Musicians dying early

6,249 Views | 80 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by TXAG 05
62strat
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
mazag08 said:

Bruce Almighty said:

Mazag was trashing Pearl Jam in another thread so I think he must just hate grunge music.
I don't hate it. I'm just not a fan of the stereotypical grunge vocals. And most of the iconic grunge bands, to me, weren't progressing rock music forward in a time where it needed a definitive direction. So rock, through grunge, turned monotonous and basic when the blueprint was laid for it to go to the next level musically.

I used to hate Chris Cornell's vocals but he really grew on me as I dove deeper into his catalog. But everytime I listen to Nirvana I can't get over how bad the vocals are.

I just can't find any instance where I considered his singing anything other than a drag on the music behind it.

Insert the guy from Silverchair instead of Cobain and the whole catalog livens up (yes, I know Silverchair was inspired mainly by Nirvana).
Dylan didn't have **** for range and terrible voice.. who cares? He was important in music. So was Cobain. I don't know that Cobain has ever been revered as 'good' vocalist, so I'm not sure why you say it like that. He was important in his role of the musical shift at the time, along with the others.

And 'stereotypical grunge vocals'.. is there such a thing? Your big 4 are cobain, staley, cornell and vedder (to a lesser extent, cantrell).

All 4/5 of those guys have completely different voices.

Bruce Almighty
AG
It should be big 5 with Weiland.

Yea, yea, not from Seattle, not grunge.
62strat
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

It should be big 5 with Weiland.

Yea, yea, not from Seattle, not grunge.
Yeh STP doesn't quite fit that group. If anybody, Candlebox could be lumped in. They were Seattle, and just a year or two behind, and debut album was huge.

Course you have plenty other seattle bands lumped in grunge, but most had just minor success, like mudhoney, screaming trees, melvins, etc.

But it stands.. there are no two vocalists of that era that were the same, and many were very talented and well regarded as strong vocalists. So I don't get that 'stereotypical grunge voice' comment at all.
mazag08
AG
62strat said:

mazag08 said:

Bruce Almighty said:

Mazag was trashing Pearl Jam in another thread so I think he must just hate grunge music.
I don't hate it. I'm just not a fan of the stereotypical grunge vocals. And most of the iconic grunge bands, to me, weren't progressing rock music forward in a time where it needed a definitive direction. So rock, through grunge, turned monotonous and basic when the blueprint was laid for it to go to the next level musically.

I used to hate Chris Cornell's vocals but he really grew on me as I dove deeper into his catalog. But everytime I listen to Nirvana I can't get over how bad the vocals are.

I just can't find any instance where I considered his singing anything other than a drag on the music behind it.

Insert the guy from Silverchair instead of Cobain and the whole catalog livens up (yes, I know Silverchair was inspired mainly by Nirvana).
Dylan didn't have **** for range and terrible voice.. who cares? He was important in music. So was Cobain. I don't know that Cobain has ever been revered as 'good' vocalist, so I'm not sure why you say it like that. He was important in his role of the musical shift at the time, along with the others.

And 'stereotypical grunge vocals'.. is there such a thing? Your big 4 are cobain, staley, cornell and vedder (to a lesser extent, cantrell).

All 4/5 of those guys have completely different voices.

A lot of people have different voices. That doesn't mean that a musical style doesn't have a vibe or a feel. But I guess my problem is more central with Cobain. Nails on a chalkboard.
cr
Stevie Ray Vaughan
MW03
AG
For sheer potential, it's hard to top Jeff Buckley. Guy only ever released one album, and it happened to be one of the greatest albums of all time. Also hard to stomach given that he accidentally drowned.

Some others that I haven't seen mentioned:
  • Elliot Smith
  • Eazy-E
  • Freddie Mercury
  • Bradley Nowell
  • MCA aka Adam Yauch

Granted, MCA and Freddie Mercury released a ton of work, but they like some of the others that died before their time still had a lot left out there.

EDIT:

Went back through and sure enough, Mercury, Nowell, and Eazy-E have all been mentioned. Nice.
MW03
AG
mazag08
AG
MW03 said:

I just don't get it I guess.. that sounds awful to me. But I've made my opinion widely known on this thread. I'm the odd man out on this topic it seems.
Bruce Almighty
AG
And that's how I feel about Bob Dylan. No matter how great his songs are, I hate listening to them.
MW03
AG
mazag08 said:

MW03 said:

I just don't get it I guess.. that sounds awful to me. But I've made my opinion widely known on this thread. I'm the odd man out on this topic it seems.

I don't think he has a great voice, even compared to his contemporaries. But I think he does have a great voice for Nirvana in much the same way Vedder has a great voice for Pearl Jam.

For dudes from that time period, I personally think Cornell is the only one that gets a mention in a conversation with names like Robert Plant and Freddie Mercury.

62strat
AG
I'd say Brad Nowell (Sublime) and Shannon hoon of blind melon. Both died while still very relevant.
TXAG 05
AG
62strat said:

I'd say Brad Nowell (Sublime) and Shannon hoon of blind melon. Both died while still very relevant.

Especially Nowell since he died before the release of their first major album.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.