Three Identical Strangers

5,230 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by expresswrittenconsent
Know Your Enemy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Great documentary about triplets who were adopted separately at birth as part of a research project with none of them or their adopted families knowing anything about it. Would be hard to believe if it wasn't true. Highly recommend it.
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
On which outlet might one find this documentary?
Know Your Enemy
AG
A little thing called "the movie theater".
BEaggie08
AG
Fuzzy Dunlop said:

On which outlet might one find this documentary?
Looks like its in theaters now.
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
Junkhead said:

Thanks! Hadn't heard of it and thought it may be on Netflix. I'll wait until it hits Amazon or Netflix.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
My favorite part is how #3 gets many more effeminate qualities. The scene where Andy McDowell seduces him is hilarious.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Fuzzy Dunlop said:

Junkhead said:

Thanks! Hadn't heard of it and thought it may be on Netflix. I'll wait until it hits Amazon or Netflix.
It was on the festival circuit this spring and I had a friend tell me about it so I was anxiously awaiting its "wide" release. Think it just hit recently so it may be a while before it gets to the streaming services.
TCTTS
AG
Holy sh*t. This was phenomenal. Just endlessly fascinating, with so many crazy twists and turns. It wasn't really on my radar - I had seen only a few positive reactions on Twitter - but this thread reminded me of it, then the 94% RT score convinced me to see it. So incredibly glad I did. It's funny, heartbreaking, and even somewhat profound. Best documentary I've seen in quite some time. Absolutely seek it out if you can.
TCTTS
AG
I seriously cannot stop thinking about this movie.

That is all.
Know Your Enemy
AG
TCTTS said:

I seriously cannot stop thinking about this movie.

That is all.

Yeah, I've found myself telling everyone I know about it.
TCTTS
AG
Ha, same. I've texted a bunch of family and friends in the past hour or so, telling them to see it. And NOT to watch the trailer beforehand. I hadn't seen the trailer prior to the movie, just watched it, and it definitely gives too much a way. Even though there's a still a decent amount it doesn't touch.
AggieOO
Just got out of it. Very interesting. I quite enjoyed it, holy crap, what a f-ed up thing to do to people.

Wife seems to be having a hard time with it, but she's a twin...
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Pretty good.
TCTTS
AG
TxKng82
AG
Yelnick McWawa said:

My favorite part is how #3 gets many more effeminate qualities. The scene where Andy McDowell seduces him is hilarious.

Underrated movie
FTACO97
AG
So let me get this straight....there are triplets that are born and then each 1 is given to a different set of parents without the parents knowing...what about the original mother who thought she was having triplets? Did she then end up with 3 different kids where none of them were hers biologically? I know, see the movie....

----ok, just watched the trailer. I was picturing some kind of shuffle where Mom #1 still ended up with 3. Sounds like she didn't know she was pregnant with 3 and was only given 1.

Don't typically go to the movies for a documentary, but with MoviePass I might just go see this one.
Know Your Enemy
AG
The birth mother gave all 3 up for adoption. The adoption agency decided to use the kids as guinea pigs and intentionally placed them with different families while continuing to study them. NO ONE had any idea that they were triplets, except for, I assume, the BM who had nothing to do with them after birth.
Hollabeck
This is out on Amazon now. Watched it tonight based on rave reviews here and was not disappointed. Check it out if you haven't seen it.
AgHawkeye
AG
Yelnick McWawa said:

She touched my Pepe Steve.
Tabasco
AG
Not sure how I missed this. Very intrigued and will need to check it out
chiken
AG
Just finished the documentary. I don't know how I missed the lack of Eddie talking in the beginning. Maybe because there was so much else being thrown at you.

I believe I studied about this in my psych courses. Not this "case" in particular, but some of of the eff'd up human studies done on children and twins for the sake of nature vs nurture.

And by the way, the kids and movie maker clearly had someone they blamed for one of the kids decisions at the end. Did y'all notice that?
Hollabeck
That aspect turned me off a bit. They took a really complicated issue and tried to tie things up with a simplistic explanation. Felt like it derailed the ending.
Know Your Enemy
AG
chiken said:

Just finished the documentary. I don't know how I missed the lack of Eddie talking in the beginning. Maybe because there was so much else being thrown at you.
I noticed it but I was thinking maybe he just didn't want to participate Or maybe that he died of natural causes.
The Anchor
AG
I just watched this. What a great documentary. It was much darker than I expected. As a father of twins I couldn't imagine what those guys went through.
Philo B 93
I'll check it out. Probably watch it with my triplets. Would it be okay to watch with young teens?
The Anchor
AG
There was some minor cursing and talk about sex and drugs. But, nothing major. It is a dark documentary that really makes you wonder about humanity (not in a good way). I will leave it at that since anything more may ruin parts of it.
rynning
AG
Just finished it. Great take on nature vs. nurture. (You think nature is winning, then you realize they just made the case for nurture in the last 20 minutes.) Plus it had the intrigue of the study being protected by "powerful people" which they didn't dive as far into that as I hoped. Kudos for finding the old folks who were connected to the study and getting their (self-protecting) perspectives.

If you like documentaries, you'll like this one. Better than most, though I wouldn't put it up there with Magnus or What Happened Miss Simone?.

TresPuertas
AG
Just finished this and it's pretty infuriating honestly.

I knew nothing in terms of story going in and it's a pretty sharp roller coaster ride. I didn't see any of the sinister stuff coming, so it came as a shock to say he least. Seeing the first act unfold it's completely believable to see how they could make a documentary about 3 brothers finding each other and making a life but after that the fun just ends.

And I didn't see it mentioned here, but that old lady research assistant who lives in La Jolla needs to be punched in the face. I know she's old as hell but her complete lack of remorse, all the way up to the end where she didn't seem to care that there are still people out there not knowing they had a twin, made me wish for something very painful to happen to her.
expresswrittenconsent
I heard about this when it was in theatres but never got to see it.
FYI if you're wanting to watch it but dont want to drop $3 to stream, it is airing on CNN this Saturday (2.2) night at 8 and 10.
gigemJTH12
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

I heard about this when it was in theatres but never got to see it.
FYI if you're wanting to watch it but dont want to drop $3 to stream, it is airing on CNN this Saturday (2.2) night at 8 and 10.
noted
schmendeler
AG
watched it last night. very well done. felt bad for the old man at the end.
double aught
AG
Really interesting documentary.

Also, two more twins have discovered one another after seeing the film. What an effed up thing to do to people.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2019/01/24/health/three-identical-strangers-twins-reunited/index.html
dcAg
It was interesting but far from phenomenal IMO. Worth watching.
Complete Idiot
Saw it on a flight last week and enjoyed it, didn't get too excited because, you know, flight movie. But was describing it to someone just yesterday and found myself going on for way too long, a sign I was pretty into it and there were a lot of interesting points raised. The mystery of what's in the files, not to be revealed until 2066, makes it all the more intriguing .
expresswrittenconsent
Finally watched. Just heartbreaking.

What was the "alleged murder" one of the boys was accused of before they met each other in 1980?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.