Affleck & Damon - McDonald's Monolopy crime ring movie

4,273 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by double aught
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Fox wins bid with Affleck to direct and Damon to star.

https://deadline.com/2018/08/ben-affleck-matt-damon-mcdonalds-monopoly-game-scam-movie-paul-wernick-rhett-reese-1202438868/

If you haven't seen the original story, check it out here:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/how-an-ex-cop-rigged-mcdonalds-monopoly-game-and-stole-millions
Bruce Almighty
AG
That was quick. Didn't this story just break a few days ago?
FancyKetchup14
AG
"Matt Damon, huh? I haven't heard that name in years."

Quad Dog
AG
Please figure out a way to make this a weird sequel to Good Will Hunting. Will is the ex-cop who is wicked smart and figured out how to game the Monopoly system. He runs it for years keeping it underground until his old Pal Chuckie gets in trouble and starts exploiting the game. FBI agent Skylar has to hunt them down.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

wicked smaht
FIFY
Wicked Good Ag
Use David Baldaccis book The Winner as a partial blueprint with his take on rigging the lottery
bobinator
AG
That story was insane, would love to see it in movie form.

It didn't "just break," but towards the end of the article they explain why a lot of people don't remember the court case and all the crazy stuff that came out of it...

Quote:

The colorful court case, held in Jacksonville, Florida, started Sept. 10, 2001...
Flashdiaz
AG
doubt it was a coincidence... story made relevant again by Fox or the entity selling the story.

Zemira
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

The case went to trial September 10, 2001. The story was promptly lost to history the next day and now almost 17 years later it's becoming known. I would bet they gave the story life again due to the movie coming to fruition. Otherwise vwhy bring up a black mark on McDonald's that was lost due to 9/11.

I often wonder how many events that would be "significant" had something larger not overshadowed the event. This is the perfect case of that happening.
bonfarr
AG
Disclaimer: Views expressed in this post reflect the opinions of Texags user bonfarr and are not to be accepted as facts or to be accepted at face value.
TCTTS
AG
The story dropped on Friday. Then really picked up steam on Sunday once everyone and their dog started sharing it over the weekend. That's when I saw it, shared it with my business partners, and started hearing some chatter about who was already going after it. By Monday, the whole town was bidding on it and we didn't have a chance. There's no conspiracy here. When something like this hits, it's a frenzy, and deals can be worked out in a hurry. That said, authors/outlets share articles in advance with industry entities/people all the time. Could have happened here as well, but at most Affleck and Damon might have had a few weeks jump. Still, I doubt it, based on the way offers were coming in earlier this week and based on the other entities I know of who thought they still had a legit shot at it.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Quad Dog said:

Please figure out a way to make this a weird sequel to Good Will Hunting. Will is the ex-cop who is wicked smart and figured out how to game the Monopoly system. He runs it for years keeping it underground until his old Pal Chuckie gets in trouble and starts exploiting the game. FBI agent Skylar has to hunt them down.
There's already been a sequel to Good Will Hunting.

PooDoo
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Quote:

wicked smaht
FIFY
How you like them apple... pies?
superunknown
AG
Zemira said:

Bruce Almighty said:

I often wonder how many events that would be "significant" had something larger not overshadowed the event. This is the perfect case of that happening.

The Gary Condit/Chandra Levy thing was a big deal right before 9/11 too.
BCG Disciple
AG
Very entertaining story. All sorts of random intrigue that I'd like to know more about. How the author drops this and moves on without further explanation is beyond me.

"She was the "McQueen" of McDonald's, said Joe Maggard, a disgraced Ronald McDonald actor who was convicted of making harassing phone calls while posing as the clown."
_lefraud_
AG
I've been trying to reach out to one of the guys that was given a winning piece in the town I live, would love to hear his side of it.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Tell him you're a fellow fraud, maybe you'll bond over it.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Long story that was buried

Shame that Damon gets the lead

Can t wait to watch it on NBC
TCTTS
AG
I was half right. The bidding war was legit, but two genius producers commissioned a journalist to write the piece. It was basically a pitch to Hollywood in article form. Also, the list of names that bid on this thing is insane...

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Geez, it sounds like the making of the movie could be a movie in itself.
bobinator
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Geez, it sounds like the making of the movie could be a movie in itself.
And then the making of the making of the movie could be a movie...

I think you just saved Hollywood
AgGrad99
AG

I have a suspicion that this is going to look a lot like The Informant.

TCTTS
AG
Totally has that vibe for sure.
expresswrittenconsent
AgGrad99 said:

I have a suspicion that this is going to look a lot like The Informant.

Which in and of itself could be a fun movie. But after reading the story I hope the movie has a little more depth than the informant.
Mike Elko
AG
My first thought, as well. Interesting story/article, so should be an entertaining flick regardless.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Yeah the informant sucked
AgGrad99
AG
The Informant was one of those movies I didn't like...but couldn't stop watching.
chris1515
AG
I think this would make a much better movie!

https://www.damninteresting.com/the-zero-armed-bandit/
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
That was a great read.
Anti-taxxer
AG
This was fascinating. I don't remember hearing about this st all.
double aught
AG
Another interesting read about a couple that beat the Michigan lottery with math.

https://highline.huffingtonpost.com/articles/en/lotto-winners/
MookieBlaylock
AG
Without Weinstein there is a 100% chance these two clown ruin this
_lefraud_
AG
smango05 said:

This was fascinating. I don't remember hearing about this st all.

9/11
Drawkcab
The story's been out there for a while if anyone cared to look for it. In 2012 (remember the year clearly as I had just started a new job) I got to wondering if anyone ever actually won so I did some research and came across this story.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
That was great.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.