Fargo Season 4 - starring Chris Rock

21,195 Views | 206 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by TXAGFAN
LawHall88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sports-Ag said:

I actually liked the episode. I figured they had to do a episode of Rabbi and Satchel to show what they've been up to but didn't know it will be an whole episode of just them. I do agree there was not multiple exciting moments compared to last week episode but like the storytelling. I kept waiting on the meet up of Calamita and Rabbi.

Many nods in the episode to foreshadow Satchel would be free at the end. I thought there was going to be 10 episodes and was thinking this is the episode they are going with before the finale? Hoping the next 2 are action pack.

I laughed when Rabbi asked the worker to hurry up and he said when I'm done I won't have a job.

I don't know if mentioned on here but did see online if:
Satchel is Mike Milligan in season 2. Milligan is Rabbi's last name

And further:

Quote:

Finally, it took me a few episodes to realize that Joe Bulo, the tall and mustachioed Fadda soldier played by Evan Mulrooney, is the younger version of the Kansas City syndicate middle manager played by Brad Garrett back in Season Two. In the Seventies, Joe will be the supervisor of Mike Milligan.
https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/tv-recaps/fargo-recap-season-4-episode-10-happy-1092239/
Ag_07
AG
So I just got on the Fargo wagon in the last month or so when I binged watched all the previous seasons and am finally caught up to this season.

Did they have to stop and restart filming this season for COVID?

Maybe I'm mistaken but I noticed in this last episode the children (Satchel and Ethelrida) looked noticeably older and more mature than previous episodes.
LawHall88
AG
Ag_07 said:

So I just got on the Fargo wagon in the last month or so when I binged watched all the previous seasons and am finally caught up to this season.

Maybe I'm mistaken but I noticed in this last episode the children (Satchel and Ethelrida) looked noticeably older and more mature than previous episodes.
Yes, I believe that all or parts of the last two episodes were filmed after a multi-month Covid delay.
Counterpoint
AG
Ag_07 said:

I thought Oraetta looked a lot different too, especially in the previews for next week.
OldArmy71
AG
Good observation. The girl has always looked about 25, but Satchel had changed quite a bit.
fig96
AG
So after some ups and downs I've really enjoyed the last few eps. The shootout was pretty epic, then the segway with Rabbi and Satchel was really interesting (if not a bit odd). This ep was a bit all over, but the scene with Odis and Gaetano literally made me gasp out loud and the last scene with Loy and Ethelrida was really fantastic.

Not quite the quality of past seasons but still a really entertaining watch, and I'm looking forward to how they bring it all together in the finale.
Stive
AG
So one thing I need clarified: how did Gaetano die? Did he fall and shoot him self when he stumbled? Did the cop get off one shot and he managed to walk a few steps before he stumbled and the back of his head fell off?

I couldn't make it out.
carpediem13
AG
He tripped and shot himself
DannyDuberstein
AG
Yep. Tripped and the gun went off under his chin and blew the top of his head off. Stupid
GiveEmHellBill
AG

When it happened, I thought it was referencing another Coen Brothers scene, but then I remembered it wasn't the Coen's, but from an Elmore Leonard movie...
Sailor
Meh.
Stive
AG
Agree....Meh.

Weird....

Average at best ending.
gggmann
AG
What a let down. Is that it or is there going to be a season 5?
LawHall88
AG
gggmann said:

What a let down. Is that it or is there going to be a season 5?
TBD.
Quote:

Are you definitely done with "Fargo"?

No, I don't think so. I've been saying I'm done for three years and I haven't been, so it feels obnoxious to say it again. The show has always been about the American experience, and there's still a lot to say about it. That said, I don't have a timeline and I don't even really have an idea. But I find myself compelled to come back to this style of storytelling: to tell a crime story, which is also a kind of character study and philosophical document exploration of our American experience. It's not something I feel like I ever would have been allowed to do without the Coen Brothers' model in the beginning, and now I can't think of why I would do it in any other format. The tone of voice is also unique: It's that Kafka setup to a tragic punchline, with a happy ending. That feels like a magic trick, if you can do it right.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/30/arts/television/noah-hawley-isnt-done-with-fargo.html
Bunk Moreland
Agree on meh. Watchable season with some good moments and quirky characters. I feel like it had a chance to be great but virtually every decision made from maybe ep 5 on was just not the way I'd have written any of these characters after they were originally established. Oh well.
Stive
AG
Wonder if the Rona break had anything to do with it...kind of like the writers strike 15 years ago nuked a bunch of series story lines during that time.
AgGrad99
AG
That ending was really disappointing. Not sure what I expected.

It also seemed like they went back and 'fit in' a racial narrative after the events of this summer. That oddly-placed thread felt shoe-horned in, and didn't really fit the story.

dave94
AG
AgGrad99 said:

That ending was really disappointing. Not sure what I expected.

It also seemed like they went back and 'fit in' a racial narrative after the events of this summer. That oddly-placed thread felt shoe-horned in, and didn't really fit the story.

Wait, what? The story is half about a black crime family in the 1950's.
AgGrad99
AG
It was about competing crime families. One of them was black. I didn't feel like the show was about racial issues. But the opening and ending monologues were all about race. Seemed 'added after the fact' to me.
Complete Idiot
Synopsis released back in 2019, before a blow up of racial topics in 2020:

In 1950, at the end of two great American migrations that of Southern Europeans from countries like Italy, who came to the US at the turn of the last century and settled in northern cities like New York, Chicago and African Americans who left the south in great numbers to escape Jim Crow and moved to those same cities you saw a collision of outsiders, all fighting for a piece of the American dream. In Kansas City, Missouri, two criminal syndicates have struck an uneasy peace. One Italian, one African American. Together they control an alternate economy that of exploitation, graft and drugs. This too is the history of America. To cement their peace, the heads of both families have traded their youngest sons.

Chris Rock plays the head of one family, a man who in order to prosper has surrendered his youngest boy to his enemy, and who must in turn raise his enemy's son as his own. It's an uneasy peace, but profitable. And then the head of the Kansas City mafia goes into the hospital for routine surgery and dies. And everything changes. It's a story of immigration and assimilation, and the things we do for money. And as always, a story of basically decent people who are probably in over their heads. You know, Fargo.

Interesting historical setting that involves many different immigrant groups, or descendants of "forced" immigrants. May have tweaked something after May/June 2020 events but no proof of that since it was mostly shot before that.
BQ78
AG
I'll dissent and say I liked the ending even though it was mostly predictable but I was sad to see Chris Rock get it in the end.

Thought it was hilarious when Oraetta's last request was to shot him first so I can see it and it was instantly fulfilled.
mazzag
AG
Mike Milligan!
fig96
AG
Watched last night and it was...ok.

I thought we had some really interesting characters and situations this season but it never quite came together. We didn't get a lot of some of the more compelling characters (like Deafy and Rabbi) and I thought the season started off really promising with Ethelrida as the defacto narrator before they veered away from that till the end.

What I think bothers me is that we didn't really see justice this season. We did see some characters meet a fitting end (the last scene with Josto and Oraetta was great), but the Fargo world has generally been one of no bad deed going unpunished (often with an unlikely victor or savior in the end). This season the Italians take over and we lose probably our most savvy character Loy to another with no real redeeming qualities who escapes unharmed.

We did get the Mike Milligan confirmation that we all suspected at the end, but I feel like a more poetic close would've been to have Satchel take out Zelmare at the end, thus the birth of Mike Milligan.
Sazerac
AG
What was the confirmation at the end?
OldArmy71
AG
The confirmation was that Satchel grows up to be Mike Milligan.
Sazerac
AG
Did they show something in the final episode though that I missed ?

I knew from the first episode he was MM.
Bunk Moreland
Sazerac said:

Did they show something in the final episode though that I missed ?

I knew from the first episode he was MM.

Yes. As the credits rolled they showed grown MM in the back of a car pondering as an image of Satch walkin the dog down the road appeared out the car window.
Sazerac
AG
Thanks I must have turned it off as credits rolled
TXAGFAN
AG
Any reason to watch this season? Seems like it's been panned.

I listened to Chris rock interview a while back on Howard and just found myself incredibly annoyed with him and even his lack of enthusiasm about show.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Only if you are completely out of things to watch. I was a big fan of the first 3 seasons and found this one extremely underwhelming
Sazerac
AG
It's a pass
Aggie_Journalist
AG
Holy smokes. A few episodes ago, I thought maybe this season was turning around. But no. It sucked. There was just no rhyme or reason to it. Random Wizard of Oz references that had no deeper symbolism, satchel in no way resembled the personality of MM and never really showed growth in that direction, no idea who the main characters were, a TON of random "why did that happen?" Deaths, at one point trying to emulate the brother v brother dynamics of S2 but then doing the opposite of improving on it.

Ugh. Just a total mess. After S3 and S4, I'd have a hard time giving a season 5 a chance.
Thanks and gig'em
TXAGFAN
AG
Thanks all.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.