Steve Perry is back!

2,745 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Col. Steve Austin
Blackstreet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
No Don't Stop Believin', no care.
Philo B 93
Wow. That song just feels like 1984. That's a good thing.
captkirk
AG
I thought his voice was shot. Doesn't sound like it
mazag08
AG
Best vocalist of all time.
Stupe
S
Holy crap.

How can people not realize how fake they look after those surgeries.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Robert Plant
Freddie Mercury
Michael Jackson
mazag08
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

2. Robert Plant
3. Freddie Mercury
4. Michael Jackson
FIFY
Rex Racer
AG
Nice!
Know Your Enemy
AG
91_Aggie
AG
What am I missing?!?! Are y'all having a laugh?

That was horrible.
PatAg
AG
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
mazag08 said:

Best vocalist of all time.

He's not even as good as the vocalist he emulated, therefore he cannot be the greatest of all time.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
captkirk said:

I thought his voice was shot. Doesn't sound like it

Uh, yeah it does. That was not good.
Bruce Almighty
AG
mazag08 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

2. Robert Plant
3. Freddie Mercury
4. Michael Jackson
FIFY

You didn't fix it enough, because Freddie Mercury is #1.
Ghost91
Wanted to like it so bad. Only made it halfway thru second verse. Voice was okay, not shot but not OMG HE'S BACK.

Worst part was the lyrics. I cringed the 3rd or 4th time he said something about being in the back seat with the chick. Dude, you're 70.
beanbean
Sounded to me like his voice is kinda shot, he just has enough to get through a studio recording. I had high hopes that he and journey would make up enough to go on a tour and record some new material, but just the little hear there, I don't think he could make it through a tour. Dude used to be so good live. Theres a concert video of them in Japan in 1981 that's so good. I saw them summer of 1983, but was only like 8 years old so I barely remember it. My parents were huge Journey fans back in the late 70s/early 80s.
mazag08
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

mazag08 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

2. Robert Plant
3. Freddie Mercury
4. Michael Jackson
FIFY

The only reason Mercury was on the list was because I didn't alter the list from the person I quoted.

Mercury likely isn't even top 10 unless you are measuribg flamboyance.
Know Your Enemy
AG
mazag08 said:

Bruce Almighty said:

mazag08 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

2. Robert Plant
3. Freddie Mercury
4. Michael Jackson
FIFY

The only reason Mercury was on the list was because I didn't alter the list from the person I quoted.

$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
mazag08 said:

Bruce Almighty said:

mazag08 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

2. Robert Plant
3. Freddie Mercury
4. Michael Jackson
FIFY

Well that's a dumb take
62strat
AG
I don't know what he's done the last 30 years, but if he hasn't been singing much, that's his problem. Your voice is a muscle, and it can decline if you don't use it.

Had he joined back with Journey say in the late 90s and continued to sing with them for 15-20 years, he may still have ALL of it.
91_Aggie
AG
Also he kept reminding me of a cheesy 60's Vegas Act... like Wayne Newton or Robert Goulet
mazag08
AG
62strat said:

I don't know what he's done the last 30 years, but if he hasn't been singing much, that's his problem. Your voice is a muscle, and it can decline if you don't use it.

Had he joined back with Journey say in the late 90s and continued to sing with them for 15-20 years, he may still have ALL of it.

Wasn't the reason he originally quit because of voice problems?
Blackstreet
AG
He had a hip injury that prohibited him from touring on "Journey's" schedule plus he was "burned out" per his words.

It's been interesting reading everyone's response to the song. He's going to be 70 next year, I'm not sure what people were expecting. I plan to listen to the entire album before really deciding how I feel about his "comeback", but my first impression was not bad and kind of good. Being a fan of his and Journey probably skews my opinion more positively as that's what fans do. I'm glad he's back to writing and singing.
Carlo4
AG
PatAg said:

Whenever I hear his name, all I can think of is Trey Parker singing "and you should have been go-oooone"
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Anyone that puts Steve Perry in the same ballpark as Mercury, Plant, or MJ is just wrong.

(Talking about in their prime.)
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
A closer comparison for me is Perry vs Steven Tyler.
mazag08
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Anyone that puts Steve Perry in the same ballpark as Mercury, Plant, or MJ is just wrong.

How so?

All are extremely talented and unique vocalists in their prime. Not many people can rival the purity of tone, range, and pitch that was prime Perry.

I love FM, but for me, his voice is too broadway-ish. Just my own opinion.

If Mercury and Perry both sang the same song that's neither of their own, would you be able to instantly tell Mercury was singing if you weren't warned ahead of time? Because Perry is unmistakable.
Know Your Enemy
AG
mazag08 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

How so?

All are extremely talented and unique vocalists in their prime. Not many people can rival the purity of tone, range, and pitch that was prime Perry.

If Mercury and Perry both sang the same song that's neither of their own, would you be able to instantly tell Mercury was singing if you weren't warned ahead of time? Because Perry is unmistakable.
100% yes.
62strat
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Funny.. Brian May once called Perry 'a voice in a million'
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
mazag08 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

How so?

Lolwut?

Perry sounds like Sam Cooke (who he was TRYING to sound like) as well as the little Filipino dude that fronted Journey for awhile (who was trying to sound like Perry).
NOBODY sounds like Mercury.
BCSWguru
why is anyone trying to compare freddie and steve? theyre both super bad ass, leave it at that
Rex Racer
AG
Yelnick McWawa said:

mazag08 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

How so?

Lolwut?

Perry sounds like Sam Cooke (who he was TRYING to sound like) as well as the little Filipino dude that fronted Journey for awhile (who was trying to sound like Perry).

Arnel Pineda is still the lead singer of Journey.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
LSCSN said:

why is anyone trying to compare freddie and steve? theyre both super bad ass, leave it at that
Is this your first time on the EB?
mazag08
AG
Rex Racer said:

Yelnick McWawa said:

mazag08 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

How so?

Lolwut?

Arnel Pineda is still the lead singer of Journey.
And sounds nothing like Steve when he's not covering one of Steve's songs. Doesn't have the same control of his range like Steve did. Constantly fades in and out of trying to emulate Steve's tone.

From Wikipedia..

Quote:

Sam Cooke, to whom Perry has been compared,[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Perry#cite_note-36][36][/url] was Perry's primary influence.[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Perry#cite_note-rollingstone-4][4][/url] He has also cited the vocal approach of The Beach Boys, Jackie Wilson, Frankie Valli, Lou Christie, Marvin Gaye, Joe Tex, and Jack Bruce of Cream, along with female singers such as Diana Ross, Dee Dee Sharp and Aretha Franklin. Musically, Perry drew influence from Elvis Presley and Chuck Berry. He also spoke of his fondness for Motownrecordings, and English bands of the late 1960s

Wait, a singer has influences that help shape his style? NO WAY!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.