudyjax
AG
I listened to the first 2 and enjoyed it .
Jimmy McNulty
AG
My wife works as a probation officer so I'll be interested to hear her thoughts. She has an interesting perspective.
jschroeder
Her bleeding heart is on full display this season but Sarah Koenig giggling while listening to the gang member discuss snitching im the fourth episode was a bit much.
Jimmy McNulty
AG
Agree....she takes them completely at their word also...
jschroeder
We'll, at least if you're black (which we know because she brings up the race of EVERYONE as soon as she introduces them) she does.

Cops?

No way, they're all lying racists.
Jimmy McNulty
AG
"he says he didn't shoot that baby He says he doesn't know who dud but even if he did know, he wouldn't tell. If he see's out the window someone shoot someone else, he says he's either going to leave before the cops come or help them as unhelpfully as he can"

Rudyjax
AG
I haven't listened to today's but I'm enjoying it.

Bleeding heart liberal or not, there are clearly issues with the judicial system.
Rudyjax
AG
The fourth episode highlights what the war on drugs did to America.
Hudson2508
AG
I really enjoyed it. I know the justice system is messed up and this only proves that theory. I know a lot of people will be turned off by her "bleeding heart", but the perspective she reported from needs more light. It felt a little like the Wire to me in the way it meandered through each facet of the system and then focused on the most vital piece (juveniles).

She obviously got a little too close to her subjects and was probably clouded by their side of the story, but she gravitated to powerful stories that deserved to be told. Even the guys that deserved to he punished by the legal system were punished disproportionately and we're handled terribly wrong by the powers at be.

I think the lasting impact on me will simply be the reality of how truly difficult it is for kids that are born into that world to get out. Especially with how the judicial system is stacked against them. It's a brutal cycle the keeps perpetuating itself and it's devastating.
GoAgs92
AG
Pretty boring TBH...gave it 3 episodes
HerschelwoodHardhead
AG
Really enjoyed it, though I was definitely bummed out at the end of each episode. Obviously I knew the justice system was messed up before I listened to this, but it was disheartening to hear how the treadmill-cycle can trap people (though they are by no means blameless).

I thought she was pretty even-handed overall. Obviously, she had more material on the defendants (and from their perspective), but most of the police/judicial system people would not interview or comment on current cases. Makes sense why, but she can't really give their perspective in podcast form if they won't get recorded.
Smokedraw01
HerschelwoodHardhead said:

Really enjoyed it, though I was definitely bummed out at the end of each episode. Obviously I knew the justice system was messed up before I listened to this, but it was disheartening to hear how the treadmill-cycle can trap people (though they are by no means blameless).

I thought she was pretty even-handed overall. Obviously, she had more material on the defendants (and from their perspective), but most of the police/judicial system people would not interview or comment on current cases. Makes sense why, but she can't really give their perspective in podcast form if they won't get recorded.

Agreed. I thought she even questioned the motives of some of her interviewees at times. Overall, I really enjoyed it. I hope some changes come from it but I doubt it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.