Steve Perry is back!

2,760 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Col. Steve Austin
62strat
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yelnick McWawa said:

mazag08 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Anyone that puts Steve Perry in the same ballpark as Mercury, Plant, or MJ is just wrong.

(Talking about in their prime.)
How so?

All are extremely talented and unique vocalists in their prime. Not many people can rival the purity of tone, range, and pitch that was prime Perry.

I love FM, but for me, his voice is too broadway-ish. Just my own opinion.

If Mercury and Perry both sang the same song that's neither of their own, would you be able to instantly tell Mercury was singing if you weren't warned ahead of time? Because Perry is unmistakable.

Lolwut?

Perry sounds like Sam Cooke (who he was TRYING to sound like) as well as the little Filipino dude that fronted Journey for awhile (who was trying to sound like Perry).
NOBODY sounds like Mercury.
You're stating that simply because someone is 'trying' to sound like someone, it automatically means they actually do sound like that person.

I can easily tell Pineda from Perry, or Perry from Cook for that matter. (I see you read wiki as well).

I just watched queen+adam labert on Corben do this little singing battle with Corben, and there were moments when Lambert sounded exactly like Mercury. I'm not just saying he was trying to sound like him, I'm saying he DID sound like him.

So yes, some people do sound like Mercury.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Robert Plant can be pretty easily emulated (see: Greta Van Fleet), and maybe Freddie. (To a much lesser extent.)

The one guy who is unmistakeable, inimitable, and utterly unique is MJ. That might make him the best of all time.

Know Your Enemy
AG
If that's your criteria then Dylan is obviously the best.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Who is yours, then?
Know Your Enemy
AG
Freddie Mercury is probably my number 1 with Robert Plant & Chris Cornell very close behind.
Blackstreet
AG
Every band that tours without the original lead singer tries to hire a singer that "sounds like" the original. Why wouldn't they? Go watch any band from the 70s and 80's who are currently touring without the original guy/gal. Are they as good as the original was in their prime or when recording the songs? Obviously not. However, they do a damn good job and their fans still show up by the thousands.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
62strat said:

Yelnick McWawa said:

mazag08 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Anyone that puts Steve Perry in the same ballpark as Mercury, Plant, or MJ is just wrong.

How so?

All are extremely talented and unique vocalists in their prime. Not many people can rival the purity of tone, range, and pitch that was prime Perry.

If Mercury and Perry both sang the same song that's neither of their own, would you be able to instantly tell Mercury was singing if you weren't warned ahead of time? Because Perry is unmistakable.

Lolwut?

Perry sounds like Sam Cooke (who he was TRYING to sound like) as well as the little Filipino dude that fronted Journey for awhile (who was trying to sound like Perry).
You're stating that simply because someone is 'trying' to sound like someone, it automatically means they actually do sound like that person.

I can easily tell Pineda from Perry, or Perry from Cook for that matter. (I see you read wiki as well).

LMAO. God I love TexAgs. Sorry to burst your bubble but I haven't wiki'd anything for this conversation. As crazy as it may seem, some of us who were adults before the internet, actually read and retained things precisely because there was no wiki. The Cooke/Perry connection has been well known for years. Hardly a secret. In fact, that wiki quote posted by the other guy doesn't do it justice. From what I remember reading years ago, Perry would play Sam Cooke records over and over and over again to get the sound right. There is no "speculation" about Cooke influence on Perry. None.

Also just to add: I'm a huge Steve Perry/Journey fan. I love his voice and have for 40+ years. This is not to disparage Perry (though the clip posted in the OP wasnt as impressive to me as it seems to have been to others), this is just a discussion discussing his voice relative to some of the others mentioned.
mazag08
AG
Yelnick McWawa said:

62strat said:

Yelnick McWawa said:

mazag08 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

How so?

Lolwut?

LMAO. God I love TexAgs. Sorry to burst your bubble but I haven't wiki'd anything for this conversation. As crazy as it may seem, some of us who were adults before the internet, actually read and retained things precisely because there was no wiki. The Cooke/Perry connection has been well known for years. Hardly a secret. In fact, that wiki quote posted by the other guy doesn't do it justice. From what I remember reading years ago, Perry would play Sam Cooke records over and over and over again to get the sound right. There is no "speculation" about Cooke influence on Perry. None.

Also just to add: I'm a huge Steve Perry/Journey fan. I love his voice and have for 40+ years. This is not to disparage Perry (though the clip posted in the OP wasnt as impressive to me as it seems to have been to others), this is just a discussion discussing his voice relative to some of the others mentioned.

Perry took influence from Cooke, mainly in phrasing, and added numerous other influences mixed with multiple styles and honed his own craft. That's why he's an all time great.
62strat
AG
Yelnick McWawa said:

62strat said:

Yelnick McWawa said:

mazag08 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

How so?

Lolwut?

Fair enough.. to touch on your other statement.. NOBODY sounds like Peter Steele, does that make him one of the GOAT?

Also, FWIW, I didn't have internet until I attended A&M. Some of us in that age group don't retain ****, so we read wikipedia
62strat
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Robert Plant can be pretty easily emulated (see: Greta Van Fleet), and maybe Freddie. (To a much lesser extent.)

The one guy who is unmistakeable, inimitable, and utterly unique is MJ. That might make him the best of all time.

I don't know.. Bruno is pretty much there. Of course, MJ came first so Bruno would never get credited for the sound/style/moves.. But he sure can sound/look/dance like him.
Col. Steve Austin
AG
captkirk said:

I thought his voice was shot. Doesn't sound like it
Almost (kinda shot).

IMO, sounds like karaoke by someone that can "almost" do Steve Perry.

On a side note, was anyone watching Channel 2 in Houston this morning when they were talking about this? I heard them talking about Steve Perry but they were showing video of Aerosmith (Steven Tyler and Joe Perry). Was not completely tuned in so don't know exactly what was said.
I am not the Six Million Dollar Man, but I might need that surgery. "We have the technology, we can rebuild him!"
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.