Studios might once again own movie theaters...

2,834 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by MBAR
dlp3719
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Can I please just have the option of watching a release weekend movie at home? Charge whatever you need to charge. $30? Great! I'll pay it. Way cheaper than a sitter.

All of you who love the theater can go. I will happily stay home in my own theater.
Muy
AG
RPM said:

dromo07 said:

How far away are we from streaming directly at home for instant releases?
no crap! Movie theaters top the list of unnecessary things we still have in 2018.

We don't go much, but the data clearly disputes your statement. Compared to other forms of entertainment away from home it's still relatively cheap, and people like to get away from home sometimes.
Zemira
AG
RPM said:

dromo07 said:

How far away are we from streaming directly at home for instant releases?
no crap! Movie theaters top the list of unnecessary things we still have in 2018.

I might not be visiting the theater as often due to the fact I'm unemployed, but I still want to see some movies in the theater.

When I have a job I try to go once a month to see something as a treat. I typically enjoy the experience as I go in the afternoon and avoid the crowds of children.

Professional Sports are unnecessary. Taxes are unnecessary. Golf is unnecessary.

Just because you don't go to the theater doesn't mean everyone holds your opinion. Just because someone has a differing opinion doesn't mean they are wrong.
Liquid Wrench

Quote:

and people like to get away from home sometimes.
No kidding. I don't get how people can spend entire weekends binge watching.
TCTTS
AG
After spending five straight work days around co-workers, going to meetings, and having to do either more work at night or a couple dinner gatherings here and there, some weekends literally all I want to do is talk to no one, go no where, and sit on the couch and get completely lost in series for hours on end. Besides, on the rare weekend that I do that, most streamable seasons aren't more than 10-13 episodes. So that's only half the weekend "lost" to TV.
littlebitofhifi
AG
Bloomberg reporting that Amazon is in talks to acquire Landmark Theaters (Mark Cuban's theater chain)

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-08-16/amazon-is-said-to-be-in-running-to-acquire-landmark-movie-chain

(sorry on mobile and link's not working...will fix later)
[url=https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-08-16/amazon-is-said-to-be-in-running-to-acquire-landmark-movie-chain][/url]
dcAg
The big name theater companies wont show second run movies. So if you can sit at home and watch Terminator IX at home opening night the big theaters wont show the movie at all after that.

The Cohen brothers bought a small theater in NY from my company.

MBAR
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Mission Impossible Fallout, great movie as it is, would not be half the experience at home that it was in an IMAX theater.

Similarly for movies like Dunkirk, Avengers, and Star Wars.
Yeah but out of all the movies I see a year, there are only a handful that fall into this. I don't even have a dedicated home theater room but I have a pretty decent setup and watching things at home is really nice. Sometimes you need a huge ass screen, but thats not nearly all the movies that come out.
MBAR
AG
GiveEmHellBill said:

YouBet said:

I recall several years ago now the coming death of movie theaters and how no one went to the movies anymore.

I haven't heard the message in a long time now.

At least in my experience, my local Cinemark has significantly upped their game in response.

Renovated theaters. Reclining lounge chairs in every theater. All digital projection and sound. Better concessions. Decent prices. And best of all: reserved seating that can be purchased weeks in advance in some cases.

The movie-going experience is so much better than even just a few years ago for me.
Yeah this is undeniable. Its one thing I love. If I'm going to go to a movie, I def want the nice reclining seats, exceptional video and sound quality, and maybe a beer. Those are all the things they've added here which does make it much more "worth it" to go to a theater for big releases.

Also the fact that I'm in BCS and can get 5 dollar movie tickets at any time is obviously a huge factor. If I lived anywhere else I'd go a lot less.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.