POLL - Handmaid's Tale - Thumbs up or down?

3,678 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by NeverUse
Geriatric Punk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wife and I get to watch MAYBE one show a night (2 month old and a 22 month old pretty much limit anything else). We're about to finish Westworld S2. My buddy said I needed to watch Handmaid's Tale. Since my time is limited, I'm curious what the consensus is on this page.

Give me a thumbs up or down.
Life's an endless party, not a pushcart.
Jim01
94DallasAG
AG
Tough watch and slow burn but worth the time
The Milkman
AG
I didnt expect to like it as much as I do. Its a full hour, not a 42 minute TV hour, and its pretty dense/heavy stuff. But very good.
Dro07
AG
1st season good
2nd season alright
Season 2 finale - Im done with the show.
bobinator
AG
Still don't see any way they're going to end it well, but the first two seasons were really good.
chick79
AG
Excellent show. Elizabeth Moss does an incredible job!
Sooper Jeenyus
AG
dromo07 said:

1st season good
2nd season alright
Pretty accurate. Season 2 is a complete logic fail, as are almost every decision she makes.
freshfrenchfryfanatic
AG
Definitely entertaining!
Duncan Idaho
It is good but there is better.
bobinator
AG
I have more of a problem with Nick, he basically handles every single situation as poorly as humanly possible.
Zemira
AG
Does the show improve after the first episode?

On my thread of suggestions this popped up and I hadn't watched it yet so I gave it a try, but after the first episode it just didn't do anything for me and I really like dystopian dramas in film and print.
Counterpoint
AG
Zemira said:

Does the show improve after the first episode?

On my thread of suggestions this popped up and I hadn't watched it yet so I gave it a try, but after the first episode it just didn't do anything for me and I really like dystopian dramas in film and print.
I like the series a lot (and I loved the first episode), but if you didn't like it, I'd say you won't like the rest of it.

Zemira
AG
I think I just need to clear my head and watch the episode again and see. I watched 4 different new shows (1st episode) last week and I didn't like any of them. I might have been in a mood or I just didn't like them.

I either really don't like the show or I was in a weirdo mood.
Whachutalnbout Willys
AG
bobinator said:

I have more of a problem with Nick, he basically handles every single situation as poorly as humanly possible.
He's still pizzed at Zuckerberg about Harvard Connect
claym711
AG
dromo07 said:

1st season good
2nd season alright

#metoo
Zemira
AG
Well I tried again last night and I just don't like it in live action version.

I read part of the book to prepare myself for the story. Of course it's different. I just enjoyed it as a book better. I guess dystopian stories are better read in my opinion.
Producers_96
AG
It was good while the writers were still working with the original book. Once they moved beyond that, it went completely off the rails.
Max Power
AG
I thought the first season was great, didn't catch season 2 because it made my wife cry several times. She said second season was rough, wasn't worth the watch.
Duncan Idaho
Max Power said:

I thought the first season was great, didn't catch season 2 because it made my wife cry several times. She said second season was rough, wasn't worth the watch.

Huh? It was good enough to make her cry buut wasn't good enough to watch?

That don't make no sense.
claym711
AG
Ya who doesn't like a good pregnant woman rape scene, some fake nursing, kidnapping, and the like. Quality stuff.

Definitely would decide when escaping, 'hey I should go back, they certainly won't kill me, and I'll be able to start a women's rights revolution'
Dad
AG
My wife and I just started this and we both really like it.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Zemira
AG
I actually tried to watch this again this summer and it was still awful. I usually really like the dystopian genre but it just doesn't do anything for me at all.

So a definite no from me.
Urban Ag
AG

Worldwide infertility has led to the enslavement of the few remaining fertile women in Gilead, citing an extremist interpretation of the Biblical account of Bilhah. These women, called Handmaids,[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Handmaid's_Tale_(TV_series)#cite_note-Williams2017-13][13][/url] are assigned to the homes of the ruling elite, where they must submit to ritualized rape by their male masters in order to become pregnant and bear children for those men and their wives. They assume a name created by the addition of the prefix Of- to the first name of the man who owns them. When they are transferred, their names are changed.

Diet Cokehead
AG
Thought I would hate it, but my wife insisted it was her turn to pick a show. I actually really liked it. Very dark.
Counterpoint
AG
Zemira said:

I actually tried to watch this again this summer and it was still awful. I usually really like the dystopian genre but it just doesn't do anything for me at all.

So a definite no from me.

Well, you gave it at least three tries. I'd say you've given it enough chances! (It really is good though)
bonfarr
AG
I liked the show until they made the Canadians out to be such humanitarian heroes. **** Canada.
rhutton125
AG
Is it worth watching JUST season 1? Or does that feel like a totally incomplete story?
JDUB08AG
AG
Do they give more back story in season 2? It seemed they went from a relatively normal society to crazy in a matter of like 5 years. I get it's a dystopian drama and you take it for what it is, but that kinda bothered me.
Counterpoint
AG
WelchAg said:

Do they give more back story in season 2? It seemed they went from a relatively normal society to crazy in a matter of like 5 years. I get it's a dystopian drama and you take it for what it is, but that kinda bothered me.

I don't remember if it's in season 2 or 3, but they show more and more little things starting to be weird in the flashbacks before getting completely Gilead-y.
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
i just don't get this show (and i know i'm in the minority). the main character is hard to look at, constantly makes bad decisions and the mood starts out as depressing as hell and gradually devolves from there. my fiance picked it and i'm glad she's forgotten about it (we were at the end of season 2). something about it makes me roll my eyes way too much.

if they had actual balls they would have made the new government muslim since they are essentially living under sharia law.
Post removed:
by user
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.