Netflix - Insatiable

6,226 Views | 49 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by oragator
oragator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Causing quite the kerfuffle.

https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/insatiable-fat-shaming-netflix-show-1202882565/
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
That's a lot of fat people.

Here's a thought. If you're ashamed, don't watch it, or better yet, lose some weight.
AgMarauder04
AG
Girls have known far before this show that thinner people tend to be more popular than heavier ones...
Bregxit
AG
Dang, thought the Marilyn Chambers classic was on Netflix.

Cancelled
AG
dlance said:

In my experience Chambers was a tease! I used to watch her stuff as a kid hoping for some action, but was always left with nothing but soft core trash.
Bregxit
AG
queso1 said:

dlance said:

In my experience Chambers was a tease! I used to watch her stuff as a kid hoping for some action, but was always left with nothing but soft core trash.

Um...what were you watching, her Ivory soap commercial?
Urban Ag
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Here's a thought. If you're ashamed, don't watch it, or better yet, lose some weight.
Ding ding ding.

I read up on this "controversy" earlier today. This is how hard we are falling as a society. You have a fat girl. She is bullied. She is harassed. Her life sucks. So she takes action and sheds the weight and re-enters the world of Americana High School life as a hottie.

In my world, the reactions should "F yeah you go girl, nice job". Instead we get 100k+ snowflake whiners baggin Netflix. Stupid. Pathetic.

My wife and I are workout/health partners. It's not easy. We plan out meals for the week. We calorie/carb/fat count our food. Plan out workouts and calorie burns. We push our kids to be fit (which is easy because they love sports/outdoors). I commend everyone that makes the effort to be fit and healthy and have no time for the lazy ass whiners. Getting in shape and staying in shape takes work and discipline. This should be applauded not mocked or shamed.
Tabasco
AG
So you have 100k people signing a petition to ban a show that is not even out yet, and it seems they don't even know what it is about.

Even on here, it seems people think it's about someone that decides to get into shape. The bullied fat girl gets assaulted and punched in the mouth. Jaw is wired shut, and she loses weight due to that.

Flashdiaz
AG
I wish phones were charged solely by kinetic energy.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
hurleyag
AG
"Yeah I called you fat, look at me I'm skinny"

Macarthur
Urban Ag said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Ding ding ding.

I read up on this "controversy" earlier today. This is how hard we are falling as a society. You have a fat girl. She is bullied. She is harassed. Her life sucks. So she takes action and sheds the weight and re-enters the world of Americana High School life as a hottie.

In my world, the reactions should "F yeah you go girl, nice job". Instead we get 100k+ snowflake whiners baggin Netflix. Stupid. Pathetic.

My wife and I are workout/health partners. It's not easy. We plan out meals for the week. We calorie/carb/fat count our food. Plan out workouts and calorie burns. We push our kids to be fit (which is easy because they love sports/outdoors). I commend everyone that makes the effort to be fit and healthy and have no time for the lazy ass whiners. Getting in shape and staying in shape takes work and discipline. This should be applauded not mocked or shamed.
I do think there is some overreaction going on with this show, but I find much of your post objectionable.

Being healthy is great, but there is a point here getting lost that the only way to be 'popular' or 'hot' is to be thin.

And the implication that if anyone is not fit or thin is lazy is pretty objectionable, also.
israeliag
AG

Quote:

Writer and executive producer Lauren Gussis also shared her thoughts on the controversy, citing her personal struggles with body image, mental illness, and an eating disorder.

"When I was 13, I was suicidal," Gussis wrote. "My best friends dumped me, I was bullied, and I wanted revenge. I thought if I looked pretty on the outside, I'd feel like I was enough. Instead, I developed an eating disorderand the kind of rage that makes you want to do dark things please give the show a chance."
https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/insatiable-fat-shaming-netflix-show-1202882565/
Tabasco
AG
hurleyag said:

"Yeah I called you fat, look at me I'm skinny"

^
I
I
I
I

Never kept him from getting busy
Urban Ag
AG
Macarthur said:

Urban Ag said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Ding ding ding.

I do think there is some overreaction going on with this show, but I find much of your post objectionable.

Being healthy is great, but there is a point here getting lost that the only way to be 'popular' or 'hot' is to be thin.

And the implication that if anyone is not fit or thin is lazy is pretty objectionable, also.
If that is how you or anyone else took my post, apologies, was not my intention. One of my brothers has struggled with weight his whole life and he is neither lazy or undisciplined, he just has terrible metabolism and other health issues.

That said, the vast majority of obese people in this country are obese because they are not willing to do what it takes to not be obese. I will make no apologies for that comment because it is true.
AustinAg2K
After watching the trailer, I kind of get why people are concerned, although people should wait and see the show before jumping to conclusions about. This doesn't look to a be story about someone who decided to get healthy and lose weight, so there likely is not a "being healthy" morale to the story. If the show is just putting a pretty girl into a fat suit to get some laughs, then I can see why that's an issue. However, no one who is up in arms has seen the show. People need to at least wait until a full episode comes out before determining if it's offensive.
oragator
First reviews are in and it is getting destroyed.

https://www.thecut.com/amp/2018/08/the-10-most-scathing-reviews-of-netflixs-insatiable.html
beanbean
Somebody needs to tell all those critics that if they aren't a 13-18 year old girl, they need to STFU.
oragator
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/insatiable/s01

6% on RT, so there's that.
Tabasco
AG
Bet they had their reviews written before they even saw it. I'm going to watch it just to be contrarian.
AustinAg2K
I started watching the first episode last night. There really wasn't anything offensive, but it's also not a good show.
jschroeder
She doesn't "take action", she is punched by a homeless guy and her jaw is wired shut.

She later almost rapes that homeless guy.

She also pours vodka all over him with the intent to set him in fire.

The show is trash outside of all of the controversy.
AgShaun00
AG
Tabasco said:

Bet they had their reviews written before they even saw it. I'm going to watch it just to be contrarian.
Me too
AgShaun00
AG
Acting is bad but I want to see how it ends.
FightinTexasAg15
AG
Wife's been watching it so I've seen it in the background. People are getting offended over nothing, the whole show is "satire". They should just be offended by how bad the show is.
TXAGFAN
AG
It's an awful show. I watched 1.5 episodes and that was 1 too many.
Iowaggie
AG
Is there a character in the show named Ravi that has a lizard named Kipling?

I've seen enough.
SteveA
AG
She doesn't almost rape a homeless guy, come on. She does consider setting him on fire. It's a dark comedy.
oragator
Yeah I watched the first episode, the show isn't very good, and I can't relate to the pressures an overweight girl faces.
But the show makes fun of everyone and is purposely over the top - that's the whole point. And if you read online, people are calling for trigger warnings and other foolishness. Society is wayyyyy too thin skinned, if you don't like it, don't watch. I might watch the rest just to give the show extra numbers and make a point.
oragator
Heaven help me but I stuck with it and I actually kinda like this show.

It certainly isn't winning any awards, but it's completely irreverent in its own way. It's good relatively mindless humor.
chick79
AG
I watched the first episode tonight. Thought it was pretty good actually.
TXAGFAN
AG
You guys need to check out "The Package"
Urban Ag
AG
jschroeder said:

She doesn't "take action", she is punched by a homeless guy and her jaw is wired shut.

She later almost rapes that homeless guy.

She also pours vodka all over him with the intent to set him in fire.

The show is trash outside of all of the controversy.
oh get over yourself snowflake. It's pretty damn funny. She definitely has issues, borderline BSC, but so are all the other characters.

This show is very "Vice Principals" like. It's fun. Pipe down.

javajaws
AG
TXAGFAN said:

You guys need to check out "The Package"

Now THAT was a bad movie.

I'm through the first 5 episodes of this and was pleasantly surprised. This isn't a drama...it's a comedy. And IMO at least it's pretty damn funny...they literally make fun of everybody. And if you have a dirty adult mind you'll catch a lot of one liners full of innuendo (That went right over my wife's head)

Then theres the humor in the casting itself: an older and fatter Beverly D'Angelo (think Ellen Griswold) as a vindictive beauty pagent coach.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin
jschroeder
I typically stay out of "snowflake" conversations but what exactly did I say that makes you go that route?

She didn't "take action" like you said, she had her jaw wired shut.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.