***Godzilla: King of the Monsters***

47,785 Views | 437 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Capitol Ag
Goro Majima
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone else here a fan like me and looking forward to this?

http://ew.com/movies/2018/07/12/godzilla-king-of-the-monsters-first-look/
nickstro66
AG
I'm excited about it. I really enjoyed the first one and Kong. Plus having the classic monsters should make it even better.
Sex Panther
AG
You have to really try to make a movie about a giant monster destroying a city boring as ****, but the first one somehow succeeded and then some.
AGnBCS
AG
I'm all in can't wait to see how they start tying Skull Island in.

Let them fight
Goro Majima
AG
A lot of people have seen me comment on Jurassic World stuff. This is my other big franchise. I shamelessly fanboy'ed out loud at the post credits scene in Kong Skull Island.
Dro07
AG
I don't know how I am just now learning about the end credits to Kong tying in Godzilla... How the hell did i miss this?!
Bruce Almighty
AG
I liked Godzilla, but didn't like Kong. In fact, I don't think I've liked any King Kong movie.
MGS
Rodan more powerful than Godzilla? His only power is to make it really windy.
Goro Majima
AG
Not necessarily. In the Showa series (pretty much any Godzilla movies from the 1950s-70s), he was actually able to match Godzilla blow for blow when they fought.

The movies in the 80s/90s made him more of a speedy monster who couldn't take as much damage, but believe me ... the very early incarnations were strong. He just doesn't have atomic breath.
TCTTS
AG
Had the first movie not killed off Cranston half way through, it might have had a legit shot at blockbuster masterpiece status. Anything to take screen time away from Aaron Taylor-Johnson, who is usually fairly decent, but was flat as can be and had absolutely nothing to work with in terms of character. I get why, on paper, they chose to focus on the young soldier as the lead, but if ever a movie needed a re-write on the fly, this was it. Should have been Cranston's movie through and through, with Taylor-Johnson in more of a supporting role.

That said, I actually really dug the methodical pace and nearly everything having to do with Godzilla and the other two monsters. That scene where one passed the nuclear warhead off to the other - like a mother bird feeding her baby - was stunningly, hauntingly cool. Just a lot of great moments all around, but nothing to anchor them on the human side of things after inexplicably killing off one of the greatest working actors today.

Still, I'm really looking forward to this one. It's got a fantastic cast - shockingly so - and hopefully they can build on the great monster work the first go around with actual emotional stakes this time.
TCTTS
AG
Also, it's looking like we'll be getting the first trailer on Saturday during WB's Comic-Con panel. It might be a Hall H exclusive, but I'd be surprised if they don't release it online as well.
John Matrix
AG
In my opinion, this is legitimately the 2nd best "cinematic universe",( not sure if Fast and Furious qualifies yet), behind Marvel. Both films so far have been really solid, (bland lead in Godzilla aside.) as someone who loved Godzilla as a kid, it's really great to see an American studio treat the franchise with the weird respect it deserves. Plus, it will just never be not cool to watch monsters destroy stuff.
rhutton125
AG
I was underwhelmed with Skull Island. With that cast, it should have been way better than it was. So many unearned moments - grizzled vet sacrifices himself for a comrade but they've each had 3 lines of dialogue, etc.

It had a badass trailer though!
FancyKetchup14
AG
The HALO jump in the film was pretty kickass, too.

ETA the link
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Godzilla was awesome.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
There is one thing in my life that I have loved longer than Star Wars, and that is Godzilla.

When I was 3, I got into some serious trouble with my mom when I took to recreating a scene from King Kong versus Godzilla (two monsters fighting) on a white wall in the hall outside my bedroom in crayon.

My dad took me when I was 5 to the old Meyerland theater to see Godzilla versus the Smog Monster, the first I got to see on a big screen. A couple of years or so later, my mom took me to see Godzilla versus Megalon at the Shamrock theater in Houston. On a day in 1977, I threw a fit when my dad would not let me stay for a second showing of Godzilla versus Mechagodzilla (and I deserved every swat that day). In high school, I dragged a girl friend to see Godzilla 1985, and was rewarded with the cartoon short, Godzilla versus Bambi.

The Matthew Broderick movie is not Godzilla - it is instead a movie about a mutated iguana that has a chin like Jay Leno's and has an ending sequence in Madison Square Garden that looks like it was cut from Aliens.

The 2014 Godzilla movie was fantastic. I really enjoyed the MUTO creatures, and I liked the new look of Godzilla. The cast was decent, but Cranston should have had a bigger role.

Kong: Skull Island was decent, but really the only thing that I've taken from that one was the Marvel-esque end credit sequence that gave us cave drawings of Godzilla, Rodin, Mothra, and King Gidhra, with the classic Godzilla roar. I seriously cannot wait for this new Godzilla movie, and even more so, the one that will follow - Godzilla versus Kong, or whatever they are calling it.
Goro Majima
AG
That's Gareth Edwards' style. It's not overly bombastic. Honestly, I liked Kong Skull Island better as a straight up monster movie, but Godzilla worked really well.
Goro Majima
AG
I've been a Jurassic Park/Godzilla fan since I was like 5. We were actually supposed to get Godzilla KOTM last month but it got delayed. If a new Jurassic World and Godzilla movie dropped in the same month, I'd freak.
Goro Majima
AG
They did the same thing with Kong Skull Island in 2016. I'd absolutely expect it to drop online sometime Saturday.
Urban Ag
AG
Sex Panther said:

You have to really try to make a movie about a giant monster destroying a city boring as ****, but the first one somehow succeeded and then some.
this. Damn that movie was boring.
AGnBCS
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

There is one thing in my life that I have loved longer than Star Wars, and that is Godzilla.

When I was 3, I got into some serious trouble with my mom when I took to recreating a scene from King Kong versus Godzilla (two monsters fighting) on a white wall in the hall outside my bedroom in crayon.

My dad took me when I was 5 to the old Meyerland theater to see Godzilla versus the Smog Monster, the first I got to see on a big screen. A couple of years or so later, my mom took me to see Godzilla versus Megalon at the Shamrock theater in Houston. On a day in 1977, I threw a fit when my dad would not let me stay for a second showing of Godzilla versus Mechagodzilla (and I deserved every swat that day). In high school, I dragged a girl friend to see Godzilla 1985, and was rewarded with the cartoon short, Godzilla versus Bambi.

The Matthew Broderick movie is not Godzilla - it is instead a movie about a mutated iguana that has a chin like Jay Leno's and has an ending sequence in Madison Square Garden that looks like it was cut from Aliens.

The 2014 Godzilla movie was fantastic. I really enjoyed the MUTO creatures, and I liked the new look of Godzilla. The cast was decent, but Cranston should have had a bigger role.

Kong: Skull Island was decent, but really the only thing that I've taken from that one was the Marvel-esque end credit sequence that gave us cave drawings of Godzilla, Rodin, Mothra, and King Gidhra, with the classic Godzilla roar. I seriously cannot wait for this new Godzilla movie, and even more so, the one that will follow - Godzilla versus Kong, or whatever they are calling it.

Sounds much like my Saturdays in the late 70's ( replace Meyerland with Victoria )

I wholeheartedly approve this entire post.
Goro Majima
AG
Spilner!
TCTTS
AG
Ahead of Saturday's trailer...

Solo Tetherball Champ
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

I grew up on Godzilla.

When I was about 7 or 8 I had strep and my Mom went to blockbuster (RIP) and rented Godzilla 1985. All of the Godzilla movies before this were much more lighthearted . So I am watching this movie shocked as this mean, menacing giant lizard attacks and kills everything. At the end when they "killed" Godzilla by trapping him in the volcano, I legitimately cried inconsolably for the next hour or so, which prompted my Mom to run back to Blockbuster and rent Godzilla vs Biollante, which starts with Godzilla escaping from the volcano.

So yeah... whether it is good, bad, or a man in rubber Suit.... wherever Godzilla goes I won't be far behind.
TCTTS
AG

TCTTS
AG
That cast...
Max Power
AG
If O'Shea Jackson Jr. isn't playing young Ice Cube it will be a let down. That being said I legit enjoyed the film that Gareth Edwards put together. I wish they just let him do the rest of the Godzilla films. Star Wars gave Rian Johnson a trilogy based off The Last Jedi and Rogue One is the most enjoyable Star Wars film in recent years. I wish he was in control of the Godzilla film universe.
Solo Tetherball Champ
TCTTS said:

Am I the only one slightly annoyed at "Their Reign Begins"? Shouldn't it be "His Reign Begins" since Godzilla is the King? yeah yeah, grammar Nazi.
TCTTS
AG
Pretty sure there are multiple monsters in this. And then it's Godzilla vs Kong after that. THEIR reign will be for years to come. Seems accurate to me.
DB Coach
AG
AggieTurok said:

I've been a Jurassic Park/Godzilla fan since I was like 5. We were actually supposed to get Godzilla KOTM last month but it got delayed. If a new Jurassic World and Godzilla movie dropped in the same month, I'd freak.
handle checks out
dcaggie04
AG
http://www.monarchsciences.com
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Bring Cranston back. I don't care how.
MGS
dcaggie04 said:

Holy crap - Rodan's from an island in the gulf not far from Texas.

Quetzalcoatl?
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
MGS said:

dcaggie04 said:

Holy crap - Rodan's from an island in the gulf not far from Texas.

Quetzalcoatl?

Monster Zero found in Antarctica. Cool!
AGnBCS
AG
I can't wait see the look of these monsters . Mothra and Rodan have huge potential to look cool modernized . Not sure how a three headed dragon looks anything but hokey albeit cool AF .

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.