Doctor Who trailer w/ easter eggs

8,333 Views | 120 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by PacifistAg
PacifistAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Doctor Who Season 11 teaser Easter eggs are all about Matt Smith

Really looking forward to Whittaker in this role, although I'll miss Capaldi. I wish he had had more time but with better writing.

bearamedic99
AG
i need to get back into DW. I drifted away during season 9
PacifistAg
AG
The first trailer is out! So excited for this to start.

PacifistAg
AG
bearamedic99 said:

i need to get back into DW. I drifted away during season 9
Yeah, I was never a fan of the Capaldi/Clara era. I absolutely love Capaldi in the role, but the writing was sub-par for him, and the chemistry between him and Clara really suffered as a result. Series 9, though, did have some great parts...specifically the Doctor's absolutely phenomenal antiwar speech in The Zygon Inversion. That was really when you see Capaldi become the Doctor. His last series with Bill was far better than the ones with Clara, IMO.
Liquid Wrench

Quote:

Chances are, the BBC wants to let casual viewers know that the show is returning to the fun-loving vibe which the defined the majority of the Matt Smith era from 2010-2013.
Hope so.
PacifistAg
AG
Me too. Matt Smith is my favorite Doctor.
Liquid Wrench
Forgot to set record for the lost episode, but Tom Baker is on my TV screen now.
PacifistAg
AG
Ah, forgot to watch that as well. We're currently going through Classic Who on Britbox. We've just started the Troughton years.
PacifistAg
AG
Fyi, Capaldi and Pearl Mackie are going to be at Austin Wizard World Comic Con on 9/21 & 9/22, in case you're interested.
Liquid Wrench
Watching some of the marathon today as part of the countdown. I always thought I liked Matt Smith better than Tenant, but DT really had some of the best written episodes. The Blood Family 2-parter ends up being a fairly moving tribute to WWI veterans. And of course the first Weeping Angels episode has the timey wimey quote and ends with the don't blink speech. Great stuff.
TheDoctor
AG
LESS THAN A WEEK!

Who's onboard for series 11?

DVC2010
AG
ChiliBeans said:

Watching some of the marathon today as part of the countdown. I always thought I liked Matt Smith better than Tenant, but DT really had some of the best written episodes. The Blood Family 2-parter ends up being a fairly moving tribute to WWI veterans. And of course the first Weeping Angels episode has the timey wimey quote and ends with the don't blink speech. Great stuff.

Human Nature, Family of Blood, and Blink could be my 3 favorite episodes of any season.
PacifistAg
AG
So ready for this! Got to meet Capaldi and Pearl Mackie at Austin Wizard World last week. Was a blast! Ready to see how Whittaker does, although I'm far more confident in her than I am w/ Chibnall.

And I echo your thoughts, ChiliBeans. Matt Smith is my favorite, but Tennant has some of the best episodes of the entire show. Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead, as well as Midnight, are some more fantastic episodes.
Fenrir
I think Matt Smith has the best overall arc, but Tennant has the best singular episodes.
Sapper Redux
I liked Matt Smith, "Vincent and the Doctor" might just be my favorite, as one-off and overall inconsequential as it was, but I loved David Tennant as the Doctor. There was an energy and a gravity in his episodes that I found missing in a lot of the later ones.
PacifistAg
AG
I think Capaldi could have been right up there with Tennant/Smith, with regards to new Who, but the writing was just not good. I never felt the chemistry was good with he and Clara. Had Bill come along a year earlier, I think it would have been so much better. The Clara/Danny Pink storyline was an abomination. I loved the wisdom that Capaldi's Doctor brought to the show. His anti-war speech in The Zygon Inversion may be the single best moment I've seen in classic or new Who.
Post removed:
by user
PacifistAg
AG
CastleRock said:

I haven't seen a single ep, what's the best way to start?

Good question. I'm in the "never skip 9" camp, but also realize that the 9th Doctor (when the show was brought back in 2005) has a low budget, cheesy scifi feel to it that can be hard for some to get into. If you're okay with that, start there and you'll get hooked by The Empty Child episode.

If the low budget, cheesy scifi can be hard for you to get into, start with the next season (10th Doctor- David Tennant). He's an amazing Doctor and probably the most popular ever, with only Tom Baker (4th Doctor from the 1970s) in that discussion.

If you go all the way through, you'll find that you likely hate whoever the next Doctor is. I didn't like Tennant because I loved Eccleston. I didn't like Smith because I fell in love with Tennant. Same with Capaldi after Smith. The more you watch them, especially if you rewatch and rewatch, you'll find you love them all. If you start with 10, definitely go back and watch 9 later. You'll definitely appreciate it, especially after the War Doctor episodes and you realize what #9 just regenerated from.

Then, once you've gone through all of new Who,at least once or twice, go back and start working through classic Who. You can get all those on the BritBox app, well, all the ones that still exist. There's something like 22 seasons of classic who, so that'll take time. My wife and I are slowly working through those.
Liquid Wrench
If you have Amazon Prime, you can pull up the Christmas specials, which give a good sampling of all the modern versions.

The show's a mix of stand-alone episodes and overarching stories with recurring themes/baddies over the years. So it's not like a Breaking Bad or something that you absolutely HAVE to watch in order to worry about things making sense. Kind of like James Bond in a TV series, if that makes sense.

But I was late to the "New Who" party, so not the expert that some of these other posters are, and they may disagree about the need to watch in order. I really just got into it in recent years by picking up random episodes on BBC America before giving it more attention.
PacifistAg
AG
Agreed. Stand alone episodes like Vincent and the Doctor would be a great place to start as well.

http://theuncannynerd.com/best-doctor-who-episodes/

Forgot about The Girl in the Fireplace. Absolutely love that episode!!!
Sapper Redux
CastleRock said:

Start with "Blink" and see if you like the concept. The Doctor is actually not in the episode much, but it's a great introduction to the world and how weird time travel is. You can move on to the two-parter, "The Empty Child" and "The Doctor Dances." It's a creepy plot with a fantastic lens into who the Doctor is and what makes him tick.
Stupe
S
ChiliBeans said:

And of course the first Weeping Angels episode has the timey wimey quote and ends with the don't blink speech. Great stuff.
That episode gave me an honest to goodness nightmare. As in "I had to wake myself up in my dream and didn't go back to sleep even though it was 2:00-2:30 a.m even after I watched three Andy Griffith episodes" nightmares.

One of those nightmares.
jkag89
CastleRock said:

The other episodes mentioned are all great, some of the best the show has to offer but I would start with The Girl in the Fireplace For me this is the perfect introductory episode in that it is a wonderful bittersweet story yet it showcases all the quirkiness of the show while not needing to know any backstory to enjoy thoroughly.

DVC2010
AG
Stupe said:

ChiliBeans said:

And of course the first Weeping Angels episode has the timey wimey quote and ends with the don't blink speech. Great stuff.
That episode gave me an honest to goodness nightmare. As in "I had to wake myself up in my dream and didn't go back to sleep even though it was 2:00-2:30 a.m even after I watched three Andy Griffith episodes" nightmares.

One of those nightmares.

The Silence was way scarier.
jkag89
The Silence are way creepier, but easy to handle as long as you have Professor River Song, Archaeologist at your side.
Liquid Wrench
Some day if I ever have both the time and the attention span, I might try to piece together the River Song episodes in some kind of order. I wonder if they'll somehow bring her back to meet this doctor.
jkag89
I hope so, even if it is just a brief cameo.
Liquid Wrench
The BBC could satisfy both sides of the coin with a good Hello Sweety kiss.
Fenrir
Is there a way to watch the most recent Christmas special? Haven't been able to find it anywhere.
Liquid Wrench
Amazon Prime
PacifistAg
AG
I would love to see River come back, but I just don't see how it would be possible even given the wibbly wobbly nature of time. In Forest of the Dead, River says this as she's about to die:

Quote:

The last time I saw you, the real you, the future you, I mean - you turned up on my doorstep, with a new haircut and a suit. You took me to Darillium to see the singing towers. Oh, what a night that was! The towers sang and you cried.
Obviously, we know that was with Capaldi now, so I can't wrap my brain around how they could have her bump into Whittaker. But man, that would be awesome if they can figure it out.
jkag89
PacifistAg said:

I would love to see River come back, but I just don't see how it would be possible even given the wibbly wobbly nature of time. In Forest of the Dead, River says this as she's about to die:

Quote:

The last time I saw you, the real you, the future you, I mean - you turned up on my doorstep, with a new haircut and a suit. You took me to Darillium to see the singing towers. Oh, what a night that was! The towers sang and you cried.
Obviously, we know that was with Capaldi now, so I can't wrap my brain around how they could have her bump into Whittaker. But man, that would be awesome if they can figure it out.
Well a night on Darillium does last 24 years.
PacifistAg
AG
Man, I loved her reaction when he told her that.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Tom Baker >>>>> David Tenant/Matt Smith >>>>> everyone else.
PacifistAg
AG
Sarduakar said:

Tom Baker >>>>> David Tenant/Matt Smith >>>>> everyone else.
From what I've heard of Baker (still working our way to him), I can't argue that. I'll admit that I came to the Whoniverse very late in the game, so working to catch up.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.