Netflix - The Staircase

16,423 Views | 138 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by TP Ag '87
Big Al 1992
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Netflix does a great job in the true crime series. Only 3 episodes so far. I remember this case. What is remarkable is who had the foresight to document this case from both defendant and prosecution side from the beginning. You get to feel what it's like to be a defendant - what it would like to be on the stand, hear evidence against you, and discuss cost of putting up a good defense. Would like to know backstory - not about the case - but the filmmakers view, did they think they were filming an innocent man's defense or a guilty man getting caught.
Bunk Moreland
This was originally released on Sundance channel and after Making a Murderer they re-released it.

Imo it was better than making a murderer. Not surprised Netflix purchased the rights to re-run this.
Big Cat `93
AG
Oh crap, that jury coach. What a goober.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Way too long

Good story but man it is long
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Very interesting case and I recall there was a new theory put forth a few years ago not by the accused or his attorney's but by some local reporter and then many experts have joined in saying it is not only possible but a lot of the evidence is consistent with that theory that an owl attacked her outside, she was bleeding already stumbled up the stairs in a panic hit her head and fell - evidence includes owl feathers in her hand along with her own hair she ripped out, pine needles and other debris as well, blood outside and on the stairs going UP and she stepped in her blood before falling, experts saying the wounds to her head are consistent with large owl talons, etc.

Not sure I'll watch it knowing the verdict and results already.
Big Al 1992
AG
Finished. Looking forward to other thoughts on it. And agreed about 2-3 episodes too long.
Big Cat `93
AG
Nice interview of de Lestrade.

https://www.theringer.com/tv/2018/6/9/17442606/jean-xavier-de-lestrade-staircase-2018
Ag 11
AG
Margaret Ratliff looks just like Mike Peterson and Todd Peterson.
I'm convinced that Mike is her actual dad, not just her adopted dad. He was having an affair with Elizabeth Ratliff until he killed her by the stairs in Germany. That's his real daughter, that's why he took Margaret and her sister in. I'd put money on it
Big Cat `93
AG
You may be onto something there.
Mike Elko
AG
Sweet, will add this to the list.
RossG_2
AG
Defense attorney David Rudolf is the man. Incredible documentary.
Ag 11
AG
Wife and I just burned through all 13 episodes in the last few days. We were hooked from the beginning, I definitely recommend it.
Ag 11
AG
Now we need another show to watch. Any recommendations of something similar?
rynning
AG
Ag 11 said:

Now we need another show to watch. Any recommendations of something similar?

Evil Genius?
https://texags.com/forums/13/topics/2950573
Big Al 1992
AG
RossG_2 said:

Defense attorney David Rudolf is the man. Incredible documentary.

One of those stories I wasn't cheering for the defendant / actually hoping he was found guilty of something/ but hoping the best for the defense lawyer.
Big Cat `93
AG
These kinds of stories have gotten much more interesting to me as I've learned how corrupt and/or inept many DAs/prosecutors are.
boy09
AG
MookieBlaylock said:

Way too long

Haven't watched it yet, but that was my first thought. I thought Wild Wild Country and Evil Genius were good lengths at 6 and 4 eps. Thought maybe WWC could have been reduced to 5 eps pretty easily.

Then i saw The Staircase is 13... I'm still definitely going to check it out. I'm a sucker for Netflix docs.
Bunk Moreland
boy09 said:

MookieBlaylock said:

Way too long

Haven't watched it yet, but that was my first thought. I thought Wild Wild Country and Evil Genius were good lengths at 6 and 4 eps. Thought maybe WWC could have been reduced to 5 eps pretty easily.

Then i saw The Staircase is 13... I'm still definitely going to check it out. I'm a sucker for Netflix docs.

This docuseries was shot covering the case and posing questions about the crime, but also with the rare opportunity to film the suspect, his family, and his legal counsel WHILE the investigation was happening originally, along with the trial, etc.

So yes it's long, but it's not like they are just waiting to reveal things for the sake of it. You're seeing footage of meetings with his attorneys, strategy, investigation by their private investigators, debunking evidence, other investigations that happened in another country that were tied to it and living the twists and turns of the story/trial with them.

It's really fascinating and I think well worth the overall length because of that.
aTmLoKi
AG
Finished it last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. I agree that it was longer than I would've liked, but the second half of episodes were add-ons after the updates to his case took place over the last decade.
Big Cat `93
AG
Just realized the guys taking Ratliff's body to NC stopped to eat at the Hoffbrau steakhouse in Beaumont.
Big Al 1992
AG
Wasn't one of the defense witnesses/experts a lawyer in Making a Murderer? Sure looked like same guy - episode 8 or 10?
Mike Elko
AG
On episode 8, "The Verdict." Realized there are 13 total. Yep, definitely too many.

And I understand it's a crime scene, but I find it disturbing that the family lived in the house with blood all over the staircase. Walking past it daily would drive me insane. Maybe they grew used to it, but no way in hell I could deal with that constant reminder. Strange behavior by all.
Silky Johnston
Yup. The 30 for 30 about the Duke Lacrosse story really shows how a DA can screw over someone if they really wanted to.
Big Cat `93
AG
And I personally know someone who was unfairly prosecuted by a DA who regularly turns a blind eye to the biggest criminal in his county.
Blackstreet
AG
Spoiler alert for those who haven't watched and don't know the outcome******

How the hell does anyone find a body with blood all over the wall and lying in a puddle of blood call 911 and state "my wife had an accident and fell down the stairs" Then when asked how many stairs, he stated "15 to 20..I don't know". To me, he was guilty right there. If it was not witnessed, then no one makes that call without having a story made up for cover.
lawless89
Blackstreet said:

How the hell does anyone find a body with blood all over the wall and lying in a puddle of blood call 911 and state "my wife had an accident and fell down the stairs" Then when asked how many stairs, he stated "15 to 20..I don't know". To me, he was guilty right there. If it was not witnessed, then no one makes that call without having a story made up for cover.

The operator asked multiple times, "how many stairs?"
My thought was, why in the heck does that matter? And I think he was thinking the same thing. So in the moment he's trying to count stairs and just shoots out a ballpark number. Nothing wrong with that to me. It was a weird question for her to ask in the first place, but she's just trying to keep him on the line.

I think he's innocent. He's a weird dude...that's for sure, but doesn't make him guilty. The state tried to use his alternative lifestyle to turn the jury against him and I think that's what pushed them to give a guilty verdict.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Blackstreet said:

That is not how it works

Glad u solved the case tho
Blackstreet
AG
He's the one who said she fell down the stairs, and at that point the number of stairs is irrelevant. If I see someone laying in blood and blood all over the wall, then I am thinking they were shot or Knived as opposed to falling down the stairs. I'm curious as to why this wasn't made a bigger point by the prosecution. Then tie that to the previous woman dying in similar fashion and the lacerations on the head.
Ag 11
AG
Have y'all looked at "The Owl Theory" yet?
Btron
AG
Silky Johnston said:

Yup. The 30 for 30 about the Duke Lacrosse story really shows how a DA can screw over someone if they really wanted to.

Funny you bring this up. Both happened in Durham, NC, and have the same DA. I've only watched two episodes and the lead DA fro Duke LaX is part of the DA's team in staircase. You can recognize him by his mole on his forehead and bug eyes
Blackstreet
AG
The owl theory is more plausible than her falling down the stairs. Something else or someone else was involved in her dying.
Bunk Moreland
Blackstreet said:

The owl theory is more plausible than her falling down the stairs. Something else or someone else was involved in her dying.

Yeah. Michael taking a cane to her head after she found evidence of him being a poof. That's the likely scenario.

Unfortunately the prosecution botched so much of the investigation.
Big Cat `93
AG
Watched a couple more episodes yesterday and came to the conclusion that Hardin's #2 is the lost Sugarbaker sister from " Designing Women."
TP Ag '87
AG
Yeah, her voice was grating.
Anti-taxxer
AG
Ag 11 said:

Margaret Ratliff looks just like Mike Peterson and Todd Peterson.
I'm convinced that Mike is her actual dad, not just her adopted dad. He was having an affair with Elizabeth Ratliff until he killed her by the stairs in Germany. That's his real daughter, that's why he took Margaret and her sister in. I'd put money on it

I was watching episode 2 yesterday and thought the same thing. There's a clip of Mike at an angle that looks exactly like Margaret.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.