Question about terrible movies

1,460 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by schmendeler
Ulrich
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm watching 300: Rise of an Empire. Stop laughing.

It's bad, really bad. It opens with a 12 minute exposition voiceover. Cliches and CGI blood are present in equal proportion. I just watched the Persians attack downhill... in a naval battle. There are a ton of moments that are clearly ripped straight out of the original 300. The characters are simple and dull. Now I'm not saying I could do better, but there are some mistakes present that I wouldn't make.

I know this is mostly a vehicle for FX and gore and cool visuals, but it didn't have to be this bad. It had a 100 million dollar budget, presumably given to people who have dedicated their lives to writing, producing, and directing movies. How did they come up with THIS? How does that happen?
Duncan Idaho
Honest answer.

Option contracts and the black-scholes equation.

It is actually a pretty common case in business schools.

Ulrich
I hadn't thought of it like that. It explains why projects would get green lit when maybe they shouldn't, but still leaves the question of why the people actually constructing the movie turn out something that bad. Are they given a very short timeline or something?
bearamedic99
AG
I just watched it for Eva Green.
Duncan Idaho
Reaf about blumhouse's use of a portfolio model. It is pretty interesting I'd you like the finance.

Steadicam used to have some great stories about the financing for the movies he worked on.

The biggest difference between bad cgi and good cgi is rendering time (i.e. money)
John Matrix
AG
Honestly, it's jsut really freaking hard to make a great movie. I'm no industry insider, but being a film director requires that you be a business manager, psychologist, talent scout, etc. while stroking egos and appeasing studio executives. There appears to be a lot of cooks in the kitchen, and it's real easy to burn the food. Sometimes, it's easier to just take executive studio notes and put out some piece of crap out because it's guaranteed to make money.
Quad Dog
AG
I still believe the Hollywood conspiracy that some movies are designed to fail by the higher ups as a tax write-off.
schmendeler
AG
I think in some cases they don't realize the sum of all the million parts they have been focusing on for months is crap until it's all finished and they see what they have and by then it's too late.
Al Bula
AG
Quad Dog said:

I still believe the Hollywood conspiracy that some movies are designed to fail by the higher ups as a tax write-off.
Absolutely. Movies are also a great way to launder money too.
Duncan Idaho
RPM said:

Quad Dog said:

Absolutely. Movies are also a great way to launder money too.

Don't forget the movies that are made because some dude wants to get laid.
Duncan Idaho
schmendeler said:

I think in some cases they don't realize the sum of all the million parts they have been focusing on for months is crap until it's all finished and they see what they have and by then it's too late.

If you are talking about the guys in the trenches, this is very spot on. The guy render out a cgi scene is doing his job to get done what needs to be done to get the best thing he can with the time and tools given. And most of them just view it as a job.
You want me to put the light where? Ok, your the boss.

Who wrote this crap? (Says line as told)

Much like the Jews running Hollywood, there are only 3 or 4 people on a movie crew that really understand what the end vision actually is.

(Sadly needed disclaimer: that was a joke aimed at certain posters.)
BBRex
AG
schmendeler said:

So, the British sports car model?
Render
AG
Big blockbusters try to appeal to the average intelligence, since it has the most people on the bell curve. Or put another way, since most people are average they make the movie average. Since the movie was created with average quality in mind on its inception, when it runs into production turbulence it'll lower the quality even more.

And by "average quality", I mean shallow characters, weak plots, and action scenes that break, not bend, suspension of disbelief.
schmendeler
AG
BBRex said:

schmendeler said:

ha, sounds about right.
Duncan Idaho
schmendeler said:

BBRex said:

schmendeler said:

ha, sounds about right.

Fake news.

Few things on the road are as good looking and as much fun to drive as a british sports car.

GiveEmHellBill
AG
Very few studios can really do anything about a movie being made once it's filming when they realize it's a stinker.

Most often, a director will get shut out of the editing room and the studio will send in their own editors in a desperate attempt to salvage what they can.

Right now, only one studio can afford to scrap a mostly-completed film and start basically over, and that's Disney (Solo, anyone?). They cared enough about their brand that they spent almost a total of $300 million for that one film. Most studios would just say "f*** it" and re-edit it and dump it in theaters.
Flashdiaz
AG
I blame international markets (China)...
schmendeler
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

schmendeler said:

BBRex said:

schmendeler said:

ha, sounds about right.

Fake news.

Few things on the road are as good looking and as much fun to drive as a british sports car.

as long as they stay running, that is. that's what I took him to mean.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.