Damn. Vinnie Paul is dead.

3,829 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by 62strat
Know Your Enemy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Shocking.
Know Your Enemy
AG
https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/obituary/8462386/vinnie-paul-dead-pantera-damageplan-hellyeah
jetch17
FTA03
AG
Here
beanbean
Very tragic for his family. I'm guessing one or both of his parents are still alive and now 2 of their kids have died.
Know Your Enemy
AG
brucoh said:

Very tragic for his family. I'm guessing one or both of his parents are still alive and now 2 of their kids have died.

His mom is dead but his dad is still alive.
Street_Cred_Norm
Such a nice guy. Met him several times at Stars games.
If your child grows up to be a Liberal, you've failed as a parent.
digging tunnels
AG
Another fav of mine gone
superunknown
AG
Dang, now i want a Black tooth grin in his honor
IJones23
Sad day for metal fans.
62strat
AG
I wonder if it's suicide. Dude saw his little bro get
Murdered on stage, I don't know how you could ever get over that.
Rip pantera forever. Always thought they may do a revival show or two with zakk on guitar.

I distinctly remember getting far beyond driven the day it came out. I was in middle school.
astros4545
Know Your Enemy
AG
Not a suicide. Talked to a longtime friend and they believe it was a heart attack.
Echoes97
AG
Fahhhhhhhkkkk.
Us And Them - The Pink Floyd Experience
http://www.usandthemband.net
Max Power
AG
Vulgar Display of Power and Far Beyond Driven are two of my all time favorites. No band ever sounded like Pantera because he and Dimebag were so unique. Their post-Pantera bands were an abomination though.
Crap.

That they all didn't die of alcohol poisoning or drugs during their Pantera touring days is a miracle. I guess it caught up to Vinnie Paul.

He seemed like a real nice guy.

Wish I could have watched them record "Slaughtered".
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Dang...

Grew up on those guys. Dimebag s death was a real gut shot. (Happened night if listeater incident,) made for a real crappy day. My brother and I had the vulgar videos (VHS) and would watch those weekly and just dream how kick butt it must be to be in a metal band on the road.
PLUM LOCO
AG
So sad...
jokershady
AG
Saw this news yesterday. Immediately thought of his little bro getting killed 13 years ago.

This sucks.
beanbean
I remember hearing this when it came out in the early 90's and thinking it was the heaviest thing I'd ever heard. This whole album was such a punch in gut when it came out.

And this...harder than anything at the time.

Echoes97
AG
brucoh said:

I remember hearing this when it came out in the early 90's and thinking it was the heaviest thing I'd ever heard. This whole album was is such a punch in gut

And this...harder than anything at the time. ever.

FIFY!
Us And Them - The Pink Floyd Experience
http://www.usandthemband.net
Mike Elko
AG
I'm Broken.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Just double checked the listeater story and that actually happened the day after Dime was murdered. Not that it really matters. Dime was murdered on December 8, as was John Lennon.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Junkhead said:

Just double checked the listeater story and that actually happened the day after Dime was murdered. Not that it really matters. Dime was murdered on December 8, as was John Lennon.

Ya, technically that is correct. I was in line for the list eater incident, and came back to the dorm after finally pulling my cotton bowl tickets. Turned on news and saw the headlines of shooting at concert. Vinnienpaul wounded and in hospital and dimebag dead. Was all a blur due to being up all night for my shift in line (the line that got "eaten" incidentally).

I still equate it all to same day. But I guess he was shot before midnight and listeater ate the list next morning.

ETA: if you watch the news video... you'll see a really skinny me in a billabongs hoodie...

About the 6:50 mark.
62strat
AG
SoulSlaveAG2005 said:

Dang...

Grew up on those guys. Dimebag s death was a real gut shot. (Happened night if listeater incident,) made for a real crappy day. My brother and I had the vulgar videos (VHS) and would watch those weekly and just dream how kick butt it must be to be in a metal band on the road.

Always loved the Type O video, where thy are touring with pantera, and while they are playing Peter comes out onstage with a broom and is sweeping the stage.

Just a bunch of normal dudes being themselves, doing what they do, but in front of a few thousand people. No egos, no expectations.
62strat
AG
Hah.

Zombie Jon Snow
AG
I know they were from Arlington - anyone know where Vinnie and Darrel went to HS?

I ask because the death of Vinnie got posted on the Arlington Lamar memorial webpage. Would have been before my time but I was not aware if they specifically were Lamar grads?

agchino
AG
Well they grew up in Arlington and lived there their whole lives.

All the Pantera albums were made a Dimebags house in Pantego, and Vinnie had a big house in north Arlington. Dimebag is buried over by the hospital.

Not sure which high school they went to though, Lamar is certainly plausible.
Al Bula
AG
Looks like this Chelsey Yeager chick is his girl friend.

Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Well apparently it was Arlington Bowie High School. Of course Bowie closed after 82 or 83 I think but was reopened years later in another location. So Vinnie would have graduated in 81... but Darrel would have had to transfer. He was class of 1984 and I know several '84 guys that had been at Bowie. They let those class of 84 students choose between the other 4 high schools. Most went Sam Houston as it was close, some to Arlington and a few to Lamar. Nobody went to Martin the new school because they were pissed at losing Bowie... anyway....

So I still don't know where Darrell finished in 84.

Found this Observer article on their beginnings.

http://www.dallasobserver.com/music/remembering-dimebag-darrell-10-years-later-7049759

Quote:

Brown and Taylor had known Dimebag since they attended Bowie High School in Arlington, a breeding ground for the local metal scene in the early '80s. Brown played tuba in the school band with Dimebag's older brother Vinnie Paul, who was a percussionist in drum line. Taylor knew Dimebag as the "guitar guy," and he knew Taylor as the "picture-taking kid."
Know Your Enemy
AG
They'd been together for about 4-5 years.
TresPuertas
AG
If anyone in Dallas has been to a Stars game and you've inevitably seen him there. That guy was ALWAYS being approached by fans and every time he did he handled himself with kindness and class, ALWAYS willing to take a picture or sign an autograph.

Funny side story, this past season myself and my brother and I were standing on the 2nd level of the Platinum club and he and his girlfriend(s) game and sat in front of us. Seeing him there a bunch before it wasn't a big deal to us so we let him be and didn't say anything. But people kept coming up to him (like always) and asking him for pics, and one dude even brought him a shot, (which he respectfully threw away, only after the guy had left). Anyway, after about 20 minutes of this, he kind of turns around in our direction and my brother says to him "remind me never to get famous"

He laughs and says: you have NO IDEA.

The guy will be missed.
Know Your Enemy
AG
http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/report-vinnie-paul-suffered-major-heart-attack/
62strat
AG
RPM said:

Looks like this Chelsey Yeager chick is his girl friend.

Dang.. She was 5 when cowboys from hell came out. Go Vinnie!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.