BlacKkKlansman

3,705 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Brian Earl Spilner
Know Your Enemy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Saw it this morning. Thought it was a little slow at times but the payoff was worth it. Spike Lee did a great job with this movie.
The Debt
Was the lead Dave Chappelle?
AustinAg2K
The Debt said:

Was the lead Dave Chappelle?
Aggie_Journalist
AG
I saw this on Friday and really enjoyed it. It hadn't been on my radar at all until my girlfriend suggested it and we were both very moved by it walking out of the theater. If a stranger asked me, "What's the one movie from 2018 that I should see?" I'd recommend BlackkKlansman.
Thanks and gig'em
Know Your Enemy
AG
The Charlottesville footage at the end was very emotional for me to watch. Powerful way to end the film.
TCTTS
AG
Agreed. A lot of sniffles in the theater during that sequence. Even the friend I was with started tearing up.
TCTTS
AG
I probably shouldn't have gone there, but this movie surprisingly DOES take quite a few not-so-veiled jabs at Trump. I thought they were hilarious (save for the very emtional final one), but I do admit that any hardcore conservative who sees this will likely end up just getting more pissed than they already are at the left/Spike Lee. It doesn't do a very good job of extending an olive branch in that regard. That said, it doesn't paint all white cops as racist or anything like that, and actually goes out it's way to provide a lot racial nuance in that regard. I was honestly surprised by how fair/well Lee treated the racial aspect.
mazag08
AG
Junkhead said:

And for the record, Spike Lee's previous film was all about the violence in the black community in Chicago. It's called Chiraq. So yes, he is addressing that issue as well.
That was actually very well done. He uses the movie as a platform to discuss black on black violence in Chicago as well as guns. Whether you agree with him or not, he does take on controversial topics.

This movie seems to be based in the 70's unless I'm looking at the wrong movie. Does he use that time period to relate to today, or is it specifically about that time period?
Know Your Enemy
AG
mazag08 said:

Junkhead said:

And for the record, Spike Lee's previous film was all about the violence in the black community in Chicago. It's called Chiraq. So yes, he is addressing that issue as well.
That was actually very well done. He uses the movie as a platform to discuss black on black violence in Chicago as well as guns. Whether you agree with him or not, he does take on controversial topics.

This movie seems to be based in the 70's unless I'm looking at the wrong movie. Does he use that time period to relate to today, or is it specifically about that time period?
This is a true story set in the 70' but yes he ties in current/recent events at the end.
Ag Since 83
AG
Just saw this movie and loved it - might be my favorite in 2018 so far

Some good social commentary without ever being over the top, also portrayed both good and bad cops.

The phone calls were hilarious.

Every now and then you could hear Denzel's voice in his son's for a couple words
TCTTS
AG
This is going to get interesting. Boots Riley, the director of Sorry to Bother You, calls out Spike Lee, and basically says the movie is a lie...

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Oh wow.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Popcorn.gif
suprafly03
AG
Boots...

He wants to keep stirring the pot. "Them coppers are bad folks. They're all racist. Don't believe that they could actually be good, Spike Lee is crazy for thinking that."
Scientific
AG
I just saw this film last night and I didn't have high expectations. Clockers was the last decent Spike Lee joint, and that was in 95. This film did a good job in my opinion, of having a look into what some people consider extreme point of views. Adam Driver's character provided another layer of what racism may look like, and what some may not understand about that. He did not paint all cops as bad, and the film was not centered around that.

As far as Boots Riley's complaints. Wasnt Jordan Peele involved in this project? If he was, its probably why this film was different than past Spike Lee projects, and if the author if the book hasn't come out and criticized the movie, why is Riley going out of his way?

I think Blackklansman was close to becoming a classic film, had Spike just kept away from the subtle little jabs towards the president. The ending was pretty powerful, and you could hear a pin drop how silent everyone was.
PatAg
AG
Guy makes one mediocre to bad movie and thinks it empowers him to do this?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Wait, why does jabs towards the president bring this movie down?
Presley OBannons Sword
Scientific said:

I just saw this film last night and I didn't have high expectations. Clockers was the last decent Spike Lee joint, and that was in 95.

25th Hour bro
bigtruckguy3500
TCTTS said:

but I do admit that any hardcore conservative who sees this will likely end up just getting more pissed than they already are at the left/Spike Lee.
Yeah, I'm kinda surprised the politics board hasn't made its way over here to start complaining about this movie.

Haven't seen it yet. Probably will wait till Netflix or Redbox or something. I just rarely have time to go to the theaters anymore.
TCTTS
AG
They already did. A decent amount of posts have been deleted from this thread.
Scientific
AG
I forgot about 25th Hour, but i still like Clockers more. My handle comes from the name of a character in that movie. One of my favorite films.

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Wait, why does jabs towards the president bring this movie down?

I don't want to give too much away, but theres a disagreement about LEOs between the main character & his girlfriend - Bigotry & racism wasn't a light switch that was suddenly turned off after the 60s. Spike left me wondering if he was trying to reach out to some who still may feel these dimensions no longer exist. Or does he not care, because they're not going to like him or this movie anyway? Its such a good movie, had he left some of those pieces out, I think the film's message could've resonated more to those who dont like him.
monarch
S
Spike Lee is a racist...
BlackGold
AG
Watched it and thought it was halfway decent until the end. The ending was meh and the tirade against folks in VA was over the top - feel like he made it a call to arms there. Wouldn't expect much less from Spike Lee though.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Not generally a fan of Spike Lee, but that was pretty good. Enjoyed the shots at Trump throughout the movie.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.