Studios might once again own movie theaters...

2,833 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by MBAR
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This is super interesting. I don't even know what this model would look like. Would a studio exclusively show their own movies in their theaters? Or would they simply own a percentage of current theater chains, the model stays the same, and they're not having to pay for distributing their own movies? Strangely enough, Netflix seems to be one of the big supporters of this. Would there be "Netflix theaters" in the same way there are Amazon book stores now? So many questions, so many possibilities...

YouBet
AG
Hmm. So, what did this look like when they once did? I don't recall that but maybe it was before my time.
EMY92
AG
Years ago, there were no huge theater complexes.

Growing up, the theaters in our area each had 2 screens. Then, a mall was built next to one of the theaters and the chain had 1&2 next to the mall and 3&4 in the mall.
TCTTS
AG
Studios haven't been allowed to own theaters since 1949. No idea what it looked like prior, but the whole system was obviously way different back then.
ConroeAg
Richland Mall?
YouBet
AG
EMY92 said:

Years ago, there were no huge theater complexes.

Growing up, the theaters in our area each had 2 screens. Then, a mall was built next to one of the theaters and the chain had 1&2 next to the mall and 3&4 in the mall.
Yeah, I'm not that young. Just didn't recall if studios owned any theaters when I grew up.
amercer
AG
In 1949 there was no content other than what studios put out.

I don't think any studio today would want to own theaters.
FL_Ag1998
AG
Wait.....so I would have to hope that each of the studios built a theater in the town I'm living in (or multiple theaters in a big city to accommodate all of the viewers) or otherwise I might not get to see certain movies? And suppose they did, I might have to only drive 5 minutes to go see some movies but 45 minutes to go see others?

W. T. F?
Liquid Wrench

Quote:

"The Paramount Decrees have been on the books with no sunset provisions since 1949. Much has changed in the motion picture industry since that time," Delrahim said in a statement. "It is high time that these and other legacy judgments are examined to determine whether they still serve to protect competition."
https://www.thewrap.com/justice-department-review-70-year-old-rules-barred-major-studios-owning-theaters/

I'm not sure what prompted this or if anything will come of it, but it is an interesting question. If the multiplexes are reducing the numbers of titles shown, and those titles are making most of their money outside domestic box offices, then are the old rules still relevant?
Dro07
AG
How far away are we from streaming directly at home for instant releases?
Liquid Wrench
Like TC said on the Star Wars thread, we're probably not far away from seeing Disney do that with 2nd tier titles.

And we're already there with Netflix buying scripts that might have been B-movies or direct to video in the past. It's natural since the multiplexes aren't ordering many lower budgets but the audience is growing.
Al Bula
AG
dromo07 said:

no crap! Movie theaters top the list of unnecessary things we still have in 2018.
The Anchor
AG
RPM said:

dromo07 said:

no crap! Movie theaters top the list of unnecessary things we still have in 2018.
We probably go to the movies about once a week on average. We love it.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
RPM said:

dromo07 said:

Sorry, but nothing beats the experience of seeing a movie on the big screen with state of the art projection and sound surrounded by an enthusiastic crowd.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Mission Impossible Fallout, great movie as it is, would not be half the experience at home that it was in an IMAX theater.

Similarly for movies like Dunkirk, Avengers, and Star Wars.
Leggo My Elko
AG
It would lower over all competition and reduce the quality of the goods and services the end consumer receives.

I'm all for laws that enforce free markets, but that's as long as the markets are allowed to stay competitive and efficient.
Vince Blake
ConroeAg said:

Richland Mall?

The one on the hill? I remember seeing ROTJ and ET there.
Cromagnum
AG
Hopefully that doesn't happen otherwise it will be a pain in the ass to determine which company has which showings at any point in time.
Bruce Almighty
AG
RPM said:

dromo07 said:

Bull***** Just because you may not care for them doesn't make them unnecessary. Millions of people, including many of that post on this board love going to theaters.
TCTTS
AG
Preach.
YouBet
AG
I recall several years ago now the coming death of movie theaters and how no one went to the movies anymore.

I haven't heard the message in a long time now.
PatAg
AG
YouBet said:

I recall several years ago now the coming death of movie theaters and how no one went to the movies anymore.

They definitely suffered from their misguided push of 3D movies. They should have stayed with the hi def Imax. I do love these new theaters with the much nicer chairs and sound systems to go with the screens.

I think James Cameron says they are developing a 3D screen, so it will still be bright like a normal movie, that could be interesting.
EMY92
AG
ConroeAg said:

Richland Mall?
It was Richland Fashion Mall at the time. The Fashion was dropped in the 90s.
Ulrich
Remember 4 days ago when I asked if studios would try to get into the theater business and everyone said "Ha! What a dumbass!" (Exaggerated for effect)
GiveEmHellBill
AG
YouBet said:

At least in my experience, my local Cinemark has significantly upped their game in response.

Renovated theaters. Reclining lounge chairs in every theater. All digital projection and sound. Better concessions. Decent prices. And best of all: reserved seating that can be purchased weeks in advance in some cases.

The movie-going experience is so much better than even just a few years ago for me.
Ulrich
I think they figured out that people don't go to the movie just to see it a few months sooner, they go for the event experience.
Liquid Wrench
I went to a slightly older AMC Loews in an untrendy burb recently and the seat upgrades were fantastic. It meant fewer seats overall but everyone was a lot more comfortable. Even had an old guy doze off and start snoring loudly to the amusement of others around him.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
RPM said:

dromo07 said:

Speak for yourself. As long as we have movie theaters with all of these upgraded creature comforts, reserved seating, and huge screens and booming sound systems, I will always want to see certain types of movies in the theater. Movies like Infinity War, Star Wars, Dunkirk, etc. I simply will never be able to match that experience with my home setup.
Al Bula
AG
I see the dwindling theater crowd is very testy and protective.
Liquid Wrench
Oooh you darn kids and your internets.
ConroeAg
EMY92 said:

ConroeAg said:

Richland Mall?
It was Richland Fashion Mall at the time. The Fashion was dropped in the 90s.
Oh, that's right! I forgot about the "Fashion" part.

As for the theaters, I remember it was huge when Waco Square 6 and Schulman theaters opened. Who would watch movies on all of those screens?!
YouBet
AG
GiveEmHellBill said:

YouBet said:

At least in my experience, my local Cinemark has significantly upped their game in response.

Renovated theaters. Reclining lounge chairs in every theater. All digital projection and sound. Better concessions. Decent prices. And best of all: reserved seating that can be purchased weeks in advance in some cases.

The movie-going experience is so much better than even just a few years ago for me.
Yep, we tend to go to the Studio Movie Grill here in Dallas that took over a huge AMC. It's pretty kickass and has the best sound that I've found.
Burdizzo
AG
I am not a big theater guy. The biggest deterrent for me are:

- The price of admission
- The other patrons

Biggest positives I have seen in recent years are improvements in seating and the concept of dinner theater (Alame Drafthouse, etc).

Up until recently I had only watched the Jurassic movies on the small screen. I took my son to see Jurassic World in the theater a few weeks ago. As far as the plot and action go, it was a good action movie with dinosaurs, but holy cow it was way better seeing it in the theater.

I believe the regulations on studios goes back to a different era of movie production. The studios owned everything from contracts with actors to the distribution network to the theaters. Regulators stepped in to give the actors more control over their careers, and part of the regulations included busting up the distribution network too.
Bruce Almighty
AG
RPM said:

Dwindling? 11 of the top 20 highest grossing movies of all time have come out in the last five years, including 3 of the top 10 from 2018.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

RPM said:

Dwindling? 11 of the top 20 highest grossing movies of all time have come out in the last five years, including 3 of the top 10 from 2018.

Black Panther just hit $700 million domestic in theaters.

It came out in February and has been out on Blu Ray for over two months.

But fewer people are going to the movies apparently.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.