***** Luke Cage - Season Two - All In (spoilers in here) *****

3,060 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by fig96
SeattleAgJr
How long do you want to ignore this user?
in case anyone is watching. I am starting tomorrow.

I still have not finished JJ S2. My enthusiasm for the Netflix shows is seriously waning, but hoping this one will at least reflect the first half of S1.
rhutton125
AG
I liked episode one so far. Relatively intriguing and the action parts were decent.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
SeattleAgJr said:

in case anyone is watching. I am starting tomorrow.

I still have not finished JJ S2. My enthusiasm for the Netflix shows is seriously waning, but hoping this one will at least reflect the first half of S1.

I don't know how anybody could have finished JJ S2. It was so boring.
rhutton125
AG
I liked the first half of JJ S2, slow though it was, but I really didn't like the decision to (big spoiler) bring the mom back from the dead and have that be pretty much the only storyline. No cases or villains really, just Super Mom.

Here's hoping LC season 2 doesn't leave such a bad taste in my mouth.
Madmarttigan
AG
I had no idea Luke cage had a season 2 coming or already out
Formerly tv1113
Trident 88
AG
Disappointed to see Shades again. That actor wasn't very good in Sons of Anarchy, but he's completely miscast in this role.
Duncan Idaho
The get the music right on this show.

Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Gary Clark Jr. in episode 2.
SeattleAgJr
I am disappointed they don't continue the Jessica Jones relationship, and instead are playing to same race expectations. That is one thing that can make both Luke Cage and Jessica Jones interesting is to have the relationship they have in the comics.
rhutton125
AG
9 episodes in and I'm quite enjoying it still. Mariah is BSC and it's pretty great. The dialogue, acting and action are much improved from season 1.
swimmerbabe11
Trident 88 said:

Disappointed to see Shades again. That actor wasn't very good in Sons of Anarchy, but he's completely miscast in this role.

hrmph. I like him.

I'm enjoying the shades/mariah storyline, but I don't feel like I understand why Luke is so pissy this seeason. (Im starting episode 4 now)
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Really liking IF more this time around. Instead of the whiny brat he has been, he is much more of the zen badass I was expecting him to be.
swimmerbabe11
Champ Bailey said:

Really liking IF more this time around. Instead of the whiny brat he has been, he is much more of the zen badass I was expecting him to be.

holy crap was just coming here to say that.
So so so much better. I haven't wanted him to be locked in a closet once yet.
SeattleAgJr
I just can't do it. Just like with Jessica Jones season 2 I got a few episodes into the way and then just said f*** it I don't care about these characters anymore I'm not interested in what happens.

I think these shows need to be 8 episodes maximum.
swimmerbabe11
I've actually enjoyed this season..but I really wish that they would do more "fun" one off episodes. Danny and Luke go on an adventure. DW and Luke do something ridiculous. Solve a problem that's fun to watch and doesn't necessarily contribute to the overarching story lines.

I'd much rather that instead of making it a short 8 episodes like the majority of people on here seem to keep saying
swimmerbabe11
I am finishing it up right now.

I really really enjoyed mariah/shades storyline. My only problem with Shades is that I never buy that english isn't his first language. I don't ever see him and think "yeah that dude is super puerto rican"

I also like the italian lady. she should have been introduced earlier.

If Danny can be like he was in the episode he was in, I'm down for another season. Also, his girlfriend is always a welcome delight anytime she wants to, I have a total crush on her.

I kinda 'ship mariah and bushmaster
swimmerbabe11
leaving d dub behind in the barber shop broke my heart a little
rhutton125
AG
Alright, season complete. I quite enjoyed it overall. I thought the dialogue, acting and action were generally head and shoulders above season 1. There are some awkward moments from time to time but way better overall, IMO.

As a side note, I may be the only one who doesn't think "the first half of season 1 was great, but then..." - I think the first 5 episodes of S1 were generally boring and repetitive. A lot of "stay out of my way or I'll kill you" and then Cottonmouth doing his laugh and ignoring it.

So it may take ~3 episodes to get going this time, but I thought it was worth it overall. I thought Bushmaster and Mariah were superior to Cottonmouth as antagonists.

Some quick hits, with spoilers marked.

- Mariah is BSC and I love it. Love to hate her. I saw one reviewer say her performance is "uneven" and I guess it can be, but her character will go from slang and calling someone a N in one scene, to talking to reporters about Harlem and what it means to America, to putting out a hit on someone, sometimes back to back to back. She's crazy as hell and I love it. It's like in Season 1 where she's fake crying for Cornell, then Misty calls her on it and Mariah calls Misty a trick.

- I thought they handled guest appearances perfectly. Colleen Wing for one episode(s), Foggy Nelson for one episode(s), a much-improved Iron Fist for one episode(s). Even a one-episode flashback series with Scarfe was solid - stronger performance than anything he did in S1. Shook things up from time to time, but also for the right amount of time without being a huge detour or feeling obligatory.

- The fights may not be quite Daredevil level but they stepped up their game for sure. Bushmaster especially is a treat to watch, but Luke isn't a slouch either. And Misty does well also.

- I actually kinda like Shades, and I thought he had a good part this season. A lot less "silently 'intimidating' with silly sunglasses" than in S1.

- Overall, I'd say...
DD1 > DD2 > JJ1=LC2=Punisher >> Defenders >> LC1 >>> JJ2 >>>>>>>>>>> IF1

Much-improved, and looking forward to IF S2 and DD S3 news from Comic Con.
coldmoose
Finished it. I thought that it was strong.
rhutton125
AG
Forgot to mention that this season has my favorite Easter egg of maybe anything ever.

Where's my money, honey?
swimmerbabe11
In the spoiler of that post, I meant to say
mariah's daughter and bushmaster
fightinags2013
AG
The long drawn out musical numbers almost every episode get repetitive
PatAg
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

I've actually enjoyed this season..but I really wish that they would do more "fun" one off episodes. Danny and Luke go on an adventure. DW and Luke do something ridiculous. Solve a problem that's fun to watch and doesn't necessarily contribute to the overarching story lines.

I'd much rather that instead of making it a short 8 episodes like the majority of people on here seem to keep saying
You also like Shades and thought season one was good.
rhutton125
AG
...that was kind of an a-hole response. Does any of that invalidate their opinion for what they'd like to see for season 3?
swimmerbabe11
I thought it had flaws, but yeah.. I enjoyed it.

I just dont think the cure for these shows is to condense them into three episodes. Especially JJ. Jones could be a really fun detective show that also has an arching story line.

The crossovers with LC are super fun...so we know they could have some fun with his character.
bigtruckguy3500
I thought the season was overall good. Can't really remember what I thought about season 1, but this may have been better.
The Debt
I'm on episode 12. Why is it that I'm rooting for bushmaster every fight?
ramblin_ag02
AG
Just finished this up and was seriously impressed. I didn't hate the end of last season like most, but this season was as good as the early season 1 episodes all the way through.

All in all, I really like what they are doing with the Netflix shows this year. JJ2 and LC2 both are character-driven dramas with copious shades of gray coming from both the heroes and the villains. It's a far cry from the "good guy beats up bad guy" trope of comics, and even a far cry from the Marvel movies.

I was still really annoyed by Iron Fist, but it wasn't as bad as last time. They seriously upped their game on his fight scenes though. I actually believed that IF was a badass for a minute.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
91_Aggie
AG
This season was a hot mess.

All over the place.

They seriously need to either:
1) Stop Forcing so many episodes, or
2) Tighten each episode down to 43 minutes or so

Got so bored with some of the conversations.

Some random guy who just met Luke telling him "You aren't like Bushmaster, you internalize your anger and that is bad".

Didn't need the Iron Fist guy... dumb philosophy lessons that were just platitudes.

Misty being hit by Bushmaster, flying 10 feet backwards and hitting a wall and then just getting up again.

And wow, Alfre Woodward... that was a lot of bad acting.

redline248
AG
I liked the season, even if the show doesn't have any candidates for best actor. I wouldn't call Mariah bad acting as much as over acting. Which might be part of the character. That Nandi chick was the worst actor in the show. Shades is a pretty interesting character, but the actor doesn't do a great job. Misty has 2 modes only, hard ass and sad sack, and her sad sack isn't believable.

Ok, got that out of the way. The story was pretty good. Bushmaster was an A villain, for me. Tilda is fine af.

They never reconciled Luke's anger, and I'm not a fan of where they left him. Definitely not a fan of them taking Claire out of the show. It's like they knew Luke wasn't going to learn any lesson so there we no point in having them go through that song and dance every other episode, like Arrow and Felicity.

Does Marvel always take a character that starts out good and make them a villain?
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
redline248 said:

I liked the season, even if the show doesn't have any candidates for best actor. I wouldn't call Mariah bad acting as much as over acting. Which might be part of the character. That Nandi chick was the worst actor in the show. Shades is a pretty interesting character, but the actor doesn't do a great job. Misty has 2 modes only, hard ass and sad sack, and her sad sack isn't believable.

Ok, got that out of the way. The story was pretty good. Bushmaster was an A villain, for me. Tilda is fine af.

They never reconciled Luke's anger, and I'm not a fan of where they left him. Definitely not a fan of them taking Claire out of the show. It's like they knew Luke wasn't going to learn any lesson so there we no point in having them go through that song and dance every other episode, like Arrow and Felicity.

Does Marvel always take a character that starts out good and make them a villain?

Wasn't Kilgrave always a dick?
redline248
AG
Yes, but I'm talking about Davos and the sister from IF, Tilda in Luke Cage, etc

It was mostly rhetorical, though
FTACO97
AG
I'm on episode 4 so I'm avoiding other posts here. But WTH is up with the relationship between Shades and Mariah? It's disgusting. She's old enough to be his grandmother.
Sooper Jeenyus
AG
I know... Actually turned my head more than a couple times from that ish.

Let's see what you think about the OTHER relationship when you get there.
texasaggie04
AG
fightinags2013 said:

The long drawn out musical numbers almost every episode get repetitive

Except the blues player on episode 4 ("Kingfish" Ingram). That guy can wail.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.