What are the 5 scariest movies you've seen?

8,407 Views | 106 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by wreckt01
rdselman95
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I saw Hereditary this week and it made me think what my top 5 scariest movies.

For me, the scariest 5 movies are...

1) The Woman in Black
2) Poltergeist
3) Conjuring 2
4) The Exorcist
5) Nightmare on Elm Street (probably would be pretty funny now, but at the time, was pretty scary)
Texmid
AG
I would have The Ring on my list and remove The Woman in Black.
Cancelled
AG
In no Order:

No country for old men
Amityville horror (original)
Rosemarys baby
Prince of Darkness
Exorcist
Ag_07
AG
The Shining
The Ring
Strangers
Prisoners
Jeeper Creepers (when I first saw it but not so much now)
rdselman95
AG
I forgot about Prince of Darkness. Had Alice Cooper in it. That was a creepy movie.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
The Exorcist - still freaks me the f*** out to this day. Genuinely the scariest movie I've seen.

Halloween - one of the first scary movies I ever saw. So many iconic images in it.

The Blair Witch Project - Controversial pick for many here I'm sure, but I defend it because when it came out it was like nothing ever seen before. Multiple viewings lessen it's impact, but seeing it in a packed theater opening night was an experience. The genuine dread I felt each time night fell and the hair on my arms standing up during some scenes....loved it. it's not so much scary today, but at the time...

Poltergeist - saw this in the theater when I was about 10-11. The f-ing clown, the swimming pool, the meat on the counter. This movie made me love being scared.

Those are my big four. I can't really narrow down a fifth, but there are some honorable mentions:

Texas Chainsaw Massacre (I had to stop the VHS tape several times during my first viewing of that)
-REC
The "Nightmare at Twenty-Thousand Feet" segment of the Twilight Zone Movie (and even the original tv episode)
Dawn of the Dead (the original)
28 Days Later
The Collective
AG
Ag_07 said:

Jeeper Creepers (when I first saw it but not so much now)

John Matrix
AG
1.The Exorcist- The first time I saw it was a crappy, edited for tv version on TBS in the nineties, and it still scared the crap out of me. Before the internet, I had heard about the Th Exorcist through word of mouth as something that was legitimately unholy. While that obviously wasn't the case, the mystique of it lingered. I legitimately think having constant information through social media/the internet completely kills th mystique of films like The Exorcist and makes it far less scary for future generations.

2. Rosemary's Baby -there are no jump scares, very little make-up, yet this film strikes at one of our greatest fears-slowly losing your mind. While rosemary is proven to not be crazy, that fear transforms into another universally fearbeing a parent under extreme, undeesirable circumstances.

3. The Shining Kubrick was made to make a horror movie and this is proof of that. While I still love the book, the movie takes the eerie ness of isolation and failure to another level.

4.Paranormal Activity-no deep thematic thoughts here, just solid filmmaking that scared the crap out me the first time I saw it. Like most horror franchises, the sequels missed the point, but the original legitimately had me waking up a few times the night after.

5. The Nightmare-this documentary on sleep paralysis is on Netflix and, not-coincidentally, had me up all night after ward.
John Matrix
AG
rdselman95 said:

I forgot about Prince of Darkness. Had Alice Cooper in it. That was a creepy movie.

That's a really underrated carpenter flick. Highly recommended. I have the shout factory blu day which makes it better.
HtownAg92
AG
Top five, not sure about order:

1. The Shining
2. Alien
3. The Ring
4. Amityville Horror
5. Prince of Darkness

Honorable mention: Salem's Lot, Burnt Offerings, Psycho, Exorcist 1 and 3, Halloween, Friday the 13th, Hellraiser, Candyman
Bruce Almighty
AG
Fire in the Sky
People Under the Stairs
The Shining
The Exorcist
Texas Chainsaw Massacre

The first scene of Scream is up there, but the rest of the movie wasn't scary at all.
aTmAg
AG
I saw the Thing (from the 80s) for the first time a few years ago. That mofo holds up.
Texaggie7nine
Saw Blair Witch at a crowded theater and most young people were laughing a lot. I came out thinking it was a complete joke and waste of money.

Gave it one more shot after hearing how scary it was from others and it came to video, so I watched it at home alone late at night. I was terrified.

For me, my list, as others is based on how scared I was at the time, and not how they compare now to modern movies.

Exorcist
Blair Witch
Event Horizon
The Exorcism of Emily Rose
The Shining
7nine
Old Main
AG
It was just mentioned in the post above, but The Exorcism of Emily Rose is the scariest movie that I have ever seen. I had nightmares for two weeks.

I would have to think about the next four.
The Debt
I never understood the Blair witch situation.

The first film had no witch. Just a handful of people filming things poorly.

Then in the 2nd film Blair witch: the book of shadows, there was no "witch" and, also, no "book".

Wtf am I watching?!?
caleblyn
The Ring
Halloween 4 or 5. Fake your pick because you should watch them together anyhow.
Exorcist 3 wigged me out when the chick crawled on the ceiling and jumped out the closet with them sheers
Texaggie7nine
The Debt said:

Then in the 2nd film Blair witch: the book of shadows, there was no "witch" and, also, no "book".

Wtf am I watching?!?
The scariest movies are always the ones where you don't actually see the evil thing that's causing the terror. Sure the creepy old guy in Poltergeist was scary, but the movies were far more scary before you saw the entity that was doing the hauntings. It's why Signs was scary up until the moment you actually saw the aliens.

Blair Witch was extra scary because the self filmed film style made you feel like you were watching something that actually happened.
7nine
tamu80
AG
The Deer Hunter
Swarely
I don't watch scary movies now, so this'll be a list of what scared me the most growing up.

1) Alice in Wonderland (1985)- that jabberwocky scarred me. I'm still freaked out by it.

2) Arachnophobia- caught it as the Sunday afternoon movie on abc. Lived in the country and was scared out of my wits

3) IT- Tim curry is genuinely frightening

4) Scream- looking back it wasn't so bad, but I watched it at much too young of an age

5) Ghost and the Darkness- lions are terrifying
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
From my personal experience at the time of watching --

1. Halloween - Saw it on tv on Halloween night when I was around 8 or 9. Alone and in the dark. One of the best, but most terrifying experiences of my life when it comes to horror movies.

2. Sixth Sense - Scared the **** out of me when I saw it in the theater. Was 11.

I'm not sure about how to rank the rest. In no order --

The Exorcist (Scary, but I saw it around 13/14 and it had been overhyped for me. Was expecting more.)
Halloween II
Psycho
The Birds
Beetlejuice (Used to scare me as a little kid.)
Noblemen06
AG
Gremlins and It freaked me out the most as a kid. I went through a slasher movie phase as a young teenager but they were more thrillers to me than scary movies (Halloween/Nightmare on Elm Street/Scream series)

The only movies that still freak me out are usually demon/possession movies (of which, there have been some great ones over the last few years):

1. The Exorcism of Emily Rose
2. The Conjuring
3. Insidious
4. The Conjuring 2
5. The Babadook

Honorable mentions:
a. Annabelle Creation...the first one was cheesy but the second one was great.
b. The Rite...what's on the screen isn't as scary as the reality of this kind of stuff happening in the world & it being based on a non-fiction book written by a Catholic Exorcist (not trying to open a debate here...believe what you want)
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
1) Alien
2) The Exorcist
3) The Shining
4) Paranormal Activity
5) Poltergeist and The Thing From Another World

edit for honorable mentions: John Carpenter's The Thing, Salem's Lot, The Changeling (George C Scott ghost story that came out circa 1980), The Amityville Horror (1979), and The Fog (1980).

Also gotta add the very first movie to scare the ever living crap out of me from way back when I was 3 or 4 years old - watching some old monster flick on late night TV with my Dad, some sea monster kind of thing that the people captured at some point and put into a decompression module, and a bit later, some kid came in and started pushing buttons, inadvertently re-inflating the sea monster, who's head then came out of the decompression unit like a jack-in-the-box thing on a spring. Terrible, terrible movie that haunted me for years, as I did not know the title of the movie. Then along came Netflix, where I was able to get DVDs mailed to my home of every potential candidate for that movie. Sat through a lot of utter CRAP before I finally found this movie - The Creature That Challenged the World. No longer is it a scary movie.
The Debt
Texaggie7nine said:

The Debt said:

Wtf am I watching?!?
The scariest movies are always the ones where you don't actually see the evil thing that's causing the terror. Sure the creepy old guy in Poltergeist was scary, but the movies were far more scary before you saw the entity that was doing the hauntings. It's why Signs was scary up until the moment you actually saw the aliens.

Blair Witch was extra scary because the self filmed film style made you feel like you were watching something that actually happened.

Its not because the witch was hidden. The first half of the ritual is better than both the BW films.

And signs wasnt creepy because the aliens were hidden the two scariest moments of the film is the birthday party (shows the alien) and the coal shaft (shows the alien).

To parallel that to BW, imagine the kids at the birthday party yelling and screaming then all you see is a dead dog hanging skinned from a tree.
Texaggie7nine
Parents took me to see ET with the rest of the family when I was like 3 or 4 at the theater. I apparently freaked out when Elliot finally sees ET and they both scream their heads off. I was too scared to watch it again till I was like 8
7nine
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The first 20 minutes or so of the movie used to creep me the hell out as a kid.
TCTTS
AG
1. Fire in the Sky
2. Fire in the Sky
3. Fire in the Sky
4. Fire in the Sky
5. Fire in the Sky
Texaggie7nine
TCTTS said:

1. Fire in the Sky
2. Fire in the Sky
3. Fire in the Sky
4. Fire in the Sky
5. Fire in the Sky
If I named my top 6, I would add that.
7nine
boboguitar
AG
Might be an unpopular pick but Paranormal Activity scared the **** out of me like no horror film had in years. It's considerably less scary on multiple viewings and the sequels didn't really do it for me but seeing the first in theaters did it for me.
The Collective
AG
1. Halloween (first scary movie I remember seeing)
2. Poltergeist
3. The Conjuring
4. The Omen
5. Jaws
The Collective
AG
Good call. Paranormal doesn't stand up to repeat viewings, but the first time experience was shocking.
95_Aggie
AG
The Wizard of Oz

Seriously ... the wicked witch and her flying monkeys scared the crap out of me when I was little. It always came on tv during Easter weekend and I couldn't watch it.
Icecream_Ag
S
Pcu
Idiocracy

Oh wait scary movies not documentaries

Umm let me get back to you on that
Max Power
AG
John Carpenter's The Thing
The Shining
Poltergeist
The Exorcist
Jaws
GiveEmHellBill
AG
boboguitar said:

Might be an unpopular pick but Paranormal Activity scared the **** out of me like no horror film had in years. It's considerably less scary on multiple viewings and the sequels didn't really do it for me but seeing the first in theaters did it for me.
This movie parallels the Blair Witch movie for me:

the scenes during the day are when you catch your breath. When night comes......the tension gets unbearable because you know sh*t is about to happen.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
1. The Conjuring
2. The Exorcist
3. Paranormal Activity
4. Insidious
5. The Ring

Honorable Mention: The Witch
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.